EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 6 Feb 2016, 01:17 AM   #16
mekitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekitron View Post

May I know, what does "OP" means here?
I got it. It means, original post.
mekitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Feb 2016, 01:26 AM   #17
mekitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioneja View Post
Hope that helps a little. Please let us know if you find out anything else!
This is extremely helpful. Many thanks for the kind reply. I think, I have to better learn more from Jekyll wiki itself, so it can be determined that how FM file hosting will be suitable for supposed blog, and if worked then it will be a gem without ruby.

Quote:
the output -- that is, HTML, CSS -- can be hosted just fine.
I think, FM supports all kind of front-end technologies. Adding JavaScript wouldn't be bad for your websites.
Old 6 Feb 2016, 02:17 AM   #18
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
I would recommend Google Sites to set up a simple web site - they have templates to get you started, and you can also manually enter HTML code to get a great result.

You can also map your own domain name to a Google Sites web site.

Also, important nowadays - just check/tick a box, and your site is optimised for small (ie; phones) screens.
Thanks Fred: I will look at Google sites as well. It always pays to shop around.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Feb 2016, 03:27 AM   #19
ioneja
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekitron View Post
I think, FM supports all kind of front-end technologies. Adding JavaScript wouldn't be bad for your websites.
Yes, anything you put in your xxxxx.html file itself -- be that actual HTML, or CSS, or JavaScript, or Egyptian hieroglyphics -- doesn't matter... you can put that in there and the FM server will pass that right through, unaltered, to the web browser on the receiving end. The .html file is just a text file, it's the browser on the receiving end that parses it and renders the final output for the user...

The only thing that will NOT work in the .html file in this case is anything that has to be parsed/processed on the *server* side... since there is nothing there on FM's side that will process it.... i.e.: if you include a PHP script in a file on FM's server, FM will do nothing with the PHP script... it will just send that text, like any other text, along blindly to the browser of the user.
ioneja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Feb 2016, 11:07 PM   #20
mekitron

FM and Jekyll

Future of my blog is FastMail and Jekyll. I can't say, how great the combination is. I would say, Email, Contacts, Calendar and Websites done.

Thanks for your time ioneja and everyone else in this discussion.
Old 8 Feb 2016, 07:42 PM   #21
rnkn

Not to knock FastMail's file storage / website hosting (which I love) but if you're using Jekyll, why not just use GitHub Pages?

It's free and you only need to push changes to your GitHub gh-pages branch and GitHub will do the Jekyll regeneration server-side. Easier than uploading the "_site" folder every time.
rnkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Feb 2016, 07:44 PM   #22
mekitron

GitHub Pages vs FastMail Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnkn View Post
if you're using Jekyll, why not just use GitHub Pages?
GitHub limits each repo to 1GB storage. And, your website's "everything" will be out there to be used by anyone.
Quote:
It's free
Yes, it's free so the FM storage. It doesn't cost anything extra.

Quote:
GitHub will do the Jekyll regeneration server-side. Easier than uploading the "_site" folder every time.
This way, I won't be able to use any plugins Jekyll offers. Again, to empower my Jekyll site with plugins, I'll have to upload "_site" folder to xxxx.github.io repository every time.

There are many other choices like OpenShift and Heroku but eventually, they have limits. FM does have limits but there are no limits until the site is "Static". Better to use Github repo for a resume and +1 the number of repos. Moreover, learning new tools every day will hinder my productivity. Life is already complex.

Many thanks for the contribution. You are a good guy.

Last edited by mekitron : 28 Mar 2018 at 08:10 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 27 Mar 2018, 06:49 AM   #23
17pm
Cornerstone of the Community

mekitron, did you manage to host your jekyll website with fastmail? If so, care to share some tips?
17pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2018, 08:32 PM   #24
mekitron

Smile _Site

Glad to see your post. How have you been recently?

The only way to host a Jekyll site with Fastmail is to produce the final copy of your site to _Site folder and upload it. Many of the plugins work flawlessly except emoji plugin, in my case, as FM engine is unable to render them. I never tested any forms because I do not need contact or subscription forms. Also, I am no more FM user as I was auto-kicked out after pricing changes last year. It is possible that they have better support for static files now like emojis.