EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 8 Dec 2019, 12:41 AM   #1
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

FM Problem

I have been with FM off and on for years. I decided to return to FM and subscribed for a year. Lo and behold i can send mail to GMAIL no probs but cannot send mail to any AOL addresses. FM does not do refunds so i am out of luck . Found AOL Mail was arriving to AOL accts BUT going into SPAM However FM was trying to send and would continue trying to send the mail for so many hours STRANGE

Last edited by sheprd : 8 Dec 2019 at 01:07 AM.
sheprd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8 Dec 2019, 02:25 AM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

A generic advice: ask you AOL correspondents to add your FM address to their address books.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Dec 2019, 03:17 AM   #3
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Thanks Janusz for your response My FM no longer sends messages that goes to my SPAM folder. or tries to keep sending. Just appears to have sent message but no message arrives. Still arrives at GMAIL.
Old 8 Dec 2019, 03:22 AM   #4
Bamb0
Master of the @

I was gonna suggest trying to add the address to your contacts on rhe AOL account.... (Alot on Yahoo have the same problem)

They are really trying to stop spam but they going about it wrong.....
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Dec 2019, 04:01 AM   #5
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Thank Bambo I believe you have found the problem. My emails to AOL have stopped going to Spam they just don't go anywhere and are trying to send them and are trying over and over for so many hours as if address was defective. If all new users have this problem then maybe FM will correct it. It did not used to be this way
Old 8 Dec 2019, 04:37 AM   #6
JamesHenderson
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheprd View Post
...trying to send them and are trying over and over for so many hours as if address was defective...
isn't that correct behaviour?
JamesHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Dec 2019, 06:12 AM   #7
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

I have used FM in the past and never had it refuse to send mail to an AOL acct
Old 8 Dec 2019, 08:31 AM   #8
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Do you have an unusual fastmail domain?
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Dec 2019, 12:48 PM   #9
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

I can sort of understand AOL classing email from senders as spam since they are controlled by the same idiots that control yahoo email and users on the att forums (yahoo is att's email service provider which is run by OATH which also runs AOL) are always complaining about email from known senders being classed as spam (contacts lists is not considered). What I don't understand is the resend attempt(s). If FM is successfully delivering their email to AOL (no matter if they filter it as spam or not) what would cause FM to resend it? And how do you know FM is resending it? Is there something on the FM or AOL side that indicates it's resending?

Might consider sending a ticket to FM support and asking. Or maybe AOL "support" if you can find such a thing.

Last edited by xyzzy : 8 Dec 2019 at 12:59 PM.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Dec 2019, 08:14 PM   #10
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzzy View Post
I can sort of understand AOL classing email from senders as spam since they are controlled by the same idiots that control yahoo email and users on the att forums (yahoo is att's email service provider which is run by OATH which also runs AOL) are always complaining about email from known senders being classed as spam (contacts lists is not considered). What I don't understand is the resend attempt(s). If FM is successfully delivering their email to AOL (no matter if they filter it as spam or not) what would cause FM to resend it? And how do you know FM is resending it? Is there something on the FM or AOL side that indicates it's resending?

Might consider sending a ticket to FM support and asking. Or maybe AOL "support" if you can find such a thing.
Resending often is the result of greylisting. The receiving mail server gives a temporary rejection when it encounters a new sender, expecting the sender to later retry. Mostly, sending is not attempted during automated spam runs. This is considered a good defence against a lot of automated spam attacks. Usually, though, the temporary rejection is changed to an accept when the same message is sent later after a decent interval.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Dec 2019, 12:20 AM   #11
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Thanks to all you great responders. I have decided to use my other email account for a while and see if my FM acct corrects my problem.
Old 10 Dec 2019, 05:33 AM   #12
SideshowBob
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheprd View Post
... and see if my FM acct corrects my problem.
I doubt there's much that FM can do, your problem is most likely entirely caused by AOL
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 2019, 07:52 AM   #13
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Thanks SideShowBob for your response. You may be right. I have had FM before but may not have had an AOL Acct
Old 12 Dec 2019, 04:11 AM   #14
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

FM or AOL has fixed problem, I can now send mail to AOL
Old 12 Dec 2019, 08:27 AM   #15
Bamb0
Master of the @

Im glad everything is ok
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote