EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 27 May 2017, 05:44 AM   #1
bedorija

vfemail opinion?

Hi,

Lookin for a mail providee which offers european mailbox and usea opensource webmail, and i found vfemail.net.
Prices seem nice, but what is your experience? Downside is as it seems its a oneman show, but upside is good track record. Any more info, are they good?

Thanks!
bedorija is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27 May 2017, 06:59 AM   #2
TenFour
Master of the @

Don't know personally, but no matter how good a "one man show" is what happens if that person falls ill or is unable to continue for some reason?
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 06:05 PM   #3
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Havokmon (Rick Romero) used to be active here on the forum, but does not appear to have participated for over 2 years.

Looking the vfemail website, it does look like it's on autopilot.

However, I just logged into my openmail.cc account (originally Ian Armstrong's project until Rick took it over a few years ago), an account I haven't logged into for some considerable time, and it's still working.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2017, 01:54 AM   #4
bedorija

Then maybe any other options that would fit the bill?
Old 28 May 2017, 09:51 PM   #5
communicant
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
Havokmon (Rick Romero) used to be active here on the forum, but does not appear to have participated for over 2 years.

Looking the vfemail website, it does look like it's on autopilot.

However, I just logged into my openmail.cc account (originally Ian Armstrong's project until Rick took it over a few years ago), an account I haven't logged into for some considerable time, and it's still working.
I think your post is slightly unfair, and it also seems a bit unobservant.

The servers were upgraded last month and a 'status update' message about that and other matters was sent to all users, including Openmail.cc legacy users. (I know this because I am both a VFEmail subscriber and an Openmail.cc user whose account became part of VFEmail when Rick acquired Openmail from Ian Armstrong as you point out, and I received the message in both places. Didn't you see it in your inbox?)

As for Rick's participation here at EMD, his pattern over many years has been to appear here only at widely spaced intervals. In any case, it is hardly fair or logical to link his level of participation at EMD with any implied judgment about his level of management involvement in his own service!

Also, it is difficult to see why you infer from the website that VFEmail is running 'on autopilot'. If you mean that their in-house forum is not often used, it has been inactive for a long time, though Rick does answer posts when asked, so nothing has changed there for the worse. I'd be curious to know what else on the website could have given you a negative impression. All links are live, the system status indicators are active and informative, and everything is functioning as one would need or expect. Where do you get 'autopilot'?

Anyway, so far as anyone from the outside can tell (and judging from this one user's long-term personal experience), the service seems to be actively managed and maintained and is functioning well. I have encountered no outages or other problems for a long time.
communicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 03:42 AM   #6
SethM

Representative of:
Rollernet.us
I too would agree that linking the "health" of a service to participation here would be a mistake. I don't say much because there's really not much for me to say. I only occasionally (manually) look to see if it looks like there's something I should respond to. Otherwise if I don't see any questions or comments about Rollernet then I'm not really going to start interjecting it into conversations for no reason.
SethM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2017, 05:28 PM   #7
bedorija

And what about mailbox.org. Any experience with them? I see they use openxchange, and that even docs are included.
Old 1 Jun 2017, 02:11 AM   #8
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

I had just read this article before reading your latest post:

http://www.bz-berlin.de/ratgeber/com...me-sind-sicher

I have previously tried the Open-Xchange, originally with Namecheap, and then with mailbox.org, but decided not to use them as the OX interface was not really to my tastes.

However, for a German provider, I would recommend Posteo.

I've had an account with them for nearly 3 years now, and although their Roundcube interface is simple, it's well known - and it just works.

Their support is good and quick to respond, they have 2FA, and their price is competitive.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jun 2017, 02:17 AM   #9
communicant

recent posts are off-topic for the thread

This thread began with a query about VFEmail.net, and is named as such.

Recent posts have strayed into a general discussion about other services.

That's fine, but please either put that sort of post in an appropriate thread if one already exists, or start a new thead. Otherwise, things will get more and more muddled and confused.
Old 21 Dec 2017, 08:37 PM   #10
communicant

Anyone else having problems lately at VfeMail.net?

Is anyone else having problems using VfeMail.net? I had login problems a few months ago, which finally cleared up. When the service was put under CloudFlare (to fight DDoS), other problems started, including a captcha that when solved and submitted deletes all text from the compose page. Rick is tinkering, but the problem hasn't been fixed yet. Is it just me, or are others also affected?