EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 29 Sep 2019, 06:30 AM   #1
curvefan
Essential Contributor

Cell phone number as your domain name?

Just wondering if anyone has registered their cell phone number or any other telephone number as their domain?

Like johndoe@2123456789.com

I realize there are problems using a phone number but I was wondering what the experts on here thought about the idea.

It's really hard to get a good .com domain these days but checking a few phone numbers I have I found they were all available.

Thoughts.....

Last edited by curvefan : 29 Sep 2019 at 06:44 AM.
curvefan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29 Sep 2019, 09:39 AM   #2
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by curvefan View Post
Just wondering if anyone has registered their cell phone number or any other telephone number as their domain?

Like johndoe@2123456789.com

I realize there are problems using a phone number but I was wondering what the experts on here thought about the idea.

It's really hard to get a good .com domain these days but checking a few phone numbers I have I found they were all available.

Thoughts.....
that's going against privacy protection IMO.
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2019, 03:57 PM   #3
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

I'm no expert, but I hope you don't mind my input?

For a business domain I would suggest no - you would really need something in the name that hints at your type of business.

For a personal domain I would also suggest no - the length of a telephone number increases the odds of a mistype by the sender, and you lose out on receiving their e-mails.

Also, if someone has taken a disliking to yourself, would you really want them to have access to your telephone number?

Try to be more creative with words - multiple words or anagrams, etc.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2019, 09:16 PM   #4
curvefan
Essential Contributor

Thanks guys for your always valuable input and suggestions.

I understood the privacy problems but was just wondering if anyone had ever heard of people using a phone number for a domain name. I've never seen it.

Yeah, I guess I need to get more original and come up with a good name.

I'll keep at it, thanks.....
curvefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2019, 10:36 PM   #5
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by curvefan View Post
Thanks guys for your always valuable input and suggestions.

I understood the privacy problems but was just wondering if anyone had ever heard of people using a phone number for a domain name. I've never seen it.

Yeah, I guess I need to get more original and come up with a good name.

I'll keep at it, thanks.....
there are a lot, even for big companies.
for example, china mobile is very huge company, their official website is 10086.cn, where 10086 is their official service telephone.
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2019, 02:59 AM   #6
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpan View Post
that's going against privacy protection IMO.
That would surprise me. Anyone could want a numeric combination as domain name (whether that's a good idea or not is a different question) for any random reason, without even knowing if the number is in use as telephone number.

Now if you want people to remember your domain, then logically you register your own phone number as domain. Otherwise it would not make sense and you'd basically ask people to remember your phone number to call you AND another random numeric combination as your domain. Registering your own telephone number isn't against privacy protection, since it's your own number which you prefer to make public yourself.

But other than that, I don't think it's a good idea. Way too complex to remember your domain to anyone not knowing your phone number by heart.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote