EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 28 Oct 2006, 02:54 AM   #1
MikeL
Essential Contributor

DNS Question

I posted this in the outage thread, but it occurred to me I might have better luck getting an answer here:

I currently have my own domain, registered via 1&1, but have my MX records pointing at the messagingengine.com servers. If I temporarily redirect my MX records to my 1&1 account, will backlogged email go there, or is will it still be in the queue at FastMail?

-Mike
MikeL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28 Oct 2006, 03:42 AM   #2
mcowger
Cornerstone of the Community

Re: DNS Question

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeL
I posted this in the outage thread, but it occurred to me I might have better luck getting an answer here:

I currently have my own domain, registered via 1&1, but have my MX records pointing at the messagingengine.com servers. If I temporarily redirect my MX records to my 1&1 account, will backlogged email go there, or is will it still be in the queue at FastMail?

-Mike
FUTURE email will go there, not backlogged. Byt he time the rest of the internet picks up your MX changes, FM will be fixed, so I'm not sure its such a useful way to go.
mcowger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2006, 04:25 AM   #3
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

Re: Re: DNS Question

Quote:
Originally posted by mcowger
Byt he time the rest of the internet picks up your MX changes, FM will be fixed,

A personal domain isn't likely to be very widely cached, I've found that test messages will generally follow the new records immediately. Typically the others will pickup the change within the hour.
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2006, 07:17 AM   #4
mcowger
Cornerstone of the Community

Re: Re: Re: DNS Question

Quote:
Originally posted by DrStrabismus
A personal domain isn't likely to be very widely cached, I've found that test messages will generally follow the new records immediately. Typically the others will pickup the change within the hour.
I've found that many mailservers out there (not the big F/OSS ones, but I HAVE seen exchange and iPlanet do this) ignore TTL's for MX lookups and just wing it .
mcowger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2006, 07:36 AM   #5
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

I have my own domain with F/m and all my mail is being forwarded to another mailbox and its working well...I cant even log in to F/m.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote