EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 7 Feb 2024, 12:08 AM   #1
cidra

Question Custom domain for personal email address? / Mail hosting advice request

I recently got a .roma.it domain (that is, a geographic .it domain) and would like to know if it is convenient to use it for creating my personal email address or not.

My main objective is to decouple my email address from its hosting. My main concern is the fact that my emails can be flagged as spam due to the non-conventional domain.

I'm not going to self-host a mail server by any means, so I'd also need to know a viable and cheap mail hosting to pick if I'm going to follow this route.

Do you think it is a good idea to use a custom domain for emails? Do you have any suggestion for a mail hosting service? I have been using Posteo for a bit and it was great, but unfortunately it doesn't support custom domains.

Thank you in advance for your help.
cidra is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 7 Feb 2024, 12:29 AM   #2
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

I have been using my personal domain for email for more than 20 years now, and I haven't noticed any problem with deliverability. It's a .net domain, so that perhaps makes it a more common address than a less common second level domain under a country tld.
I have been using Fastmail to host my email for all that time, and it was convenient and allows me to use all addresses under all my personal domains quite easily with no restrictions (including the ability to host some subdomains elsewhere, which I only did for some experimentation).
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Feb 2024, 03:41 AM   #3
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

I have a personal ".org.uk" domain (whose mails have been hosted by a company in London for approx 20 years; it works well.)

However I don't believe in "putting all my eggs in one basket" so only process approx half of my emails via that domain. The others are hosted by Fastmail, though not with a personal domain.

Both are reliable.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Feb 2024, 07:16 AM   #4
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
we are hosting the domain mail for users.
And it’s 40% discount lifetime.
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Feb 2024, 12:04 AM   #5
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I have been very happy with Fastmail hosting my domain for the past 20 years.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Feb 2024, 12:37 AM   #6
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
My main concern is the fact that my emails can be flagged as spam due to the non-conventional domain.
In my experience stick to a .com, .net, or .org address to help avoid deliverability problems. I once tried a nice domain ending in .xyz and I had lots of deliverability problems. Here's one article on the subject: https://www.allegrow.co/knowledge-ba...il-ranked-list
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Feb 2024, 03:00 AM   #7
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
In my experience stick to a .com, .net, or .org address to help avoid deliverability problems.
But those domain endings are the original ones, now widely regarded as USA-specific.

If the original question was (as it seems) from someone in Italy it makes sense that they'd use one ending in ".IT", just as I in the UK use one ending in ".UK".

I chose ".org.uk" because I thought ORG made some sense for me - certainly more than the commercial company that COM or CO implies, and I explicitly didn't want to imply my ORG has anything to do with the USA, so ... ".ORG.UK".
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Feb 2024, 03:38 AM   #8
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
But those domain endings are the original ones, now widely regarded as USA-specific.

If the original question was (as it seems) from someone in Italy it makes sense that they'd use one ending in ".IT", just as I in the UK use one ending in ".UK".

I chose ".org.uk" because I thought ORG made some sense for me - certainly more than the commercial company that COM or CO implies, and I explicitly didn't want to imply my ORG has anything to do with the USA, so ... ".ORG.UK".
I see tons of .coms based outside of the USA, and tons of people have them for personal domains too. If you want the best deliverability, the original ones are the best.
Old 8 Feb 2024, 03:49 AM   #9
pjroutledge

Aside from email deliverability, you might find that some websites won't accept some legitimate and valid email addresses as logon ids, (probably because the developers have implemented an incorrect set of validity checks).

I have also had the frustrating experience where legitimate but unusual email addresses have been accepted by a website when registering on Windows or Linux, but are not accepted when subsequently attempting to log on (to the same website, not necessarily an 'app') using an Android phone.

I've reverted to using a .com domain.

Last edited by pjroutledge : 8 Feb 2024 at 03:50 AM. Reason: Typo
pjroutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Feb 2024, 03:51 AM   #10
TenFour
Master of the @

And if you want an email address that just works everywhere for everything get a free Gmail one and be done with it.
Old 6 Mar 2024, 05:22 AM   #11
TenFour
Master of the @

To the OP, what did you end up doing and how is it working out?