EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 10 Nov 2018, 04:15 AM   #1
billwilson

Mail Interface on Windows PC

Many years ago when I began using FastMail as my mailbox I wanted to use a program on my PC to collect my emails on my PC so I could access them without having to have access to the internet after they were first retrieved from FastMail. Back then I used Thunderbird as the resident email program for this purpose on my PC.

Now, many years later, I have constant access to the internet and I am moving to a new PC and I'm wondering if there is a better way to do this on the PC. I would appreciate all suggestions.

Thanks,
Bill
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10 Nov 2018, 08:02 AM   #2
TenFour
Master of the @

There are many ways to access your email on your PC, but if you have a good Internet connection I think the best method is to use the online web access. Outlook.com and Gmail are both excellent in different ways. Windows 10 PCs come with a built-in mail client, but I personally don't think it is very good. If you use Microsoft Office it comes with Outlook, which is the default in most businesses around the world. Again, I'm not a real fan of it. Fastmail has its own web interface too, and many find it very good. It probably comes down to what your specific requirements and desires are.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2018, 11:28 AM   #3
Grhm
Essential Contributor

See this discussion here:
http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=72140
The current Fastmail web user interface is indeed very good.
I would be very surprised if it didn't meet all your e-mail needs.
The only concern about using it exclusively and having no 'mail user agent' such as an app or a client, is that you are making yourself entirely dependent on the whims of a single company.
If (as has happened in the past) Fastmail decide to make radical changes to their web user interface without notice, then you have no choice but to go along with it.
Grhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2018, 01:02 PM   #4
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
If (as has happened in the past) Fastmail decide to make radical changes to their web user interface without notice, then you have no choice but to go along with it.
I suggest always having a complete backup of your email somewhere else with the two linked by IMAP. The backup could be a free provider like Gmail or Outlook.com, which are unlikely to suddenly go away.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote