EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > The Technical Zone...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Technical Zone... The Geeky forum... Use this forum to discuss technical aspects of email, from authentication protocols to encryption.

Old 28 Apr 2017, 07:12 AM   #16
TenFour
Master of the @

This thread is a good example of why standards are needed in the world--one messaging standard that works across all apps would make life simpler and better. The closest things we have are email, SMS, and MMS, so that's what I use. You have shown us these don't work for you, but if you switch and find the perfect proprietary app system to communicate to this person you will definitely find you have now cut off many other people in the world. Myself, I find that if I meet someone, a random stranger, and we want to communicate again I tell them my email address and 99.9% of the time that is acceptable. I like that type of universal communication platform. Personally, I would find it unacceptable to live without email, even if it meant I could only download my correspondence once a month or so when I went into town. In fact, I have lived that way for years onboard boats. It beats snail mail, and means you can stay in touch with almost everyone in the world, whether a government tax office, a company collecting money, or a friend.

Last edited by TenFour : 28 Apr 2017 at 07:28 AM.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2017, 03:49 AM   #17
Gankaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccl1 View Post
For example I've gone through at least a dozen apps for email... and I still haven't found one that I absolutely *love* all of them are just kind of 'meh'

I've run into the same thing trying to find an app to replace hangouts. All of the apps seem like cookie-cutter in the gui... I'm starting to think maybe there is some generic sms app code/template that they all use.
I guess this is why great things are invented, built and discovered. People get sick of someone else's "meh" and they decide to put out something they love. Which ends up being what other people love.

So you got two great business ideas there...email and sms...to improve upon.

TenForward, I agree about the standards. That's been such a problem. Why don't they standardize? Because companies are greedy. It's all about money (for themselves) and not wanting to share technology (due to fear of loss of money to themselves). It hurts everyone and hurts technological progression. If we'd make one standard for things, then we could go about advancing to the next thing, instead of spending time and wasting money making 50 different company versions of a product that don't work together well and are patchworked to make them work with some other company's version. It's a really ugly and selfish way of doing things, and is and promotes small thinking. That kind of thinking keeps advancement pressed down under thumb.

Last edited by Gankaku : 29 Apr 2017 at 03:55 AM.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote