EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 10 May 2006, 05:01 AM   #1
greenplum
Essential Contributor

Calender next please

How about a calender now ... It would contain most of what I use to FM instead of jumping across to Yahoo ... just daily notes and remainders via email of occasions etc.
greenplum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10 May 2006, 05:37 AM   #2
BinaryTB
Essential Contributor

Actually, I would think that synced address books would be a higher priority since that's used more often with email than calendars/tasks. Plus FM offers WebDAV access to their storage, so you could setup an iCal-standard calendar and then access it using OS X, Sunbird, Thunderbird, Firefox, PHP iCalendar, and I'm sure tons of other calendar software that support syncing with ics files. Shame that Google, Yahoo, WebCalendar only support imports of that file and not two-way syncing.

Plus theres always Notepad in FM for saving whatever you need. I think a notification/birthday email has been requested numerous times before (by me and others), just wanted to mention that so that you don't think I'm putting down your suggestion.
BinaryTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jun 2006, 03:38 AM   #3
specialK
Essential Contributor

I'm still waiting for the calendar,like above it would combine all my daily functions within fm!
specialK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jun 2006, 05:13 AM   #4
IanMcC2

Yes - I have been waiting for an integrated calendar for a long time and would second greenplumbs request. I also have to keep going to Yahoo or Kiko to check dates etc.

I dont understand the reticence of the FM folks to implement a calendar. Perhaps they think that a calendar could become a mammoth project because as soon as you have a calendar, people will be requesting synchronisation with everything - including the freezer in the corner

A basic calendar would be a fantastic addition and in my opinion, a core component that has been leaving an empty hole in the FM offering for some time now.
IanMcC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jun 2006, 07:36 AM   #5
the bishop
Cornerstone of the Community

another vote for contacts over calendar.
the bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jun 2006, 11:22 PM   #6
MagicDavid

Yes, contact sync and LDAP would be far more useful to me!
MagicDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jun 2006, 01:15 AM   #7
Aimlink
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by MagicDavid
Yes, contact sync and LDAP would be far more useful to me!
Contact syncing, as well as being able to assign contacts to groups when adding them to the address book.
Aimlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2006, 03:59 AM   #8
ikickass

I've waited for a decent calendar to come along within fm for ages and am afraid that I've moved over to GMail now that google calendar is up and running.

Cleverly they're also about to release an individual url that I can send to people without a google account which details my calendar on the web.

VERY nice. Just what most people would be after...espcially as you can import events from Outlook, iCal etc etc
ikickass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2006, 06:54 AM   #9
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Google's calendar is very easily set to send email alerts to a FastMail account (or any email address).
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2006, 05:06 PM   #10
adam15c
Essential Contributor

I really need a calendar function which I can access anywhere with my email. I'm about to start a new job which has me attending several courses and shifts over a 12 week period. It would be so good to have everything with FM.

I guess I'm resolved to using Yahoo or Gmail. Does anyone have any other suggestions while we wait for FM?
adam15c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2006, 05:24 PM   #11
ikickass

Quote:
Originally posted by hadaso
Google's calendar is very easily set to send email alerts to a FastMail account (or any email address).
I agree - but having a direct link to the google calendar from within my email inbox is extremely handy - something fm doesn't provide yet.

Also, if someone suggests a date (and they don't have a google calendar) I can click on a google generated hotlink within my mail and it's added to my calendar with just one click.

It's the integration between GMail and the calendar that makes google's offering so tempting...not just the calendar or email interface itself.
ikickass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2006, 09:07 PM   #12
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by ikickass
I agree - but having a direct link to the google calendar from within my email inbox is extremely handy - something fm doesn't provide yet.
Being able to add some user customizable links to the FM interface is something I really want. It can be a link to Google or Yahoo calendar. It can be a link to a disposable address service. It can be a link to one's employer's site. From the compose screen I would use links to several resources I sometimes use while composing (such as tables of HTML entities, HTML reference, math to HTML conversion). Each person has differnt tools needed while using email, and it could be great if we can make a few of them available exactly where we need them.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2007, 05:38 PM   #13
Limbonic

I hope you haven't forgotten about the calender thing! I was just using an opensource mail backend and it had a tiny little calender to offer. So I was surprised fm does not...
Would be really really helpful!
Limbonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2007, 01:27 AM   #14
Elllisd

Exclamation +1

I just joined the forums to post my 2 cents, as I was looking for a way to use my file storage to host a calendar, I think ftp would work because I could read & write, but I'm new to published calendars so I trust others here would know better how it should be implemented. I think I have a feature like what I need on my GoDaddy account, but I'd like to use Fastmail because there's never any lag here..
Elllisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2007, 04:11 AM   #15
mbz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaso View Post
Being able to add some user customizable links to the FM interface is something I really want. It can be a link to Google or Yahoo calendar. It can be a link to a disposable address service. It can be a link to one's employer's site. From the compose screen I would use links to several resources I sometimes use while composing (such as tables of HTML entities, HTML reference, math to HTML conversion). Each person has differnt tools needed while using email, and it could be great if we can make a few of them available exactly where we need them.
I agree with this, having the ability to add user customizable links in the FM interface would be great.

Personally, I don't need an own FM calendar. Would probably just continue to use Google's, because of it's usability, free sms reminders and other advantages. So a link is more than good enough for me.
mbz is offline   Reply With Quote