EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 26 Jun 2009, 10:01 PM   #1
zaaz777
Essential Contributor

Yahoo Small Business

Are any of you folks at EMD forums using Yahoo Small Business Custom Mailbox priced at $34.95 per year for hosting your email?
What are your experiences and opinions about this service?
How does it Compare to Fastmail Business email hosting or to Runbox email hosting .
Your opinions?
zaaz777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27 Jun 2009, 12:22 AM   #2
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaaz777 View Post
Are any of you folks at EMD forums using Yahoo Small Business Custom Mailbox priced at $34.95 per year for hosting your email?
What are your experiences and opinions about this service?
How does it Compare to Fastmail Business email hosting or to Runbox email hosting .
Your opinions?
I had used it, good service, 34.95 USD per year for much more mailboxes than FM and others.
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jul 2009, 12:58 PM   #3
beq
Cornerstone of the Community

I think it has positive things about it. Furthermore, the 1000 mailboxes bundled free with the Yahoo webhosting package ($10-13/month) is a good value.

But it would be better if (when) Yahoo allows general IMAP access, instead of limiting it to only select clients. And more powerful features in the areas of email filtering, multiple domain support, etc.

Perhaps over time Yahoo can bring its mail offering more to parity with its subsidiary Zimbra. Actually, Yahoo could even offer its own hosted Zimbra subscription service to the public, perhaps positioned as a higher-end solution than the existing Yahoo Business Email...
beq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jul 2009, 03:14 PM   #4
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Our organization has been using Yahoo! Mail for Small Business for 2 or 3 years. It's a good value with 200 large mail boxes and website host -- all for only $13 per month. Zimbra recently improved its desktop mail app (version 1.0) to support Yahoo Small Business mail. They don't show what the mail protocol is, but it behaves just like IMAP. It's actually really nice.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jul 2009, 03:23 PM   #5
beq
Cornerstone of the Community

The Zimbra developers had in the past confirmed that the Yahoo mail support in Zimbra Desktop is using IMAP. Yahoo apparently grants IMAP access to a select few clients including Zimbra Desktop (and 3rd parties that emulate the authentication).
beq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jul 2009, 11:10 AM   #6
William9
The "e" in e-mail

There you have it: Zimbra is a good desktop e-mail client, free, and provides IMAP access to Yahoo! mail, Yahoo Small Business, and others. It has other features like calendar, address book, et. which synchronize.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jun 2010, 10:04 AM   #7
CyberSaint
Essential Contributor

I had this same question -- I'm glad I did a search on the topic before starting a new thread.

Yahoo seems to be pretty slick with its email, and I've been considering it for use with my own domain mail name. IMAP access isn't that important to me.

The addition of Zimbra would make Yahoo business even more appealing.
CyberSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jun 2010, 04:31 AM   #8
CyberSaint
Essential Contributor

Unhappy

I just worked a little more with Yahoo -- there are no sub-folders available, which are very important to me. I'll be looking elsewhere.
CyberSaint is offline   Reply With Quote