EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 20 Jul 2006, 06:55 AM   #1
specialK
Essential Contributor

Way to link directly to specific notes page?

I'm sorting out my links bar so everything is at hand

Is there a way you can get a fastmail URL that takes you directly to one specific 'notes' page?

Just a thought.
specialK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23 Jul 2006, 08:11 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Notepad vs Files

Quote:
Originally posted by specialK
... Is there a way you can get a fastmail URL that takes you directly to one specific 'notes' page? ...
The Notepad feature can be used in two ways -- from the Notepad screen and as appended data on the Compose screen (lower right corner). It does not provide a web URL interface.

However, the Files feature does allow you to set up a particular URL for a file. So I recommend you put the data into your Files rather than Notepad.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2006, 07:12 AM   #3
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

I made this experiment:
I copied the URL in the address bar, rmoved the "ust=weifj348jfj4;" part and pasted the remainder into the address bar
Code:
https://www.fastmail.fm/beta/?MLS=OP-*;Uid=;UDm=49;MSignal=NP-*S-1.N-1
I was prompted for username+password. I entered the username+password of a different account and it was opened in the notepad!

So if yopu use it and provide your credentials I guess it would take you to your notepad. Probably it is not the best URL, ansd probably there's a way to get it to show a particual note.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2006, 08:51 AM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally posted by hadaso
I made this experiment:
I copied the URL in the address bar, rmoved the "ust=weifj348jfj4;" part and pasted the remainder into the address bar
Code:
I was prompted for username+password. I entered the username+password of a different account and it was opened in the notepad!
I get a different URL than you did. My guess is that this is dynamic, and changes over logins - or that it is different for different users. And I don't see this being any easier than the normal saved-password login, followed by selecting the Notepad.

My guess is that attempting to bookmark any screen in Fastmail after login is dangerous and will probably fail. Such as attempting to use your browser Back button in Fastmail -- it might work at some points, but in general it will fail.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2006, 04:16 PM   #5
JasonWard
Cornerstone of the Community

Code:
Works for me great.

However this works for me also
Code:
https://www.fastmail.fm/?UDm=49;MSignal=NP-*S-1.N-1
I've always found Fastmail very good at working with old URL's, in so much as it doesnt complain and takes you to somewhere meaning full.

I make extensive use of my back button it works great for me.

I suspect with time and effort much of the URL could be decoded, documented and used, however some playing myself shows on the surface changing values in URL's doesnt work as intuition would lead you to expect.

Jason
JasonWard is offline   Reply With Quote