EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 10 Feb 2009, 04:38 AM   #31
vtsoxfan

Their website is still down, too.
vtsoxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2009, 04:44 AM   #32
jeffster

Website down, However IMAP is working for me, at 20.45 UK time
jeffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2009, 04:44 AM   #33
rjforsythe

Update from the status page:

Quote:
Mail is back up and beginning to flow - for those using desktop clients. All other processes should be coming online in the next few hours, if not before.
rjforsythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2009, 04:56 AM   #34
rjforsythe

link to roundcube http://wmbeta.tuffmail.net/roundcubemail appears to be working.
rjforsythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2009, 05:59 AM   #35
earlzsta
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjforsythe View Post
link to roundcube http://wmbeta.tuffmail.net/roundcubemail appears to be working.
thank you!
earlzsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2009, 06:36 AM   #36
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Webmail is very very slow. And I haven't received all my mail yet.

Tufmail forum still down.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2009, 06:46 AM   #37
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

update

My FF displays a network time-out. This is bad for Tuffmail. For about 7 hours problems now.
Old 10 Feb 2009, 06:59 AM   #38
WebWanderer

Yes, but cut him a little slack. Tuffmail has been really REALLY good for several years (until today.)

Hopefully today is just a quirk or some perfect storm of problems that hit all at once.

His support has been great, his service has been great, his spam filtering has been great, the servers have been robust, the speed has been great.
WebWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2009, 07:10 AM   #39
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebWanderer View Post
Yes, but cut him a little slack.
I do. Glad to have a redundant setup.
Old 10 Feb 2009, 07:15 AM   #40
WebWanderer

yeah! Ha ha ha. ... All day I've been wishing I had gone ahead and set up redundant email so today I could see if it worked.

Can you recommend any good resources on how to set it up? Or share any tips? ... I know, I know ... I could Google it, but that always takes a few hours to sift through the crap.
Old 10 Feb 2009, 07:23 AM   #41
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebWanderer View Post
Can you recommend any good resources on how to set it up? Or share any tips? ... I know, I know ... I could Google it, but that always takes a few hours to sift through the crap.
Good way to start is this article on the FastMail wiki.
Old 10 Feb 2009, 07:39 AM   #42
WebWanderer

That's funny, I was going to use my Fastmail account for the redundancy.

thank you.
Old 10 Feb 2009, 08:49 AM   #43
barik

I registered on this forum earlier this morning to make a post, only to realize that I wouldn't receive the activation e-mail because Tuffmail was down. Talk about irony! In any other situation, I might have been incredibly upset, but I've been a customer of Tuffmail for several years now and this is the first time I've seen a major outage like this one -- as other posters have mentioned, this is definitely NOT the norm, and John Capo does an excellent job of responding to customer e-mails quickly. So I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt this time around.
barik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2009, 09:21 AM   #44
jakeismydog

I use squirrelmail exclusively and all seems to be well for me now although I am still receiving old mail. At least nothing seems to have been lost.

This is my first experience with downtime in three years thus I have nothing but good things to say about Tuffmail and the man behind the curtain. I have emailed him and spoken with him via phone on several occasions and am very pleased and impressed with the level of service he provides.
jakeismydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2009, 11:02 AM   #45
carbuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by barik View Post
I registered on this forum earlier this morning to make a post, only to realize that I wouldn't receive the activation e-mail because Tuffmail was down.
For what it's worth, I did exactly the same thing...

I managed to get someone to answer the phone about 2:00 CST today. At that point, they still did not know what had happened, and their status page doesn't give a lot of detail either. I'm going to email or call them again in a couple of days to get a better idea...

I, too, have been with Tuffmail over 2 years, and I haven't seen anything like this before.

The downside is that yes, some mail bounced. I specifically know of 2 emails that were sent to me that bounced, both from AOL accounts. Looking through the email that they received, it seems that AOL tried to resend for 3 hours then gave up. I was surprised the window wasn't a little longer, but that's what the emails said. So, unfortunately, depending on the sender's server, it appears likely that some email was lost.

As of now, 6 hours after some service was restored, I'm still getting random emails flowing through, so hopefully there wasn't much lost...

This experience will motivate me to investigate some redundancy in my email service. But I will still prefer Tuffmail based on my experiences to date.
carbuff is offline   Reply With Quote