EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 7 May 2017, 04:35 PM   #1
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

How to End an Email

9 Never-Fail Sign-Offs and 9 to Avoid from grammarly.com

My favourite:
Quote:
Looking forward to hearing from you

This one also sounds nice at first, but it’s ultimately passive-aggressive. Your recipient is likely to hear an implied “You’d better write back.”
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 7 May 2017, 10:05 PM   #2
TenFour
Master of the @

I'm amazed by how many people never change the "Sent from my iPhone" signature. I wonder if they secretly think it conveys status? I get those even for business correspondence.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2017, 12:34 AM   #3
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Usually you don't see your own default signature. Probably you don't know it's there at all....
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2017, 06:09 AM   #4
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
Usually you don't see your own default signature. Probably you don't know it's there at all....
On my wife's iPhone the default email app shows her signature when she composes a new message, and it would show up quite frequently in back-and-forth email threads. I think it is a general symptom of how the world is becoming more and more oblivious to the written language. If it isn't a video a lot of people don't pay attention.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2017, 10:08 AM   #5
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

The appropriate salutation (if any) and closing line (if any) before the signature change depending on the formality assumed in the industry or personal interaction, whether it's an internal company or personal message as opposed to an external message with someone you don't know, and the country. Some emails are written in the form of a formal business letter, while others are very informal.

If persons sent content in emails similar to some posts at EMD (with all-caps and naughty language and a severe implied attitude), they would be fired by many companies. The range of content in emails is very wide.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2017, 08:38 PM   #6
fencershafiq

What kind's of facility by Email?

Hi! I'm new in online. I have not better idea about big facility by email. So anybody can help me?
fencershafiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 12:22 AM   #7
jhollington
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
On my wife's iPhone the default email app shows her signature when she composes a new message, and it would show up quite frequently in back-and-forth email threads. I think it is a general symptom of how the world is becoming more and more oblivious to the written language. If it isn't a video a lot of people don't pay attention.
Yes, it's pretty obvious on iPhone and iPad devices, so people do know it's there, but I suspect a lot of folks can't be bothered changing it, especially if they don't reply from their iPhone that often.

It's normally the first thing I change when I set up my email account on a new iOS device. It's worth noting for Apple Watch users, however, that Apple also by default adds as "Sent from my Apple Watch" tagline, that you won't see unless you look at your sent item after it's been sent, as there's not really a "compose" screen on the Apple Watch. Probably because it's less common, "Sent from my Apple Watch" sounds even more pretentious, although I've toyed with the idea of putting in something like, "Dictated from my wrist, so please forgive any transcription errors." However, since I pretty much never reply to emails from my wrist unless they're to immediate friends, family, and colleagues, it doesn't really matter.

Ultimately, though, I blame Blackberry, not Apple, for starting this practice about a decade ago, and to add insult to injury, most Blackberry devices added the carrier to the default signature (e.g. "Sent from my Blackberry device on the Rogers Wireless network").

There was a different sort of "status" conveyed by it back then that was even more pretentious IMHO... in the early days of Blackberry devices, it was usually only high-powered executives and lawyers who carried them around, so the "Sent from my Blackberry" really did come across as, "Look at me! I'm important enough to have a Blackberry" (how times have changed ).
jhollington is offline   Reply With Quote