EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 8 Feb 2016, 11:56 PM   #1
filbert

Question Mulitple email addresses

I own a domain where I use several distinct email addresses. (Probably four or five is enough.) My current hosting provider allows me to define up to 20 separate email addresses (included in my annual fee). I can use each via webmail or IMAP.
I’d like to move the email to Runbox as I am running out of space on the current provider and have plenty at Runbox.

Can someone help me with understanding my options?
I don’t want them all to be forwarded to a central address (which is what an alias would do, if I understand correctly).
There are also ‘profiles ‘but the explanation is unclear to me and talks about creating ‘folders’ but doesn’t say where these are created. I think, if I use profiles, I can keep the emails separate and reply from the individual email address - is that correct?

I'd have thought this was an FAQ but I can't see anything that helps.
filbert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 9 Feb 2016, 12:38 AM   #2
ReuvenNY

I do not have an answer, but want to add to your question: how many domains can one host in his Runbox account?
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Feb 2016, 02:10 AM   #3
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReuvenNY View Post
I do not have an answer, but want to add to your question: how many domains can one host in his Runbox account?
My Medium account says 10 domains.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Feb 2016, 10:01 PM   #4
gecko

@ReuvenNY: You can check https://runbox.com/price-plans/ for details on the number of domains included.

@filbert: All emails going to a Runbox account end up in the same inbox. You can create aliases (afaik up to 100, regardless of your plan) but emails sent to these aliases will still go to the same inbox. However, you could use filters to sort them into different folders. (*) Or you could buy discounted sub-accounts if you'd like different accounts for different people.
Re the profiles: You can create folders in your webmail. The folders have "properties", e.g. sender address, default BCC, etc. I believe this is what is meant by profiles. I agree, though, that this concept is not precisely intuitive and I am not sure whether and how these profiles can be used outside the webmail.

(*) Alternatively, I believe that emails sent to an alias be forwarded to any other email address, not necessarily being a Runbox address.
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2016, 10:47 AM   #5
dbowdley
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Runbox.com
The answers above are basically correct, but I think I can add some clarity.

Yes, the number of email hosting domains in a plan is 5, 10 and 25 for Mini, Medium and Max plans respectively. However, you can pay to add email hosting domains to any account if you don't need the additional storage space of the more expensive plans. You can also add email hosting domains to the Micro plan if you really don't need the facilities of the Mini, Medium and Max plans.

You can create up to 100 aliases in a Runbox account (i.e. not for each domain) but if you need more and you are using your own domain, get in touch and we will see what we can do.

Aliases can be forwarded to other Runbox accounts, but not to non-Runbox accounts (there is a way though - see below). This feature allows Main account holders to create aliases they control and forward them to sub-accounts they control. This is in addition to the fact that sub-accounts can create their own aliases anyway, but for customers using their own domain it can be beneficial to use this method to prevent sub-account holders creating more aliases on your domain that you would not be able to control. This might be useful in a business where you don't want employees creating addresses on your domain.

You can use filters to forward/redirect messages received by an alias to a non-Runbox address.

The idea of using Folders to create Profiles/Identities comes from the concept that you can use a single Runbox account to host all your email addresses and you can keep them separate using filters to move incoming mail to folders for that address. You then set up the Preferences on the folder for a particular address and when you reply the reply comes from the correct address and shows the appropriate signature. This isn't always how people expect it to work, and we do plan on looking at creating an identities feature that does not rely on a folder being created.

I hope that helps.
dbowdley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2016, 05:46 PM   #6
filbert

Thanks for the explanations.

Sub-accounts are not really cost-effective for me, at $8 each, as I'd end up much more than doubling my annual subscription. Also, I don't need the extra space or other features of a sub-account.
It would be cheaper to buy extra space on my hosting service where I can have up to 20 distinct email accounts.

I'll have to look at other ways of doing what I want to accomplish.
filbert is offline   Reply With Quote