EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 6 Mar 2018, 02:07 AM   #1
md2

Aliases and privacy?

Anyway an alias can be connected to the primary address or to the IP address?
md2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 6 Mar 2018, 02:31 PM   #2
xenas

Yes, it can to the primary address. But Alias meaning another e-mail?
xenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Mar 2018, 08:34 PM   #3
md2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenas View Post
Yes, it can to the primary address. But Alias meaning another e-mail?
Exactly how? As far as I can tell neither my IP address or my primary Fastmail address appears in the receiving header when I send an email using an alias.
Old 6 Mar 2018, 09:05 PM   #4
misc
Essential Contributor

Hi md2, welcome to the forum!

The intention of your initial question wasn't clear to me, but yes, you're right. The receiver of an email won't see your primary FastMail address or your IP, at least as long as you use the FastMail web client. Not sure if there are some POP or IMAP clients that may reveal that information in their headers.

Cheers,
Michael
misc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Mar 2018, 09:29 PM   #5
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Welcome to the EMD Forums!

If you use the FastMail web interface to send from an alias at your account, the recipient will not be able to determine your FastMail primary (login) address or your computer IP address. They can see in the full headers that the message was originated at FastMail using the web interface and sent through their outgoing server.

If you use a local email client connected to FastMail to send a message the results are the same except that your PC IP address will be visible to the recipient. The FastMail outgoing SMTP server will add a header with that information, as is done for most servers when relaying a message.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Mar 2018, 08:48 AM   #6
md2

Quote:
Originally Posted by misc View Post
Hi md2, welcome to the forum!
Thank you!
Quote:
The intention of your initial question wasn't clear to me, but yes, you're right. The receiver of an email won't see your primary FastMail address or your IP, at least as long as you use the FastMail web client. Not sure if there are some POP or IMAP clients that may reveal that information in their headers.

Cheers,
Michael
I almost thought so, but better to be sure. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
Welcome to the EMD Forums!
Thank you!
Quote:
If you use the FastMail web interface to send from an alias at your account, the recipient will not be able to determine your FastMail primary (login) address or your computer IP address. They can see in the full headers that the message was originated at FastMail using the web interface and sent through their outgoing server.

If you use a local email client connected to FastMail to send a message the results are the same except that your PC IP address will be visible to the recipient. The FastMail outgoing SMTP server will add a header with that information, as is done for most servers when relaying a message.

Bill
Very good to know about local email clients since I'm using Thunderbird most of the time due to the lack of search in the calendar. Thanks.