EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 21 Feb 2017, 10:14 PM   #1
geedee

New Functionalities Imperative for Aged Accounts

I'm a longtime fastmail user and advocate; 13 years on my main account and 5 prior on another.

I've been struggling for a few years now to keep things neat/tidy, and I'm at the stage where efficient maintenance and management is being eclipsed by inefficient functions. I'm considering downgrading my account and moving.

I just used Unroll.me in my Gmail account to delete 150K useless emails and unsubscribe from 200+ long-useless senders/newsletters, etc. It took about 15 minutes.

Doing the same in fastmail would take half a day.

Fastmail really needs to start considering a new class of power tools for maintenance and bulk processing, especially for aged accounts. For example, click-by-click creation of rules and sorting is good, but it's not useful for large-scale, retroactive maintenance. I can't work for a few hours a given morning to create 60 rules.

Some requests:
-Bulk unsubscribe and cleanup a-la Unroll.me.
-Drag-drop dynamic rule creation. I drag an inbox email to a folder and I get a dialog asking if I want to automatically create a matching rule and also move all matching emails -- all at once.
-Email-by-sender counts and data use (reporting).
-More analytics in general.

I REALLY want to stick with fastmail. I need to start seeing a new category of features that support what I think is an emerging use case.

Email is a long-matured technology. It is imperative to start engineering functionality that address this time horizon and the complexity of the data and structures users have built up over time. Not only is this necessary, but it is an approach that could really differentiate Fastmail.

Last edited by geedee : 24 Feb 2017 at 12:56 AM.
geedee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23 Feb 2017, 11:14 PM   #2
digp
Master of the @

Quite

I agree

And when will EMD upgrade this forum software so it's mobile friendly?
digp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2017, 11:22 AM   #3
Mugwhamp
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by digp View Post
It is so aggravating navigating this forum on my iPhone SE. I don't understand why there isn't a mobile version or Tapatalk access either.
Mugwhamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2017, 09:27 PM   #4
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Quite

I agree

Don't count on that.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2017, 07:57 AM   #5
digp
Master of the @

alternative to this board?
digp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2017, 01:30 PM   #6
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
alternative to this board?
I do not think moving would be an option and, lack of mobile friendly features notwithstanding, EMD is a pretty good place for the forum.

Moving would initially split the community, even if eventually most became aware of the new forum and moved across. Specifically, while FastMail participation at EMD has been pretty minimal in recent times, it would be nil at a new site.

The main reason EMD is still a good place for us is Edwin. He is a tough character with his own ideas, and we may not always agree with him. However, we always know where we stand with him, and we can 100% trust the board policies. Knowing that our privacy is protected and we are not being secretly monetized is important to me, and I think others. Very little spam gets through to the forum, and it is quickly addressed when it does occur. Sure, technical improvements would be nice, but they are only marginal to the forum's overall value.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2017, 04:06 PM   #7
17pm
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
The main reason EMD is still a good place for us is Edwin. He is a tough character with his own ideas, and we may not always agree with him. However, we always know where we stand with him, and we can 100% trust the board policies. Knowing that our privacy is protected and we are not being secretly monetized is important to me, and I think others. Very little spam gets through to the forum, and it is quickly addressed when it does occur. Sure, technical improvements would be nice, but they are only marginal to the forum's overall value.
What the hell are you talking about? This forum uses GA.
17pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2017, 04:44 PM   #8
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17pm View Post
What the hell are you talking about? This forum uses GA.
It seems as though many people just go nuts when they see anything that includes Google's name, without any attempt to determine the true implications. The information collected by Google Analytics does not allow Google to know who uses EMD. Reviewing https://support.google.com/analytics.../6004245?hl=en might help you to understand the privacy (non) concerns with use of GA. For instance
Quote:
The Google Analytics terms of service, which all Google Analytics customers must adhere to, prohibit sending personally identifiable information (PII) to Google Analytics. PII includes any data that can be used by Google to reasonably identify an individual, including (but not limited to) names, email addresses, or billing information.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote