EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 25 May 2017, 09:19 AM   #16
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
I honestly don't think that pure "theft resistance" is a serious concern when it comes to data anyway — at least not to the extent of it mattering which e-mail strategy you use.
The thing is that when traveling there is more to think about than just losing your data--how you get it back might be even more important, and that's where the pure web solution works well. Your laptop is stolen, you lose all your data if it is stored there. Sure, if you've also been backing up to the cloud you can restore some of it, but that is pretty awkward and slow if you have years worth of email and a slow and limited Internet connection. It's not like you can hang out in the Internet cafe for days while you download your local version of everything. The last time I migrated my email load it took a few hours for Thunderbird to sync it up fully, from my home, using high speed and unlimited Internet. Of course, this assumes you can find a decent laptop in the bazaar with the software you need. How do I know? I have been in that situation in South America with a dead hard drive and it wasn't an easy task to replace/repair hardware, yet I could easily log into Gmail from any Internet cafe that seemed reasonably safe. Maybe not ideal, but it worked reliably. Using cloud services you become somewhat hardware agnostic--your Mac dies and you can switch to using a cheap Windows laptop that you can pick up from someone, even if it is a few generations old and doesn't come with the software you need/want.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 12:15 AM   #17
jhollington
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
The thing is that when traveling there is more to think about than just losing your data--how you get it back might be even more important, and that's where the pure web solution works well. Your laptop is stolen, you lose all your data if it is stored there. Sure, if you've also been backing up to the cloud you can restore some of it, but that is pretty awkward and slow if you have years worth of email and a slow and limited Internet connection.
Sure, that's valid, but I think it's very rare that an e-mail provider these doesn't provide a decent web-based interface. As much as I do 99% of my e-mail work though a third-party client, I know I'd certainly never go with a provider who didn't have that as a good backup option. If I lose my device, or simply don't have access to it for whatever reason, I can hop on the FastMail web interface, and I'm good to go. Add in the ability of FastMail to also sync contacts via CardDAV and you have your whole address book in both places as well.

Quote:
Using cloud services you become somewhat hardware agnostic--your Mac dies and you can switch to using a cheap Windows laptop that you can pick up from someone, even if it is a few generations old and doesn't come with the software you need/want.
Yup, I won't disagree with you there, and if you're talking about more than e-mail, and you're a frequent traveller, I'd pretty much say that G Suite is the only option that's really worth considering, as with that you're completely hardware-agnostic, even for things like your files.... you can live in a world where pretty much everything is simply in the cloud, and switch devices at will. In fact, this is pretty much the whole concept behind the Chromebook.

But if we're talking purely about e-mail services, I don't really see that there's much of a distinction between using an IMAP client and a web interface if you're travelling with your own hardware. I see that as the best of both worlds, since the IMAP client gives you offline access to your e-mail where there's no Internet access, but you still have access to all of your data from the e-mail provider's web interface should you lose your device or find yourself in a place where using it is not really practical.
jhollington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2017, 06:52 AM   #18
TenFour
Master of the @

Noticed this article touting Chromebooks as the ultimate travel device: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/chromeb...travel-device/
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2017, 01:20 AM   #19
beeboy
Cornerstone of the Community

Sadly, chromebooks do not support openvpn. Other than that flaw, they are handy machines and have great battery life.
beeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2017, 11:13 PM   #20
TenFour
Master of the @

Chromebooks do support other VPNs.

Quote:
Five VPN apps are available in the Chrome Web Store, with more coming soon:

Pulse Secure VPN
SonicWALL Mobile Connect
Cisco AnyConnect
F5 Access
GlobalProtect