EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 24 Mar 2017, 08:45 PM   #31
rkv

pricing - plan change related ?

I've had a paid FastMail account since 2003 but also have dabbled with Gmail, iCloud, and my own server. I am on the "Enhanced" plan which is about to expire and was surprised to see that they were willing to offer me a renewal of the "Enhanced" plan for $35 more than what the same resources would cost under the "Standard" plan. This is primarily due to extra storage charges for the enhanced plan which are included in the standard.

I hadn't been paying attention to their plan change because I have this vague recollection that FastMail's prior business practice was to automatically move you to a new plan if it strictly dominated your current plan at a lower cost. I've looked through my account history and it looks like that happened in 2012. Although, when I contacted customer support they said that yes they would have moved me to the lower cost plan and refunded the difference if I had requested it.

Am I imagining that in the past they would have moved you to the new lower cost plan automatically, if it strictly dominated the plan you were on? Just curious.
rkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2017, 04:39 AM   #32
jhollington
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
Yes, but some people have reported still being able to create Legacy subaccounts in their family plans, which suggests what I proposed may be possible.
Yeah, I definitely appear to be able to change account levels and create new Legacy level sub accounts in my Family plan, although I should note that I haven't actually tried to do it as I have no need for another account right now — for all I know it may fail after clicking the "Purchase" or "Save" buttons, but my gut feeling is that if it wasn't possible, the "New User" button wouldn't still be there in the first place.

That said, I don't think changing an account level is likely to be an issue. However, since Family plans aren't eligible for multi-year renewals, the question would be whether you can shed the "family" part of the plan.

However, I don't see any way of doing this in the current account settings, so I'd imagine you'd have to contact support directly and see if they can do that for you. As it stands, my whole "Family" account gets automatically renewed in April (in my case), and the only options I have under "Billing & Plan" are to renew it now or switch to one of the new plans. Other options for changing plan levels and adding new users are on the "Users" screen.
jhollington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2017, 09:38 AM   #33
placebo
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv View Post
Am I imagining that in the past they would have moved you to the new lower cost plan automatically, if it strictly dominated the plan you were on? Just curious.
I don't recall a case where FastMail offered a new individual account that was cheaper than existing ones but had greater resources, until this last year with the discontinuation of the legacy plans. What is the 2012 instance that you seem to be remembering?
placebo is offline   Reply With Quote