EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 23 Jul 2018, 10:13 PM   #1
m46ah_30
Essential Contributor

How to forward an entire conversation?

I think this should be simple but I've had no success forwarding a conversation of 14 emails to another Fastmail user. I have displayed all 14 emails on one screen but when I click any "Forward" button (command) and forward the message to another FM account I find that FM forwards only some of the emails from the conversation (some are mine, some are the respondent's and others are left out) and those are out of the order in which they were sent/received. All the emails are replies to the same original so they all appear in the same conversation. How do I forward all 14 to the new recipient in proper sequence?

Last edited by m46ah_30 : 24 Jul 2018 at 04:24 AM.
m46ah_30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24 Jul 2018, 05:33 AM   #2
m46ah_30
Essential Contributor

disappointing outcome

I found a rather brief set of instructions in Fastmail's Help items that simply indicated that multiple messages had to be forwarded as attachments. I had already considered that but had honestly expected something a bit more sophisticated than sending on a lengthy list of individual attachments that the recipient had to open, display and read one at a time without having the continuity of what had been opened before.

I was expecting something more along the lines of what I see when I open the list of all 14 messages in my own Inbox and can run down the list clicking each new message to have it open directly below the previous one so that the entire conversation would eventually be displayed as one long script. Frankly, I'm disappointed it what I get instead.
Old 24 Jul 2018, 07:52 PM   #3
hjACFjf4B6

+ 1 Merovingian

That Alias feature is just awesome. I recently noticed that Gmail provided something similar with their +(alias), but there version kind of defeats the functionality because the "base" email is clear as day. I have used Yahoo's version also, and that required pre-configuration before use.

Thanks FastMail!

PS> I which I could reply to an email to alias, and instead of creating an "Identities & Fetch" manually, have the from address automatically use the alias.

PPS> I do use FastMail as a pass-through and use Outlook 2016 as the prior driver and storage. RE: Forwarding problems. Yes, FastMail is lacking in some areas, but I am firm believer in recognizing "core" features and not worrying about the lack of one feature or another given the overall benefit of the service.
hjACFjf4B6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2018, 01:31 AM   #4
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjACFjf4B6 View Post
+ 1 Merovingian

That Alias feature is just awesome. I recently noticed that Gmail provided something similar with their +(alias), but there version kind of defeats the functionality because the "base" email is clear as day. I have used Yahoo's version also, and that required pre-configuration before use.

Thanks FastMail!

PS> I which I could reply to an email to alias, and instead of creating an "Identities & Fetch" manually, have the from address automatically use the alias.

PPS> I do use FastMail as a pass-through and use Outlook 2016 as the prior driver and storage. RE: Forwarding problems. Yes, FastMail is lacking in some areas, but I am firm believer in recognizing "core" features and not worrying about the lack of one feature or another given the overall benefit of the service.
Posted in the wrong topic?
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2018, 02:47 AM   #5
m46ah_30
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
Posted in the wrong topic?
Well... he DID make a vague reference to my issue in the last sentence of his reply. I wonder why he doesn't recognize forwarding as a core feature... an essential and useful part of a email service, and one that I find almost "amateurish" in Fastmail?!
Old 25 Jul 2018, 09:15 AM   #6
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjACFjf4B6 View Post
I which I could reply to an email to alias, and instead of creating an "Identities & Fetch" manually, have the from address automatically use the alias..
If willing to do some suitable prior configuration, this is possible. Briefly, you need to have a separate Folder as the Inbox for your alias, edit the advanced properties for the Folder to use your alias as the default when replying from that Folder, and set up a Rule to direct incoming email to the alias into the Folder.

Having done this, all email you reply to within the web interface will use the correct alias automatically. Indeed, even composing a new email when in the Folder will do the right thing.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2018, 09:09 AM   #7
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Difficulties in combining email thread into one message

Going back to the topic described by the original post and title of this thread:
  • When you choose the Fastmail web or app feature “Group messages with their replies”, the Fastmail system which renders the message thread for viewing does several things:
    • Messages in any folder are shown, no matter which folder you have navigated to.
    • The messages are shown in time order. I believe it’s the order received at the Fastmail server.
    • An attempt is made to hide message content which was quoted by the sender. You can see the hidden content using the “Show quoted text” button.
  • All of these effects are produced only in the user interface you see in the Fastmail app or website. On an email client you may see some of none of these effects.
  • I can’t imagine how Fastmail could easily forward these messages in the same manner you see them in the user interface as a single email. Maybe the main content of each message (before the “Show quoted text” button in the user interface) could be concatenated and formatted as if you separately forwarded each message, but this would be difficult. My guess is that it would turn out to be a big mess unless a lot of work was done, and you would probably still get duplicated or out of order text. Complicating the situation is that some people insert comments after a line or section of a message. Combining all of the possible reply styles and the added complication of those who copy and paste from other emails or rearrange content make it very difficult to create a single seamless combination of the individual emails. That’s why the Fastmail display shows each individual email with apparently quoted content hidden by the “Show quoted text” button.
  • But there is one solution which works in some cases.
    • Open Fastmail in more than one browser window or tab.
    • In one tab, reply or forward based on the latest message in the thread.
    • Using the other window or tab view of the message thread as a reference, copy and paste content into the new message you are creating. You can even use Reply or Forward to format the old messages, then copy and paste the results into the new message.
    • Yes, this is difficult. But you can get the exact results so that the forwarded message contains all of the important information. You could even start out by selecting each of the original messages and using the Forward as Attachment feature to get all of the original content (including attachments on the original messages) into your forward, then copy/paste text into the body to emphasize the important content to the recipient(s) of the combined forward.
    • The key Fastmail feature which makes this possible is opening several instances of Fastmail in different browser windows or tabs.
  • You might also consider how hard it would be to copy this complete EMD thread into one message. The only way to get all of the thread content is to reply to the thread (as I am now) and trying to copy the displayed HTML. Due to HTML formatting for display (such as paging) it would be very difficult unless you copied a display image as a PNG or other image file.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote