EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > The Technical Zone...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Technical Zone... The Geeky forum... Use this forum to discuss technical aspects of email, from authentication protocols to encryption.

Old 10 Aug 2017, 08:41 AM   #1
everestever

Hosting email server at home but ISP blocks port 25, any solutions?

I am trying to set up an email server in my home network for my hobby blog site. Comcast blocks port 25 so I cannot run the server on port 25. Any workaround?
everestever is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10 Aug 2017, 11:51 AM   #2
ReuvenNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by everestever View Post
I am trying to set up an email server in my home network for my hobby blog site. Comcast blocks port 25 so I cannot run the server on port 25. Any workaround?
Change to 26
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Aug 2017, 06:18 AM   #3
jhollington
Essential Contributor

You don't specify whether port 25 is blocked inbound or outbound, but I'm going to assume the latter as that's what most ISPs do.

Unfortunately, the only solution for this is to use an outbound SMTP relay service. Theoretically, you might be able to relay all of your outbound mail through your ISP's SMTP server, but that may or may not work depending on your ISP's restrictions on outbound mail. Alternatively, there are third-party providers that offer mail relay services expressly for this purpose. EasyDNS' easySMTP comes to mind, and I know the DynDNS used to offer a simple service for this, but I think it's been wrapped up into their bigger enterprise-level offerings, so I don't think the basic relay service still exists. You can probably shop around and find others.

That said, there's probably no reason you can't give Comcast a shot for this, since as you say it's mostly a hobbyist thing. You'd need to configure your outbound mail server to use port 587 and authenticate to Comcast with your Comcast user ID and password. How you do this will depend entirely on what mail server you're using.
jhollington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2017, 08:43 AM   #4
everestever

Thank you for your input. Port 25 was blocked both inbound and outbound. I did set up the email server on port 26 but had to use inbound and outbound SMTP relay. I used Dynu's email store/forward which receives emails for my domain and forward them to my server on port 26.

I took a look at EasyDNS' easySMTP, but $70+ a year was a bit over my budget. Luckily the same Dynu offered outbound SMTP relay as well. Paid $9.99/year for 200 emails a day.
everestever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Oct 2017, 05:04 PM   #5
FredM

Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReuvenNY View Post
Change to 26
Even I suggest the very same.
FredM is offline   Reply With Quote