EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 24 Jul 2016, 03:32 AM   #16
Mailfence

Representative of:
Mailfence.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
Does the need for a decryption key mean that if a MailFence user emails someone using for example Hotmail/Yahoo/Gmail or vice versa, the email would be not received or not readable?
Yes - if you send a PGP encrypted email (from with-in or outside mailfence), your recipient will receive an encrypted (unreadable) email and will require his/her private (decryption) key to decrypt and read that email.
See this 'how to' manual for more details.

Quote:
I also have some questions that to me are quite important when choosing a new mail host:
- do you keep a log of previous sign-in dates and locations?
- what is the inactivity/expiry limit of a MailFence account? I mean, this doesn't necessarily have to be the same as for a Mail.be or ContactOffice.com account even when they are run by the same parent company.
> Yes, we do keep our system logs for limited time, as to investigate any related issues that our users may face.
> Suspension of Basic (free) plans after 7 months of inactivity and final deletion after 12 months.
There's no inactivity period for paid plans.

Quote:
I won't ask for how long the service has been around and whether it'll survive the forseeable future despite the competition from the big players out there. Mail.be/ContactOffice/MailFence have been around quite a while, I know as I am Belgian myself
We thank you for your feedback and will remain at your disposal.
Mailfence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2016, 05:26 AM   #17
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
7 months inactivity limit for a free account is a very reasonable time

I fear that I, as a rookie, would struggle in understanding how to indicate which mails should be sent encrypted and which should be sent unencrypted. A lot of my friends and family use Gmail, Yahoo or Hotmail, and don't have the knowledge how encryption works. So it'd depend on me then, but I too struggle in understanding how to indicate whether an email should be sent unencrypted or encrypted ...

For how long can one see the date(s) of previous sign-in(s)?
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Aug 2016, 02:35 AM   #18
Mailfence

Representative of:
Mailfence.com
Quote:
I fear that I, as a rookie, would struggle in understanding how to indicate which mails should be sent encrypted and which should be sent unencrypted.
This indeed is a common concern, and I would recommend you to have a look at the recent interview of one of Mailfence's founder Mr. Patrick which might help in forming your opinion on that.

Quote:
A lot of my friends and family use Gmail, Yahoo or Hotmail, and don't have the knowledge how encryption works. So it'd depend on me then, but I too struggle in understanding how to indicate whether an email should be sent unencrypted or encrypted ...
We've put an immense level of efforts towards providing an easy-to-use solution without compromising the security over convenience. Our "how-to" manual will further guide you in this regard.

Quote:
For how long can one see the date(s) of previous sign-in(s)?
You can see the previous sign-in date on your every account login (after which the previous sign-in date, time.. will be flushed). This is to actually help users in identifying any suspicious activity related to illegal login's/account abuse...etc.
Old 17 Aug 2016, 11:59 PM   #19
Mailfence

Representative of:
Mailfence.com
Update

Mailfence high-level security analysis (blogpost): A high-level security analysis overview.
- Mailfence Team
Old 18 Aug 2016, 12:08 AM   #20
17pm
Cornerstone of the Community

Can we use our own domain with mailfence?

What about aliases? What's the number of aliases in your domains? and in our domains?
17pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2016, 07:02 AM   #21
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

I prefer emails whose sign-ups do NOT require you to provide an existing email somewhere else.
webecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2016, 10:24 AM   #22
Mailfence

Representative of:
Mailfence.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17pm View Post
Can we use our own domain with mailfence?
Yes you can.

Quote:
What about aliases? What's the number of aliases in your domains? and in our domains?
You can have 10 aliases with paid plans on our domain, and this number is negotiable for a custom domain.
Old 18 Aug 2016, 10:29 AM   #23
Mailfence

Representative of:
Mailfence.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by webecedarian View Post
I prefer emails whose sign-ups do NOT require you to provide an existing email somewhere else.
We understand your concern, and have planned to make it optional in the future (its only a matter of time now).
Old 23 Aug 2016, 07:41 PM   #24
17pm
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailfence View Post
Yes you can.

You can have 10 aliases with paid plans on our domain, and this number is negotiable for a custom domain.

Thank you for the reply.

I was going to test your service but unfortunately, you still require an e-mail account in order to create an e-mail account. I'm eagerly awaiting the time when it's optional.. Seems to be an interesting service.

I wonder if you plan to merge the e-mail and documents space in the near future? I prefer when e-mail providers make no destiction between both, in regards to space.

Last edited by 17pm : 23 Aug 2016 at 07:56 PM.
17pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2016, 05:50 AM   #25
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailfence View Post
Yes - if you send a PGP encrypted email (from with-in or outside mailfence), your recipient will receive an encrypted (unreadable) email and will require his/her private (decryption) key to decrypt and read that email.
See this 'how to' manual for more details.

> Yes, we do keep our system logs for limited time, as to investigate any related issues that our users may face.
> Suspension of Basic (free) plans after 7 months of inactivity and final deletion after 12 months.

We thank you for your feedback and will remain at your disposal.
Can I double-check with you about the inactivity limit?

You're saying 7 months, but I'm pretty sure I saw 2 months limit stated on your website. That meager 2 months was a major downside for me.

"Free accounts are therefore suspended after 60 days of inactivity and totally deleted after 90 days."
https://www.mailfence.com/c/mailfence/more/faq.jsp
webecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Sep 2016, 01:09 AM   #26
Mailfence

Representative of:
Mailfence.com
Quote:
I was going to test your service but unfortunately, you still require an e-mail account in order to create an e-mail account. I'm eagerly awaiting the time when it's optional.. Seems to be an interesting service.
We'll let you know when it'll become optional. Besides, keep on checking our blog and subscribe to our twitter/reddit for getting all the latest updates.

Quote:
I wonder if you plan to merge the e-mail and documents space in the near future? I prefer when e-mail providers make no destiction between both, in regards to space.
Both email messages and documents are two separate sections within your mailfence account (in regards to space) and have their own separate data limits (based on the subscription plan).

Thank you for your feedback, and will remain at your disposal.
Old 1 Sep 2016, 01:13 AM   #27
Mailfence

Representative of:
Mailfence.com
Quote:
To re-affirm,

Quote:
"Free accounts are therefore suspended after 60 days of inactivity and totally deleted after 90 days."
Thanks for notifying that, we'll update the whole FAQ soon.
Old 6 Sep 2016, 11:45 PM   #28
Mailfence

Representative of:
Mailfence.com
Email privacy expectations !

Expectations of email privacy are now much demanding - for good reasons !

Follow us on twitter/reddit and keep yourself posted at all times.
- Mailfence Team
Old 7 Sep 2016, 12:57 AM   #29
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Quote:

You're saying 7 months, but I'm pretty sure I saw 2 months limit stated on your website. That meager 2 months was a major downside for me.

I had been in touch with the helpdesk of mail.be/ContactOffice (which I'm not sure would be the same staff as the helpdesk for those using MailFence) regarding the inactivity limits. They said there was a mistake about that on the website and that they'd make the change to correct that info.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Sep 2016, 12:32 AM   #30
Mailfence

Representative of:
Mailfence.com
Update

Follow us on twitter/reddit - and keep yourself updated at all time.
Regards,
Mailfence Team