EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Early Warning...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Early Warning... If an email service has closed down or changed the services it offers, or if there are indications it is about to do so, post about it here.

Old 10 Apr 2018, 08:32 PM   #1
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

QIP.ru wants only Russian mobile phonenumber to confirmation of email account.

Since a couple of weeks I was unable to reach my accounts on qip.ru.
I needed a russian mobile phone number to do so....my Dutch number was not accepted.

So iow you can NO longer reach accounts made under qip.ru if you do NOT confirmate with a russian mobile number. What exactly the policy of this is I do not know because with most other Russian service you can put in a non-Russian mobile number without any problems (mail.ru/Yandex or Rambler)

Well i did not use them much anyway...it was just that they offer a cool name as "hotmail.ru"...LOL

However i would NOT recommend this service for any serieous email traffic....as their servers are very often down and they also NOT use https...to log in on their site..,-) Which is NOT a good thing imho.

Dutchie.
Dutchie007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14 Apr 2018, 11:34 PM   #2
Greensky

I managed to have my Japanese phone number validated by contacting directly QIP.ru through their website: clicking on the help link, Помощь, you can submit a ticket requesting for help, and indicate your phone number - they would validate it for you and unlock your account.

Of course, I did this by writing a small mail in Russian
Greensky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2018, 03:22 AM   #3
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greensky View Post
I managed to have my Japanese phone number validated by contacting directly QIP.ru through their website: clicking on the help link, Помощь, you can submit a ticket requesting for help, and indicate your phone number - they would validate it for you and unlock your account.

Thanks!! I will give it a try...but it is not that important you know. I hardly used my QIP.ru accounts anyway. Personaly I think Yandex,Mail.ru and even Rambler are far more serious contenders then Qip.

my 2 cents.

Dutchie.
Old 16 Apr 2018, 08:44 PM   #4
Greensky

I quite agree. Qip.ru's servers are often off line during weekends, making it impossible to receive emails or to consult them on QIP's website. Personally I only use this email account to receive some updates related to a running application I installed on my mobile phone.
Greensky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2018, 04:45 AM   #5
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Dutchie, why are you so keen on Russian email services? (if the answer is political in nature, just ignore this question as it would violate the forum rules. If it's about the quality of the services, then please do answer, I'm just curious)

I know Russia has some of the best antivirus systems in the world (Kaspersky etc), so it could be a matter of quality. If you know how to protect yourself against malware, it could also lead to better security in email services that use the local techniques.

Mail.ru has a very bad reputation for being used for spam or malafide activities, a reputation it doesn't deserve since it is so widely used in Russia ... if you have millions and millions of users, you can simply not avoid that occasionally someone will abuse your service. That says nothing about the service itself, and for sure some people abuse Hotmail or Gmail too...
The only Russian service I heard nothing but bad news about is da.ru, a provider of third-level domain names (yoursubdomain.da.ru). Those services are generally a bit amateurish looking but most of them aren't associated with spam or malware (think the many .de.vu, .eu.org, .co.cc, .co.nr, ...) while .da.ru subdomains were used for very dodgy websites. Subdomains of narod.ru are used for regular websites though.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2018, 05:31 AM   #6
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

@Tsunami: I send you a PM.

Dutchie.
Old 25 Apr 2018, 08:50 AM   #7
TenFour
Master of the @

I wouldn't touch any Russian service with a ten-foot pole. With so many reliable and trustworthy European, American, Canadian, and Australian options to choose from, I simply don't see the appeal. Security and reliability are #1 and #2 in choosing email providers.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2018, 02:50 AM   #8
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greensky View Post

Hi

I send a help request yesterday (in Russian offcourse thanks to yandex translator)...at about 20.00 CET..today at 10.00 (CET) I could enter all 3 my accounts at QIP:-) They also put my Dutch cell number in the savety settings. I also notice that they DO use HTTPS when signing in their webmail.

You gotta love these guys...a quick and good respons of the helpdesk. Google and others can learn from this!! This is how a helpdesk should operate!

Dutchie.
Old 28 Apr 2018, 07:15 AM   #9
TenFour
Master of the @

Great, so you've given your phone number to a little-known email provider with virtually no track record outside of Russia?
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2018, 07:13 AM   #10
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

I try to not give my phone number to any services, I don't see why they need it. On the other hand, I also don't see what harm they can do, if a friend would for example pass my phone number to someone in a PM on social media then the "damage" is done too. It's more a matter of principles to me. I'm on the internet so email seems a much more logical method of registration. Regardless where the service is located. Unless we talk about 2FA ; then a cell phone nr can be a handy tool to receive a login code in addition to the password.
Old 4 Sep 2018, 10:13 AM   #11
Nektar1973
Essential Contributor

I have had a Yandex account for about 2 years now for some newsletters , with the app... I get very reliable service, and the Yandex disk service similar to Google Drive is nice, it backs up pictures as I take them. I believe there is nothing wrong with this Russian service...I keep my mail at Protonmail these days, but if you are looking for a decent email address for some lighthearted work, I don`t think you have anything to worry about.
Nektar1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Sep 2018, 07:05 PM   #12
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nektar1973 View Post
I have had a Yandex account for about 2 years now for some newsletters , with the app... I get very reliable service, and the Yandex disk service similar to Google Drive is nice, it backs up pictures as I take them. I believe there is nothing wrong with this Russian service...I keep my mail at Protonmail these days, but if you are looking for a decent email address for some lighthearted work, I don`t think you have anything to worry about.
Another great advantage of Yandex is, that it also has (data)servers in Amsterdam (The Netherlands) and not only in Russia (Moscow) their way of doing things is also more "westernized" then other Russian email services like mail.ru/Qip or Rambler.

The truth needs also be said that sometimes emails from Yandex end up in the spambox of some other free emailers like AOL or Outlook, but that is NOT the fault of Yandex.

I use all of their services since 2013 and I am completely satisfied.

Dutchie.
Old 6 Sep 2018, 03:07 AM   #13
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Dutchie, what do you mean by "more westernized"?

If I may believe comments on this forum, both Yandex and mail.ru are very reliable services, Rambler not so much.
Guess you got good and bad services everywhere, people shouldn't focus too much about the Russian origins of these products. If it's a quality product, why worry where it's from?
Old 6 Sep 2018, 08:55 PM   #14
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
Dutchie, what do you mean by "more westernized"?

If I may believe comments on this forum, both Yandex and mail.ru are very reliable services, Rambler not so much.
Guess you got good and bad services everywhere, people shouldn't focus too much about the Russian origins of these products. If it's a quality product, why worry where it's from?
Well I can't realy explain...if you worked before with Russian email providers you know what I mean. With Yandex (or mail.ru) it just works. With fe Rambler or QIP servers are sometimes down...helppages are only in Russian...or staff only speak Russian etc etc etc...

What I meant to say was that Yandex realy is up todays standards,and imho it can compete with Gmail or Outlook. It realy is a genuine competitor for Google in Russia and most other former Soviet states. And also in Turkey it is well known.

Offcourse i realise that the Russian government also want to "spy" on this,afterall i am NOT naive.We could see that recently when they blocked Telegram services in Russia. However it is very good to see that the Russian people know how to deal with this iow they are very creative to avoid this ban on Telegram.

Dutchie.