EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 3 Jul 2017, 10:16 AM   #1
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Contacts

I tried sending an email but did not see a link for contacts. I am probably overlooking something simple I have been with FM for around fifteen years
sheprd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 3 Jul 2017, 12:58 PM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Do you mean the online Address Book? You get to all of the non-mail features by clicking the large button in the upper left (which is by default shown as Mail with a down arrow, suggested you need to click it to see more). After clicking that upper left button you will see:
  • Mail (where you started)
  • Address Book (where you store your contacts)
  • Calendar
  • Notes
  • Files (online file storage, including ways to access files and photo albums from web links)
  • Settings
  • Billing & Plan
  • Passwords & Security
  • Import & Export
  • Help
  • Switch User (if you have multiple accounts)
  • Log out
When you use the Compose feature from the Mail screen, you can choose to show only To or include Cc and Bcc. Into any of those addressing fields you type a portion of any combination of:
  • First name
  • Last name
  • Nickname
  • Full email address
  • Email address alias (before the @)
  • Email address domain part (after the @)
For example, if you were trying to send to "Jim Jones", you could enter any of the following (Upper/lower case is ignored):
  • Jon (which would find Jim Jones but could also find Jonas Smith or Jonathan Blizzard with the nickname Jon)
  • jim (which would find Jim Jones but also Jimmy Smith)
  • Jim jones (which would find Jim Jones but not any of the others I have described)
  • ji jo (which would find Jim Jones or Jill Joel)
  • Jones Ji (the order doesn't matter-- this finds Jim Jones)
If you want to send to someone in your address book and you remember that they use Yahoo, just enter:
  • yahoo (to find all yahoo email addresses)
  • randy yahoo (to find all contacts with a first or last name or nickname or email localpart alias of randy)
When you get multiple matches, up to 10 matching or partially matching contacts are shown. If you have set up address book Groups, up to 10 matching group names will also be shown. You can enter another word to narrow the search, or use a longer term (such as jones rather than jo). Use the up/down keys on your keyboard then Enter, or your mouse to select the correct contact.

If you would rather do this from the list of your contacts, you can also go to the Address Book and start the message there. Just select using the checkboxes at the left side of the names one or more contacts, then click the Compose button at the top to cause a new Compose window to be opened with the selected contacts in the To addressing field. You can also use the search box at the top to find contacts which match any content in any of your contacts (including the notes).

These features have remained pretty much the same for the last 5 years (since the current interface was introduced).

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jul 2017, 07:31 PM   #3
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

The down side is if you click a letter it will bring up everything with that letter so you may 9 names you don't want.
The old classic was much better as you could select what names you wanted.
I had mine listed A to Z

Last edited by Terry : 3 Jul 2017 at 09:01 PM.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jul 2017, 08:45 PM   #4
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Thanks n5bb and Terry for your help. I thought it was something simple I waqs overlooking.
sheprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jul 2017, 06:28 AM   #5
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
The down side is if you click a letter it will bring up everything with that letter so you may 9 names you don't want...
I'm not sure what you mean by "click a letter", Terry. If you mean that if I type the letter "t" in an addressing field I see all names starting with T (Terry, Tom, Timothy, Teresita, Tiffani), then that's true. If there are more than 10, you just enter more of the name (te or terr), or part of the last name (t jones).

If you want a small personal list:
  • Create some address book entries with a period (full-stop) character "." at the start of the nickname. So the nicknames might be ".Terry", ".Tom", ".Bill", ".Sue", etc.
  • If you have some contact records with multiple email addresses and you only want to see one in your personal list, create a new contact record with only that single email address and the special nickname starting with a ".".
  • Now in the Compose screen just type "." in an addressing field. You will see those special entries you created, and you can use the up/down keys with Enter or your mouse to select one of them.
  • Unfortunately, the entries will not be sorted in any reasonable way, and you can't easily use more than 10.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jul 2017, 07:58 AM   #6
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Sorry yea I meant type.
Thanks for the . idea I will try that.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote