EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 6 Nov 2012, 10:53 PM   #1
danl

One-click 'move to folder'

SOME THINGS HAVE CHANGED AND I'M FURIOUS, RAAAAAARGH

Not really, good job on the redesign guys.

One request - I found the old one-click 'move current email to this folder' button, that appeared next to each folder in my folder list, really useful. Any chance we could have it back? The new process is more cumbersome.

It's been replaced by a count of how many emails are in each folder. But I'd argue that that information isn't hugely useful, and doesn't deserve its current prominence. Instead, the count could just be appended to the end of the folder name in parentheses. Doing that would recreate space for the old 'move to this folder' button.
danl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 9 Nov 2012, 01:37 AM   #2
amoebob

One-click 'move to folder'

You can now drag and drop one or more emails onto a folder.
amoebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2012, 05:40 AM   #3
mgem

You can't drag and drop when you are in the message screen. That only works when you are in the folder. When you are reading a message, the only way to move a message is to go to the move menu and select the folder you want to move it to. More time consuming, plus the folder list I get is all my folders and sub folders, which is quite a list. If you need a folder that's at the bottom, you might have to do some scrolling.

I also miss the "move to folder" buttons.
mgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2012, 07:59 AM   #4
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

I thought that perhaps dragging to the "Delete", "Archive" , "Move to" etc. buttons should work (with "Move to" and "Mark" they would open the menu and allow dragging to items in the menu)
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2012, 12:41 PM   #5
macay

Yes, please bring the button back!!
I always thought that the ultra-quick move button was one of the best features of the fastmail web client and was really shocked when I realized that it's gone
However, I just noticed that you can press "m" and then type the beginning of a folder into the search box of the Move To menu to quickly select the folder you want to move the current message to.
macay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2012, 02:22 PM   #6
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Maybe as time goes by, and FastMail adds more functionality to the new interface, they would make it have an "advanced" mode, and in the advanced mode, hovering over a folder in a folder list would show a "move" button and a "copy" button (in the "moveto" menu only a "copy" button, and in the "file in" menu that hopefully would be somewhere near the "send" button in the message compose area, when composing a replyu of forwarding, there would be "together with original" to file both the reply and the message being replied). Of course this can be made to work with dragging a message too.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Nov 2012, 08:56 AM   #7
the bishop
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgem View Post
You can't drag and drop when you are in the message screen. That only works when you are in the folder. When you are reading a message, the only way to move a message is to go to the move menu and select the folder you want to move it to. More time consuming, plus the folder list I get is all my folders and sub folders, which is quite a list. If you need a folder that's at the bottom, you might have to do some scrolling.

I also miss the "move to folder" buttons.
sigh .... this.
the bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Nov 2012, 08:57 AM   #8
the bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaso View Post
Maybe as time goes by, and FastMail adds more functionality to the new interface, they would make it have an "advanced" mode, and in the advanced mode, hovering over a folder in a folder list would show a "move" button and a "copy" button (in the "moveto" menu only a "copy" button, and in the "file in" menu that hopefully would be somewhere near the "send" button in the message compose area, when composing a replyu of forwarding, there would be "together with original" to file both the reply and the message being replied). Of course this can be made to work with dragging a message too.
It sounds like you're asking them to eventually give back what we had already.
Old 4 Dec 2012, 12:58 AM   #9
Mystakill

Quote:
Originally Posted by the bishop View Post
It sounds like you're asking them to eventually give back what we had already.
I don't think it's an at all unreasonable request, especially considering how much functionality is still missing.

I do find the new way to be faster and easier though; hit 'M', type part of a folder name, and then hit Enter. With the move to folder buttons, I'd first have to scroll down, find the destination folder, and then click the tiny button next to it. While that sounds simple enough, it's easy to overshoot or miss the folder and/or button on occasion.
Mystakill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Dec 2012, 04:04 AM   #10
the bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystakill View Post
I don't think it's an at all unreasonable request, especially considering how much functionality is still missing.

