EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 21 Jul 2017, 10:37 AM   #16
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Because of uncertainties raised in this thread about the account level, I just tried sending six test messages with the From address set to "Kilroy <snape@hogwarts.sch.uk>", and the To was set to a Gmail account and my personal domain account hosted at Fastmail. The messages were sent from:
  • Fastmail Lite (grandfathered) account via Thunderbird client
  • Fastmail Lite (grandfathered) account via webmail
  • Fastmail Basic account via Thunderbird client
  • Fastmail Basic account via webmail
  • Fastmail Standard account via Thunderbird client
  • Fastmail Standard account via webmail
All six messages arrived at both my Gmail and my own domain (Fastmail hosted) accounts. So I see no indication in my accounts that any From address is blocked.

You can change the From address when sending a message from the Fastmail web interface as I described before.
  • Messages sent from the web interface in that way do not have your Fastmail account name in the headers. You will see messagingengine.com in the headers, but not your login email address (or even the domain you use).
In Thunderbird you can change the From address by clicking the From field at the top of the Write screen and choosing Customize From Address...
  • Messages sent from Thunderbird in that way do have your Fastmail account name in the headers. I think this is required by the SMTP standards and allows the recipient and Fastmail to track where the message came from for security purposes.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jul 2017, 11:15 AM   #17
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

[quote=n5bb;603235][*]Messages sent from Thunderbird in that way do have your Fastmail account name in the headers. I think this is required by the SMTP standards and allows the recipient and Fastmail to track where the message came from for security purposes.

I only use POP as I like to leave my mail on the fastmail server so that wont help the situation either.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jul 2017, 12:01 PM   #18
jhollington
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
I only use POP as I like to leave my mail on the fastmail server so that wont help the situation either.
Actually, that makes no difference... POP and IMAP are protocols used to download messages from your mailbox; regardless of which one you're using, the same protocol —*SMTP — is still used to send messages.
jhollington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jul 2017, 12:09 PM   #19
jhollington
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
Messages sent from Thunderbird in that way do have your Fastmail account name in the headers. I think this is required by the SMTP standards and allows the recipient and Fastmail to track where the message came from for security purposes.
Although I haven't tested Thunderbird myself in this scenario, I suspect this is a Thunderbird issue, rather than anything FastMail is doing. The test messages I sent via Apple Mail contained absolutely no references to either FastMail, my own domain, or my account name.

The only information contained in SMTP-submitted e-mail messages was the IP address of the computer from which I sent the message, which definitely is of course a normal part of the SMTP header.
Old 21 Jul 2017, 12:13 PM   #20
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

I had trouble with IMAP and folders when I looked at something and then delete I use to lose the message of the Fastmail server, so I went to POP.

Sadly I'm not that computer literate so some things are hit and miss, but I still manage to get most of my mail...
Old 21 Jul 2017, 12:29 PM   #21
jhollington
Essential Contributor

Quote:
In Thunderbird you can change the From address by clicking the From field at the top of the Write screen and choosing Customize From Address...[list][*]Messages sent from Thunderbird in that way do have your Fastmail account name in the headers. I think this is required by the SMTP standards and allows the recipient and Fastmail to track where the message came from for security purposes.
Okay, curiosity got the better of me, so I actually went and tested this in Thunderbird and I can confirm not only that it's entirely a Thunderbird issue, but it actually has nothing to do with your FastMail account or address, per se.

The issue is that when you change your FROM address "on-the-fly" using the method Bill describes, Thunderbird still submits the message with whatever the main address in your account settings is as the envelope address. Obviously in most cases this is your "real" FastMail address, so that's what gets used.

In other words, your FastMail address only appears in the sent message because that's what you have configured as your main address in Thunderbird.

If you change the FROM address in your Thunderbird account settings, that's the address that will be used for the envelope address. In fact you could use one bogus address in the main account settings (a@b.com), and then a second bogus address (c@d.org) as your "on-the-fly" address when sending a message, and those are the two addresses that would appear in the headers — c@d.org as the normal from, and a@b.com as the envelope address in the headers (and the "on behalf of" address in clients like Microsoft Outlook).
Old 21 Jul 2017, 12:39 PM   #22
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I stand corrected -- I was composing my reply along the same lines as your latest post when yours arrived. I discovered that Thunderbird reacts differently when you use those two different way to change From. In the case of changing the From at the top of the Write screen, the envelope From is not changed, only the From header. My iOS devices have one sending identity choice, and similarly to the Thunderbird identity settings it changes both the From header and the envelope From.

Bill
Old 21 Jul 2017, 12:47 PM   #23
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
I had trouble with IMAP and folders when I looked at something and then delete I use to lose the message of the Fastmail server...
Terry, if you are using Thunderbird, with IMAP you need to do the following:
  • In the Server Settings screen, change "When I delete a message" to "Move it to this folder: Trash on (your account)". Do NOT enable "Empty Trash on Exit".
  • In Manage folder subscriptions, be sure that the Trash folder is checked to be subscribed.
After these changes, when using an IMAP connection:
When you delete a message in Thunderbird, it will be moved to the Trash folder and show up in the Trash folder on the Fastmail IMAP server.

Bill
Old 21 Jul 2017, 02:25 PM   #24
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Thank you Bill
Old 31 Jul 2017, 08:24 AM   #25
DarioMor
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Sorry to disagree, but that's a false statement. For years you have been able to create an identity such as *@fastmail.com using the wildcard * local-part. When you select that address at the top of the Compose screen, you will see a From field appear which can be freely edited to set the From address of the message.

Bill
What Bill wrote is actually working as usual. I use it for years, in current web interface. And just tested again: working like a charm!
DarioMor is offline   Reply With Quote