EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 15 Apr 2021, 03:48 PM   #1
rabarberski
Master of the @

Feature request: add info field for email aliases

Fastmail is advertising for its email alias feature in a latest blog post https://fastmail.blog/2021/02/25/10-...email-aliases/

One thing I have been missing ever since I started using aliases (over 10 years ago), is the possibility to add a short remark to an alias to tell me what I have set it up for.
For about 4 of my 10 aliases it's totally clear because the alias name gives it away. But for the remaining ones I am kindish sure/unsure why I set it up and if it is still relevant.

A short 'info' text field, with its content also shown in the list of alias would help me out here. And probably make me create additional aliases as well...

(I don't own a domain, so quite some of my aliases are variations on my name)
rabarberski is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15 Apr 2021, 05:30 PM   #2
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

If you're using webmail, perhaps you could use the Notes feature, and have a note of all the non-obvious aliases.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2021, 04:04 AM   #3
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Use subdomain target address with non-existing folder name

I agree that it would be nice to have a name field for each alias, similar to the name you can assign to a rule. In addition to keeping a note with the information, here is a trick you can use:
  • You can assign a unique target "Deliver to" address for each alias. By default it's set to your account main (login) address, such as "jack@example.org".
  • You can set the delivery target to a folder using these two techniques:
    • Plus+addressing: Add +foldername to the user part of the delivery address, such as "jack+grocery@example.org".
    • Subdomain addressing: A subdomain delivery address such as "grocery@jack.example.org" is expanded during delivery to "jack+grocery@example.org". When using this technique, the folder name is before the @ and your account username is after the @ and connected to the domain name with a full stop (period .) character.
    • Subfolders: In any place you are allowed to use a folder name, a subfolder can be specified by placing the subfolder name after the main folder name, separated by a full stop (period .) character. So in this example, you could set an alias delivery target to the "north" subfolder of "grocery" using the subdomain delivery address "grocery.north@jack.example.org". In this example, the message will be delivered to the "north" subfolder under the "grocery" main folder in your jack@example.org account.
    • Non-existing folder names in delivery addresses: If the plus or subdomain folder does not not exist, the message is delivered to the Inbox. If the subfolder does not exist, the message is delivered to the main folder.
    • Now for the trick: Use subdomain addressing for the delivery target, but use a folder main (or subfolder name) which does not exist but describes the purpose. The hyphen "-" and underscore "_" character can be used to separate words.
      • So if the "safe" alias was created at the "example.org" domain and you wanted to deliver messages to the Inbox and add a note that it was to be used for the Safeway north store, you could set the "safe@example.org" delivery target to be "Safeway_north_store@safe.example.org". Since there is no matching folder to "Safeway_north_store", the message will be delivered to the Inbox.
      • You could change the delivery address to "grocery+Safeway_north_store@safe.example.org" if you wanted to deliver the messages to the "grocery" folder.
  • Also remember that you can create new subdomain aliases "on the fly". If you have an alias set up for "grocery@example.org", with no further setup you can use a subdomain address with "anything"@grocery.example.org". So you could then use "Safeway@grocery.example.org" or "Kroger@grocery.example.org" on the fly without any setup. Since subdomain addresses created in this manner can get long, I often use short aliases at short Fastmail domains, such as mm.st, eml.cc, sent.as, sent.to, and sent.com.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote