EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 24 Mar 2007, 09:07 AM   #1
davebradford

A New Feature to Fight Spam

I know know how easy this would be to setup, but i just want to put something out there, and see if anybody understands what i'm talking about!!

Yesterday, i was watching a video podcast were they were displaying the features of iMail part of Mac OS X, there is a feature this bounces messages back to the sender in the form of a undilivered recipient message from the mail deamon. I'm not sure if this can be done with runbox but it might be a good way to fight spam? I'm prob be really stupid and this process might be happening to already but i just thought i'd raise it!

I know that hotmail has a feature which allows you to bounce a message back to sender? Some spammers will remove you from their mailing list if they get an undilvered attempted, might be a good move to help fight spam!?

Dave

Old 25 Mar 2007, 08:09 AM   #2
Liz
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
This feature is only good for getting rid of nagging mails from exes and your mother in law, I'm afraid...

"Modern" spamming is mostly highly automated, and few if any read or even see their bounces. The exception is a lot of Nigerian type scam spammers, who usually operate manually. But I don't think they have access to the typical address lists generated by spammer software, web spiders and viruses, which are where we all dread ending up...

Liz
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2007, 05:03 AM   #3
davebradford

is it a possibility to have this as a feature so we can use it against our ex's and mother in laws!?
Old 26 Mar 2007, 08:26 AM   #4
Trip
Master of the @

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Sorry, but I can only add, "Hahahaha" to this thread!

Trip
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2007, 08:34 AM   #5
Liz
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
I'm not sure about the technicalities of it, but yes, it might be a "fun" feature to have - if not terribly useful when it comes to bonafide spam, as mentioned.

Liz
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2007, 09:29 PM   #6
jdmatl

Challenge/Response

Well, whatever Runbox is using isn't working. SpamArrest.com is a 3rd party you can purchase that uses a from of c/r that works great. Only for individual use.

Say what all you anti-c/r critics will about it, it does work.

Sometimes open source solutions are not the best ones. IronMail, IronPort, and several others blow away Dspam and spam assn. But they cost $$$. It comes down to if more people are leaving runbox due to spam than joining. Once this tipping point hits, then perhaps a hard look will be taken at a more commercial solution.

Me, I am just changing my stuff to gmail after being a customer of about 5 yrs. I can't wait for promises, need to see positive action.
jdmatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Apr 2007, 12:31 AM   #7
jeffster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmatl View Post
Well, whatever Runbox is using isn't working. SpamArrest.com is a 3rd party you can purchase that uses a from of c/r that works great. Only for individual use.

Sometimes open source solutions are not the best ones. IronMail, IronPort, and several others blow away Dspam and spam assn. But they cost $$$. It comes down to if more people are leaving runbox due to spam than joining. Once this tipping point hits, then perhaps a hard look will be taken at a more commercial solution.

Me, I am just changing my stuff to gmail after being a customer of about 5 yrs. I can't wait for promises, need to see positive action.
Jdmatl,

I fear you may be disappointed....

I use Gmail purely as a back up account, for archival / storage purposes, and have never given that address to anyone or used it to sign up to any lists, etc, yet I now average 30 - 35 spam emails a day.....

Just my two cents, for what its worth...

Jeff
jeffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Apr 2007, 05:22 AM   #8
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmatl View Post
Perhaps, but it places the burden of spam filtering on the sender, which is fairly asocial behavior. A Google search for "challenge response" provides some interesting reading that explains this and other problems with challenge-response spam "filtering".

We'd be happy to take a look at your filter setup and your trainable spam filter statistics in order to improve your spam filter's performance.

- Geir
Geir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Apr 2007, 08:07 AM   #9
audiodan

Challenge - Response

In my experience these are the worst type of SPAM filers, it's rather an unpleasant o assume that everyone who emails you is SPAMing unless they prove otherwise. It's really irritating have to send emails twice and most annoyingly they often don't work. In fact I just remove anyone who uses there systems from the email lists I manage at work, they are just to much hassle.

Having said that its always interesting to hear about and try new ways to tackle the plague that is SPAM email.
audiodan is offline   Reply With Quote