I do find the new way to be faster and easier though; hit 'M', type part of a folder name, and then hit Enter. With the move to folder buttons, I'd first have to scroll down, find the destination folder, and then click the tiny button next to it. While that sounds simple enough, it's easy to overshoot or miss the folder and/or button on occasion.
<sarcasm directed at Opera's lack of vision below, not you Mytakill>
Which is good for you keyboard warriors, but for us on these newfangled things called tables, typing is not as easy on those ... having that button was great. But hey, tablets aren't the future, it's still keyboards and .... oh wait Most executives I know are in the same boat, so I'm guessing that sort of issue totally missed the Opera folks (which is not surprising, 4th place misses quite a few things in browsers too).
</sarcasm>

When I'm on a laptop or desktop that is a fine solution, but usually am not on that.
Old 4 Dec 2012, 09:38 PM   #11
Mystakill

I generally tend to avoid using the web UI when I'm on my tablet. Historically, they've always had limitations and/or looked too wonky to use on a regular basis. That may have changed with the new UI, but I haven't looked. Besides, without a real keyboard, I tend to only read through mail on my tablet, and respond to it later when I'm on my laptop or desktop.

Also, since personal electronics and IMAP connections are verboten where I work, I have to rely on the web UI, such as it is. (Which is generally why I'm one of the first to start hacking on FM's new UIs in order to make them easier to use, more functional, and/or less ugly.)
Mystakill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2012, 07:28 AM   #12
the bishop

The thing that I guess will always baffle me is Opera could have just kept the functionality that was already there and upgraded/updated the rest. They would have had a chance to have a product that was not always #4 on the list while the good products soared above them. But it was not to be. It's like they are scared of having to support a successful product (well, one that most people like in any event).

Oh well - I'm sticking with the old interface while I still have to work off my 5 year enhanced (3 years and counting), but have moved on to Polarismail as George is updating for the better of his customers, which is a novel concept.
Old 2 Jan 2013, 09:23 PM   #13
johanborg
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
Opera.com
I quite like the Move to button. In fact, I liked it so much I filed a bug report on it. The Melbourne team had better arguments than Oslo, so I wouldn't expect it back unless we find a way that takes both existing and new users properly into account (even I must admit it's not the most intuitive interface element of Fastmail).

Off topic:
It's not easy to tell whether Opera could have had more users if we hadn't been so conservative about maintaining old features and settings as we have been. Whether our global position is a miracle (looking at who we compete against) or underachievement, we're at least increasingly profitable
johanborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jan 2013, 12:07 AM   #14
the bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanborg View Post
I quite like the Move to button. In fact, I liked it so much I filed a bug report on it. The Melbourne team had better arguments than Oslo, so I wouldn't expect it back unless we find a way that takes both existing and new users properly into account (even I must admit it's not the most intuitive interface element of Fastmail).

Off topic:
It's not easy to tell whether Opera could have had more users if we hadn't been so conservative about maintaining old features and settings as we have been. Whether our global position is a miracle (looking at who we compete against) or underachievement, we're at least increasingly profitable
Eggggsellent Johan. Glad you're on and replying. That's really all I think that we want is to have some sort of reply and I thank you for that. Also good to hear that it might come back as I really want to like the new layout.

To your aside: while I don't disagree with profits, but here in the US our lobbying industry puts profits over health and safety so I don't know if that's a good thing or not. YMMV but as long as you guys are surviving or growing and FM can stay (and can get back to where it was good) then I'll be happy.
Old 13 Jan 2013, 10:18 AM   #15
JMac
Essential Contributor

Buttons aside, how do you copy a message to a folder?

Some messages are related to two different folders, and in those cases I like to copy to one and then move to the other. Can't find the "Copy to" command/action.

Anyone found this?

Thank you.

Jim
JMac is offline   Reply With Quote