EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 29 Jan 2006, 02:40 AM   #1
ibcsweb
Cornerstone of the Community

My sent folder filter

I am trying to get the filter for my sent folder to work.

FROM= cv@mydomain.co.uk SAVE TO= CVs Sent

I ahve created the CVs sent folder but it aslways goes to the main sent folder adn I have to move it manually.

Yes I have saved settings
Yes I have activated the filter.

Other similar filters seem to work ok.

Any suggestions?
ibcsweb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29 Jan 2006, 03:00 AM   #2
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
If it goes to the main "Sent" folder then I'm guessing you have the Folder Preference "Save sent messages:" set to "Yes". This moves a copy of the message directly to the "Sent" folder when you send the message.

Filters only work on incoming messages. To have sent messages go to a different folder you actually have to send yourself of copy of the message.

One way to do this is to set the Folder Preference "Default BCC:" to be your address "cv@mydomain.co.uk". Now when you send a message from within that folder it will automatically send a copy to your own address.

Now the filter that you originally setup should work to move the incoming message to yourself to the "CVs Sent" folder.

You may want to set the Folder Preference "Save sent messages:" set to "No" so you don't get a copy in the "Sent" folder anymore.

Regards,
Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2006, 07:02 AM   #3
ibcsweb

Sent folder filters

Quote:
Originally posted by carverrn
If it goes to the main "Sent" folder then I'm guessing you have the Folder Preference "Save sent messages:" set to "Yes". This moves a copy of the message directly to the "Sent" folder when you send the message.

Filters only work on incoming messages. To have sent messages go to a different folder you actually have to send yourself of copy of the message.

One way to do this is to set the Folder Preference "Default BCC:" to be your address "cv@mydomain.co.uk". Now when you send a message from within that folder it will automatically send a copy to your own address.

Now the filter that you originally setup should work to move the incoming message to yourself to the "CVs Sent" folder.

You may want to set the Folder Preference "Save sent messages:" set to "No" so you don't get a copy in the "Sent" folder anymore.

Regards,
Rich
Doesn't that increase the bandwidth usage significantly? Would it not be more resource friendly to allow filtering of outgoing mail?
Old 29 Jan 2006, 10:04 AM   #4
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Well if you filtered outgoing messages I don't think you'd ever be able to send something from "cv@mydomain.co.uk" because it would keep going to the "CVs Sent" folder. So I don't think that's what you had in mind.

You would be mostly right with regards to the BCC'd message counting towards your bandwidth usage. The would probably only be an issue for heavy bandwidth users but your point is valid.

However, there is an exception to that rule. Messages from one Runbox address to another Runbox address do not use up your bandwidth because it never actually leaves the Runbox servers.

Now I'm not sure if that exception works for domains hosted at Runbox. Since they would be hosted by the same server I would think that it would still be true. So if "mydomain.co.uk" is hosted by Runbox the BCC'd message should never leave the Runbox servers and therefore not count towards your bandwidth usage.

But even if it doesn't apply there is still a way. Just BCC the message to your Runbox address or an alias. The message would still have the "From" address of "cv@mydomain.co.uk"

Regards,
Rich
Old 29 Jan 2006, 08:25 PM   #5
ibcsweb

Sent mail filter

Quote:
Well if you filtered outgoing messages I don't think you'd ever be able to send something from "cv@mydomain.co.uk" because it would keep going to the "CVs Sent" folder. So I don't think that's what you had in mind.

You would be mostly right with regards to the BCC'd message counting towards your bandwidth usage. The would probably only be an issue for heavy bandwidth users but your point is valid.

However, there is an exception to that rule. Messages from one Runbox address to another Runbox address do not use up your bandwidth because it never actually leaves the Runbox servers.

Now I'm not sure if that exception works for domains hosted at Runbox. Since they would be hosted by the same server I would think that it would still be true. So if "mydomain.co.uk" is hosted by Runbox the BCC'd message should never leave the Runbox servers and therefore not count towards your bandwidth usage.

But even if it doesn't apply there is still a way. Just BCC the message to your Runbox address or an alias. The message would still have the "From" address of "cv@mydomain.co.uk"

Regards,
Rich
Hi Rich,
Thanks for that. Perhaps filter is the wrong word. As for the domain, it is hosted by 123reg. That way I can use three separate email services as back up. Runbox, Eumex and Gmail. Each address on the domain "filters" to a corosponding lable or folder in all three accounts. Thart way I can minimise the risk o losing any mail. I know that 123reg are the potential weak point but there is no perfect system and based on the last years performance of the big 4 email providers as far as this forum is concerned I have reservations about relying on just one provider. 123reg has been hosting my domains for both email and web hosting for the last 3 years and I have yet to catch them out!
I will try the system of BCC and see how much it affects the bandwidth. If it becomes a problem then I will just BCC to runbox and leave the "From" address the same. Infact why don't I just do that anyway? Alright , I will then!
Old 29 Jan 2006, 09:30 PM   #6
ibcsweb

Sent filter

It seems to be working! Thanks Rich, it will hopefully save bandwidth BCC'ing to the same account and letting the From address get caught by the filters!

All set up now. I just have to get used to selecting the folder I want to send From!

Oh well, nothing is perfect!
Old 29 Jan 2006, 10:40 PM   #7
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
If you don't mind the extra bandwidth then BCC'ing your domain will keep copies of your sent messages at your backup sites too.

Regards,
Rich
Old 30 Jan 2006, 12:52 AM   #8
ibcsweb

Sent Filters

Quote:
If you don't mind the extra bandwidth then BCC'ing your domain will keep copies of your sent messages at your backup sites too.

Regards,
Rich
I think things are set up ok for now. I will remember that though.

Thanks Rich
Old 30 Jan 2006, 12:54 AM   #9
ibcsweb

Sent Filters

Quote:

Regards,
Rich
Oh. Yes, I see what you mean. At the moment only incoming are being backed up!!!!!! YES!
I will set that up now.

Thanks!
Old 30 Jan 2006, 01:09 AM   #10
ibcsweb

Sent Filter

I have decided to compromise between bandwidth and back-up.
Both of the really important aliases will be BCC to my domain and the personal ones to runbox.
Is there any way to default BCC to two different addresses in the folder preferences?
Old 30 Jan 2006, 01:29 AM   #11
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Each folder has it's own set of Folder Preferences. While viewing the folder listing for a folder click Preferences and you can set the preferences for just that folder.

If you mean two different BCC's for one folder then no.
About all you could do is add all BCC addresses in the one folder's preferences then delete the ones you don't want before you send.

Regards,
Rich
Old 30 Jan 2006, 01:33 AM   #12
ibcsweb

Sent filter

Quote:
Each folder has it's own set of Folder Preferences. While viewing the folder listing for a folder click Preferences and you can set the preferences for just that folder.

If you mean two different BCC's for one folder then no.
About all you could do is add all BCC addresses in the one folder's preferences then delete the ones you don't want before you send.

Regards,
Rich
I would have liked the 2 BCCs per folder yes. It doesn't matter much. I have a feeling I am becoming obsessed adn I don't like it. I think I will go out now and have a beer.