EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 20 Apr 2007, 01:05 AM   #61
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Enhanced account required for personal domain use

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao1 View Post
Am I right to understand that this feature is only for "enhanced" users?
If you examine the Fastmail service plans list, only Enhanced accounts can use personal domains for any Fastmail features.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2007, 01:26 AM   #62
elvey
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao1 View Post
A good thing! The DNS is a great system - elegant, efficient, and multifunctional, but it's not something one can figure out without RTFM, and most folks refuse to RTFM. Not to mention there is no single FM (Fine Manual); I've learned one thing after another, over time. I expect it would be an expensive feature to support.
elvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2007, 01:58 AM   #63
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvey View Post
A good thing! The DNS is a great system - elegant, efficient, and multifunctional, but it's not something one can figure out without RTFM, and most folks refuse to RTFM. Not to mention there is no single FM (Fine Manual); I've learned one thing after another, over time. I expect it would be an expensive feature to support.
Enhanced account holders are not necessarily any more technically savvy than any other level of user elvey I am of the opinion that full account holders should be able to host domains at Fastmail as long as they pay for it (as they used to be before) A policy that forces people to upgrade to an account with more resources (that are not needed) is not the preferred type of policy imo.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2007, 02:02 AM   #64
JasonWard
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Enhanced account holders are not necessarily any more technically savvy than any other level of user elvey I am of the opinion that full account holders should be able to host domains at Fastmail as long as they pay for it (as they used to be before) A policy that forces people to upgrade to an account with more resources (that are not needed) is not the preferred type of policy imo.
Elvey seemed to be saying the feature would be expensive to support, not that Enhanced users are more technically able, which would make sense since Enhanced users have paid most for the service.

Jason
JasonWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2007, 02:17 AM   #65
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonWard View Post
Elvey seemed to be saying the feature would be expensive to support, not that Enhanced users are more technically able, which would make sense since Enhanced users have paid most for the service.

Jason
Tuffmail are able to support custom DNS for all account levels, even the cheapest ones Jason.
Old 27 Apr 2007, 03:21 AM   #66
ankupan

Mx

Hi,

I have added one domain to my FM account. Now I want to change the MX of this domain and I have two MX records.

So guide me, how can I change the MX of a domain ?
ankupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2007, 05:13 AM   #67
elvey
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Tuffmail are able to support custom DNS for all account levels, even the cheapest ones Jason.
Huh? They don't do DNS at all, AFAICT. (Well, Ok, I checked and they do seem to be signed up as a reseller of some registrar (Go Daddy?), but that hardly counts in my book.) Besides, they charge more! Not that there's anything wrong with tuffmail; John offers a very good service, in my experience.

Jason made a correct interpretation of what I said.
Old 27 Apr 2007, 05:55 AM   #68
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:

Jason made a correct interpretation of what I said.
My remark was regarding your response to ao1's question who said:

>>

>>

Your reply was:

>>

A good thing! The DNS is a great system - elegant, efficient, and multifunctional, but it's not something one can figure out without RTFM, and most folks refuse to RTFM. Not to mention there is no single FM (Fine Manual); I've learned one thing after another, over time. I expect it would be an expensive feature to support

>>

Fastmail previously allowed lower account levels to host their virtual domain name (for email only) - as do Tuffmail.

If Fastmail still allowed this, those account holders (other than enhanced account holders) would likely be able to take advantage of these new new custom DNS features - that is the point I was trying to make...
Old 27 Apr 2007, 06:01 AM   #69
elvey
The "e" in e-mail

David,

You confused hosting the DNS records for a domain with hosting just the email for a domain, and which providers offer which of these two things with which plan.

(Oy, that's not helping clear things up, is it? I give up. Over and out.)
Old 27 Apr 2007, 06:22 AM   #70
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
David,

You confused hosting the DNS records for a domain with hosting just the email for a domain, and which providers offer which of these two things with which plan.

(Oy, that's not helping clear things up, is it? I give up. Over and out.)
Elvey: Yes, I was most certainly wrong when I said:

>>

>>

The other points I mentioned, I agree are not at all to do with the subject of the thread, so I will not talk about them anymore
Old 27 Apr 2007, 09:51 AM   #71
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankupan View Post
I have added one domain to my FM account. Now I want to change the MX of this domain and I have two MX records.

