EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 9 Dec 2013, 10:41 AM   #1
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
mxroute.com - A new inexpensive email hosting

http://mxroute.com/
It seems being run by a host provider catalysthost.com.
With 1 domain, 1 account, 10GB storage for free.
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 9 Dec 2013, 03:20 PM   #2
drew
The "e" in e-mail

their text says
Quote:
You want to host e-mail for your domain
with a secure provider
So is it a free webmail or does one need
to have a domain for it to be free? Just curious

Yes I know that they may tell that somewhere
but I expected you to give a bit more info on such.

Maybe I am too naive.
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 2013, 04:12 AM   #3
walesrob
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpan View Post
http://mxroute.com/
It seems being run by a host provider catalysthost.com.
With 1 domain, 1 account, 10GB storage for free.
Signed up for this new service. Immediately had problems:
First, mx record is invalid according to my domain host (123-Reg): mxroute.com MX IS NOT VALID. So had to change Nameservers to cloudns to get this MX record to work. To be fair this is an issue with 123-Reg, but still, it's a pain.
Next, there are zero configuration options. Aliases? Forwarding? Webmail? Spam controls?
Next, came authentication errors while attempting to set up account in email client, whether using SSL or not.
Think I'll pass on this one.

Last edited by walesrob : 10 Dec 2013 at 04:22 AM.
walesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 2013, 05:44 AM   #4
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

The dearth of information alone on the site's page, with no links that I can find to any further information, makes it look somewhat dodgy.
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2013, 05:36 AM   #5
Jacinto
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
their text says

So is it a free webmail or does one need
to have a domain for it to be free? Just curious
It's free webmail as well as IMAP or POP3 and SMTP mail.

You cannot sign up without a domain (but, I believe, its mother company will sell you one).

--
Jacinto
Jacinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2013, 05:41 AM   #6
Jacinto
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by walesrob View Post
Signed up for this new service. Immediately had problems:
First, mx record is invalid according to my domain host (123-Reg): mxroute.com MX IS NOT VALID. So had to change Nameservers to cloudns to get this MX record to work. To be fair this is an issue with 123-Reg, but still, it's a pain.
Next, there are zero configuration options. Aliases? Forwarding? Webmail? Spam controls?
Next, came authentication errors while attempting to set up account in email client, whether using SSL or not.
Think I'll pass on this one.
Hello walesrob.

I had no problems with MX RR.

I was able to (a) sign up, (b) login to the "general" administration panel, (c) login to the separate "E-Mail" administration panel (you have to wait for a separate message with your user name, password and URL), (d) set up the one allowed E-Mail account (could have added aliases and forwarders, but didn't), (e) login to and configure Roundcube, and (f) access the E-Mail account with IMAP.

If one doesn't need to be spoon fed and has a little technical knowledge, it's a little challenging at first, but less challenging than euMX's OWM offering.

Ran into a little issue and received immediate, knowledgeable and courteous Tech. Support.

All in all, 10GB of Domain mail for free it's not bad. It'd be nice if we could set up more than one E-Mail account, but, free is free.

However, as with any new provider, we'll have to wait and see how it performs over the next month or two.

--
Jacinto
Old 11 Dec 2013, 06:21 AM   #7
walesrob
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacinto View Post
Hello walesrob.

I had no problems with MX RR.

I was able to (a) sign up, (b) login to the "general" administration panel, (c) login to the separate "E-Mail" administration panel (you have to wait for a separate message with your user name, password and URL), (d) set up the one allowed E-Mail account (could have added aliases and forwarders, but didn't), (e) login to and configure Roundcube, and (f) access the E-Mail account with IMAP.

If one doesn't need to be spoon fed and has a little technical knowledge, it's a little challenging at first, but less challenging than euMX's OWM offering.

Ran into a little issue and received immediate, knowledgeable and courteous Tech. Support.

All in all, 10GB of Domain mail for free it's not bad. It'd be nice if we could set up more than one E-Mail account, but, free is free.

However, as with any new provider, we'll have to wait and see how it performs over the next month or two.

--
Jacinto
Thank you for your reply.

It seems the email with the URL for the email admin panel has not yet arrived, however I was able to set up a single email address and choose a password, but that's all. I also received info about MX records and IMAP ports.

The general lack of information is what frustrates me. I am merely reporting my findings to the forum.

Your comment about EuMX OWN set up a bit unwarranted, there is numerous help articles on this very forum and the EuMX forum.

As for spoonfeeding, in the past, I have used the likes of Tuffmail, Runbox, Polarismail, Google Applications, and Fastmail to set up and configure email hosting for myself and others, so I like to think I do have a bit of 'technical knowledge'.
Old 11 Dec 2013, 07:37 AM   #8
Jacinto
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Thank you for your reply.
You're welcome, walesrob,

Quote:
Your comment about EuMX OWN set up a bit unwarranted, there is numerous help articles on this very forum and the EuMX forum.
I was referring to a normal user who just wants it to work without having to be an expert in the ins and outs of E-Mail, or webmail in particular. I don't believe that MXRoute and euMX are suitable for non-technical users.

Quote:
As for spoonfeeding, in the past, I have used the likes of Tuffmail, Runbox, Polarismail, Google Applications, and Fastmail to set up and configure email hosting for myself and others, so I like to think I do have a bit of 'technical knowledge'.
I intentionally chose my words and said "If 'one doesn't' need to be spoon fed . . . ," instead of "If 'you don't' need to be spoon fed" to make sure that it was a general comment and not directed at you. Obviously, I failed.

I'm sure you have technical knowledge and I apologize if I offended you in any way. As I said, I was trying to do just the opposite.

--
Jacinto
Old 11 Dec 2013, 07:41 AM   #9
walesrob
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacinto View Post
I'm sure you have technical knowledge and I apologize if I offended you in any way. As I said, I was trying to do just the opposite.

--
Jacinto
Jacinto, no worries, you haven't offended me in any way.
Old 26 Apr 2014, 03:55 PM   #10
jarland
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
MXRoute.com
Hey guys! I was just googling the name of my email service and came across this. I had never heard of this site before, looked like a cool place to sign up.

Anyway, thanks for sharing my service, it's not much but I'm proud of it. I wanted to answer a couple posts here. To be clear, I'm not here to advertise anything, just to chat and my apologies I'm a bit late to the conversation. I started catalysthost with my best friend Ryan, who still runs it today, but I had to drop out for a noncompete when I accepted a job at a large hosting company. I now control mxroute in partnership with catalysthost.

@walesrob That's quite interesting about 123-reg. I wonder what they consider to be a valid mx record? As for better documentation, I have some now, all included in the welcome email though.

@xmailer It was kind of intentional. Being a solely "bring your own domain" mail host I wanted to kind of turn away the novice, and I actually didn't expect anyone to find the site that I didn't talk to about it elsewhere. I plan on doing some work in that direction but me and the wife just had our first baby. The catalysthost team handles monitoring, support, and billing, but I handle the rest.

Anyway cool site here, look forward to contributing!
jarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2014, 04:00 PM   #11
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarland View Post
Hey guys! I was just googling the name of my email service and came across this. I had never heard of this site before, looked like a cool place to sign up.

Anyway, thanks for sharing my service, it's not much but I'm proud of it. I wanted to answer a couple posts here. To be clear, I'm not here to advertise anything, just to chat and my apologies I'm a bit late to the conversation. I started catalysthost with my best friend Ryan, who still runs it today, but I had to drop out for a noncompete when I accepted a job at a large hosting company. I now control mxroute in partnership with catalysthost.

@walesrob That's quite interesting about 123-reg. I wonder what they consider to be a valid mx record? As for better documentation, I have some now, all included in the welcome email though.

@xmailer It was kind of intentional. Being a solely "bring your own domain" mail host I wanted to kind of turn away the novice, and I actually didn't expect anyone to find the site that I didn't talk to about it elsewhere. I plan on doing some work in that direction but me and the wife just had our first baby. The catalysthost team handles monitoring, support, and billing, but I handle the rest.

Anyway cool site here, look forward to contributing!
Welcome from LET, I am also a LET user.
You should PM to Edwin for a Representative of your service. Thanks.
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2014, 05:50 PM   #12
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Clicked on the ORDER button for MXfree, and got this:

Oops, there's a problem...

Out of Stock
We are currently out of stock on this item so orders for it have been suspended until more stock is available. For further information, please contact us.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2014, 01:29 AM   #13
jarland
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
MXRoute.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
Clicked on the ORDER button for MXfree, and got this:

Oops, there's a problem...

Out of Stock
We are currently out of stock on this item so orders for it have been suspended until more stock is available. For further information, please contact us.
I just got brave and threw 50 stock in there
Old 27 Apr 2014, 03:30 AM   #14
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarland View Post
I just got brave and threw 50 stock in there
Many thanks, jarland!

I've now signed up to a MXfree account, and set up a domain - all working OK.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2014, 03:43 AM   #15
jarland
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
MXRoute.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
Many thanks, jarland!

I've now signed up to a MXfree account, and set up a domain - all working OK.
Awesome! Little secret, you can make 5 mail accounts

Under promise and over deliver is my motto.