EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 4 Mar 2017, 04:27 AM   #16
OneTrickPony

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflorack View Post
Ten years ago, you probably thought "FM will be around forever, so I'll use their domain". You should probably learn from your mistakes..
My Lycos, Juno, and Excite emails are still kickin' after nearly fifteen years. So there's that.

As for Fastmail.fm like, I think Netcourrier.com is a LOT like it.

My favorite service is still from Sanriotown, though plenty of people probably wouldn't want a .hellokitty.com email address, lol.
OneTrickPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Mar 2017, 08:02 AM   #17
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
The giants like Google, Yahoo and even AOL will be around for as long as email will be around.
I think you're right about Google, but not sure about Yahoo and AOL the way things are going. I suspect a lot of people are somewhat embarrassed to use a Yahoo or AOL address today. On the other hand, I encounter a lot of business people using Gmail addresses even if they also have domain email--they seem to be considered acceptable by most, as long as your address isn't something like drunkensailor@gmail.com.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Mar 2017, 06:53 PM   #18
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
I encounter a lot of business people using Gmail addresses even if they also have domain email--they seem to be considered acceptable by most, as long as your address isn't something like drunkensailor@gmail.com.
I don't think Jack Tar will be quite so jolly if he's suddenly receiving spam in his Gmail account:

https://s11.postimg.org/nk6lztps3/drsa.jpg
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Mar 2017, 01:05 AM   #19
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
if he's suddenly receiving spam in his Gmail account:
One of the best features of Gmail is the best Spam filtering in the business. I've had various email addresses of mine published all over the Internet for many years and yet I see very little Spam, and on the other side of the coin most of the good stuff gets through. Also, I find that if you report something as Spam the system learns very well.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Mar 2017, 04:07 PM   #20
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrickPony View Post
My Lycos, Juno, and Excite emails are still kickin' after nearly fifteen years. So there's that.
You've completely missed the point. There are certainly providers have lasted a fair amount of time, but my comment was addressing the "will be around for as long as email will be around" part.
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Mar 2017, 10:31 PM   #21
mf1941
Essential Contributor

I wouldn't worry at all about AOL, YAHOO etc...
If anything expect the services to get better...

They are both owned by VERIZON, they are in the communications business.
You are their business, they make money from you using their services.

I could easily see AOL/YAHOO combining into (1) entity down the line & offering a better email product to compete with Gmail & Outlook.com.
mf1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2017, 04:07 AM   #22
SethM

Representative of:
Rollernet.us
There's still enough people around who prefer to use a smaller email provider for support reasons. Unlike the big guys, they can get better support from a person at the small company that doesn't work off a script of canned responses.
SethM is offline   Reply With Quote