So guide me, how can I change the MX of a domain ?
Have you pointed the name servers (NS record) to Fastmail, or is some other site maintaining your DNS? Somebody has to "publish" the DNS information (MX records, A records, etc.). The name servers entries for your domain let others know where to find the DNS information. If you point your nameservers to Fastmail (NS to ns1.messagingengine.com and ns2.messagingengine.com), then Fastmail will automatically set up your MX records to point to your Fastmail account. The new Options>Custom DNS screen (subject of this thread) allows you to change the default settings. Most of us don't need to change these defaults.

Read all of this FAQ for more details:
Fastmail virtual domains

But if your DNS is still hosted somewhere else -- in other words, if your domain name servers are not pointing to ns1.messagingengine.com and ns2.messagingengine.com -- then you must use your domain manager company's tools to change your domain's MX records.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2007, 08:15 PM   #72
ankupan

I want DNS with FM, but MX pointed to some one else... is it possible & how to change custom setting for this too ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
Have you pointed the name servers (NS record) to Fastmail, or is some other site maintaining your DNS? Somebody has to "publish" the DNS information (MX records, A records, etc.). The name servers entries for your domain let others know where to find the DNS information. If you point your nameservers to Fastmail (NS to ns1.messagingengine.com and ns2.messagingengine.com), then Fastmail will automatically set up your MX records to point to your Fastmail account. The new Options>Custom DNS screen (subject of this thread) allows you to change the default settings. Most of us don't need to change these defaults.

Read all of this FAQ for more details:
Fastmail virtual domains

But if your DNS is still hosted somewhere else -- in other words, if your domain name servers are not pointing to ns1.messagingengine.com and ns2.messagingengine.com -- then you must use your domain manager company's tools to change your domain's MX records.
Bill
ankupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2007, 09:13 PM   #73
apl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankupan View Post
I want DNS with FM, but MX pointed to some one else... is it possible & how to change custom setting for this too ?
Yes it is.

Firstly you need to make sure that you point your name servers at fastmail, their name servers are ns1.messagingengine.com and ns2.messagingengine.com.

Once the transfer is complete, go into the Custom DNS panel in your Fastmail account and select your domain from the domain popup and click select.

In the DNS Mode section click Custom DNS and then click Change.

The custom DNS area will become available, you will see two MX entries, one for your domain and one for any subdomain. Both these are currently set to STANDARD_MX, you will need to change them to the MX address that will accept mail for your domain.

Fastmail's MX records are in1.smtp.messagingengine.com and in2.smtp.messagingengine.com, I assume that STANDARD_MX points to both of these, so you will need to add more MX records for your backup MX servers.

One of my fastmail hosted domains shows the following for its MX records:

xxx.co.uk. 3600 IN MX 10 in1.smtp.messagingengine.com.
xxx.co.uk. 3600 IN MX 20 in2.smtp.messagingengine.com.

And then it shows in the additional section:

in1.smtp.messagingengine.com. 21110 IN A 66.111.4.72
in1.smtp.messagingengine.com. 21110 IN A 66.111.4.73
in1.smtp.messagingengine.com. 21110 IN A 66.111.4.70
in1.smtp.messagingengine.com. 21110 IN A 66.111.4.71
in2.smtp.messagingengine.com. 72385 IN A 66.139.75.100

So there are four addresses for in1.smtp.messagingengine.com and one for in2.smtp.messagingengine.com.

Regards Alan
apl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2007, 03:59 PM   #74
thelanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmueller View Post
What exactly is the cloaking you're talking about?

Rob
Rob, I love the new feature you've added. I think that adding cloaking to it would be especially useful for some of us who are stuck behind restrictive firewalls—similar to how Fastmail's universal proxy already allows us to use IMAP/POP3/SMTP clients, even when the usual SMTP/POP3/IMAP ports are blocked, since normally at least 80/8080 are open (not to mention 22/23 and sometimes ports in the high thousands ranges).

In other words, if I could go to foo.example.com (my own domain), which would redirect with cloaking to fastmail.fm, and then if cloaking were enabled so that after logging into Fastmail it would still show foo.example.com, that would allow us to use our own domain for webmail from behind proxies & firewalls —at least from behind those proxies & firewalls which are not smart enough to do reverse lookups. At present I can already go to mail.example.com (my own domain), but after logging into Fastmail I'm then at fastmail.fm, which the evil proxy blocks....
thelanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2007, 05:28 PM   #75
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
We've implemented cloaking the way everyone else does it, which is to create a frame that takes the whole window and go to the URL in that. That means the URL of the page still looks like the URL you went to, and doesn't change, only the URL in the frame (that you can't see) changes.

What you're talking about is more "proxying". We thought about it, but didn't add it mostly because it uses bandwidth on our end, so we'd have to track all page loads and count that against the user. It's possible, but a pain to implement.

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote