EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 20 May 2017, 12:22 AM   #361
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
Just tested, worked fine.
DL and unzipped them, I clicked on one and it opened up in "windows live mail" . Not sure what that is. Is that something embedded ?

I was planning on opening it via Word pad or another text editor.
The format is an email specific format. You must use a compatible mail client to be able to read the messages. Windows Live Mail is such a program, and set up in your computer as the default application for opening .eml files. Technically, you can open the messages using a text editor, and probably get a gist of the contents, but the format will look strange to you.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2017, 01:41 AM   #362
cowboy

So windows live mail is the default .... for like outlook etc ,which I don't use.

When right clicking on the file, it doesn't give an "open with" option (like a text editor) any ideas on how to open it with something other than windows live ?
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2017, 02:04 AM   #363
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
So windows live mail is the default .... for like outlook etc ,which I don't use.

When right clicking on the file, it doesn't give an "open with" option (like a text editor) any ideas on how to open it with something other than windows live ?
Right now, Windows Live Mail is your default. If you installed Thunderbird, I think you have the option of making that the default.

I am quite surprised you do not get an Open With option when right clicking. Perhaps, you will with Shift+right click. Otherwise, to use a text editor, open the program, and then (in almost all cases) you can use Ctrl-O to initiate the Open File dialogue to select the file to be opened.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2017, 03:28 AM   #364
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

You must be looking at the zipped list (which doesn't allow right-click open). Here is how this works in Windows 10 (earlier versions of Windows will be different, as will other operating systems):
  • If you used the Fastmail archive feature, you received an email which has a link to download the zipped archive. Click that link and you should see a window which allows you to open the zip archive (with Z-Zip File Manager by default) or save the file.
  • Choose Save File. Depending on your browser, you will find the file in the default download folder. In Windows 10 using Firefox you can find the downloaded file in the This PC > Downloads folder. You should see (using File Explorer) that the icon for the file type includes a blue Z. This means it's a zipped file.
  • If you double-click the .zip file you will see a list of the contents (the individual emails). But there isn't a "open with" choice in the 7-Zip file manager.
  • Now that we see what doesn't work, let's use what works. While you are in the Z-Zip file manager viewing the list of messages, select one (or more than one) message and then click the Extract button at the top. Choose a folder and click OK.
  • The messages you selected will now be in the folder you selected. They are stored in .eml file format. You can right-click a file and choose Open with... and pick which viewer you wish. I can choose the following (which depends on what text or email viewers you have installed):
    • Notepad
    • Wordpad
    • Outlook 2016
    • Mail
    • Thunderbird
  • The .eml file format is very simple. It saves the email in the same raw format it was sent in. You will only be able to easily read the message if it was sent in plan text format, and the message body will appear below the message headers (which may be long, expecially if the original message came from an Exchange server). You can read the messages in any email client which supports .eml message format.
Thunderbird is much easier to use, in my opinion. If you tried it before and did not get it set up corrrectly, I recommend removing the old version (after saving any old messages) and reinstalling it fresh from:
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

The current version of Thunderbird should be able to automatically set itself up for a Fastmail account, but I'm not going to uninstall mine to test this! Once it's installed correctly and you subscribe to the Fastmail folders, you can set up local folders and move or copy messages to the local folder.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jun 2017, 05:56 AM   #365
VERNONBALMERJR

Me Too

I'm just sorry I registered with another email service that switched to paid account only. Some don't realize this could mean years of important emails stored that we'll no longer have access to, not to mention little in the way of migration functions. Today when email is in the news so much, I can only wonder about the troves of information these services will have access to by discontinuing service. That doesn't mean those emails are completely deleted everywhere. I point you here to another service I had > Michael Reagan > Fraud and conversion lawsuit relating to http://Reagan.com email service http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Reagan. There should be more laws governing these services - storage; and ability to migrate emails as well as folders when they decide to essentially confiscate what has been very important documents in someone's possession. They should be deemed property like any hard copies.

P.S. GOOGLE MY NAME - VERNON BALMER JR. - BE INFORMED
VERNONBALMERJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jun 2017, 08:51 AM   #366
Bamb0
Master of the @

Welcome to EMD Vernon........ Thank you for the entry
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jun 2017, 03:03 PM   #367
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamb0 View Post
Welcome to EMD Vernon........ Thank you for the entry
It does not cost that much to upgrade that way no one will have to worry about losing their emails....

If they cant afford $1 a week for their mail box then perhaps it's time to take up ballet or pursue some other interest.

Fastmail cant survive on supplying free mailboxes, there are no paid ads or crap like some of the others offer.
Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2017, 02:56 PM   #368
Bamb0
Master of the @

Yea thats true.... They dont have to drop the classic interface (That works on all browsers) to do that however......
Old 10 Jun 2017, 04:32 PM   #369
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Yea it's sad....to me the old classic was fastmail.
Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2017, 04:36 PM   #370
joe_devore
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
Yea it's sad....to me the old classic was fastmail.
hear hear...! I am not looking forward to June 30th...

I made at least twice, the feaure requests... but they were like meh not gonna happen ;_; x(
joe_devore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jun 2017, 08:41 AM   #371
Bamb0
Master of the @

It would be nice if they forgot to take it down or something.........
Old 11 Jun 2017, 09:16 AM   #372
joe_devore
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamb0 View Post
It would be nice if they forgot to take it down or something.........
lol yeah that would be cool
joe_devore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2017, 05:13 PM   #373
samhu

Shame

Over 45,000 views of this thread (second in number of total views, only bettered by one "sticky") and no "Representative of Fastmail" person's input except at the very start of it.

Looks like they made up their minds a long ago that they were going to proceed unilaterally with the discontinuation of the "Lifetime" membership service no matter what objections were raised about the choice they made.

I'm guessing a strong reason for them staying away is that it was always going to be impossible to logically defend their foul action. Another reason, I hope, is unmitigated shame that will not wash away.
samhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2017, 08:29 PM   #374
Gsptlsnz

Last edited by Gsptlsnz : 24 Jun 2017 at 05:09 AM.
Gsptlsnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2017, 08:55 PM   #375
Bamb0
Master of the @

Exclamation

I WOULD LOVE TO PAY UP!!!!!!!!!!!

I would gladly (LIke I said on the other thread) give them $50 a month if they let me keep my account!! (You would think any company would jump on that)