EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

View Poll Results: Please rate UES
the best email service ever 0 0%
it's ok, but could be better 1 4.76%
there are some problems, but the service is still good 4 19.05%
extremly poor 16 76.19%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22 Jun 2005, 11:08 AM   #1
alexu2000
Cornerstone of the Community

UES saga - service rating

Let's start it over:

- on september 1, 2004, UES administrator stated: "we have hardened our network, added 30 new servers and setup partnerships with other companies to help us stop and hadle our issues" and later, "UES is now running 100% (some pop3/IMAP/SMTP are still being fixed for free accounts)" - so how come UES is running 100% but, excuse me, 100% only in part, because some free accounts still have problems? This is not 100% for me.

- the history of UES continues with some users reporting several problems trying to access their accounts. Other users report missing email sent from Yahoo and Gmail.

- early 2005 "A System admin re-set 9,571 accounts to the "Verify" stage, if you cannot login to your account please re-verify your account like you did in the start of 2005. To verify all you must do is re-signup with the same details as before and you will get your account and mail back instantly." "when accounts are set to verify, it turns them off, and makes you "re-signup" as that is how we verify.
(We are looking at new ways as it caused lots of issues..)"

- on february 2005 UES upgrade their servers to Xeon. All 30? Also, they sad that "UnitedEmailSystems has moved all incoming mail servers over to a windows cluster allowing us to better provide you with email services.". They advertise better services, less problems with the service, and they set their target to become a "real" email service. But there are still a lot of problems...

- in march 2005 other changes are in place at UES. Due to "issues of security and DDOS, we have been forced to turn off pop3, imap and smtp till atmail relases 4.04". And on the other hand, their admin "strongly urge anyone who has pop issues to open a ticket, or PM me. Don’t use webmail.unitedemailsystems.com for pop; unless I tell you too, as it can cause problems to good accounts, like removing you from the system, we have to setup the Webmail server for pop on case by case situations."

- april 2005: some users have problems accessing their accounts by pop. There are new addresses for pop3 servers and users are very confused.

- april 2005: UES "is upgrading its Gigabit network for our new blade webservers". Their servers are not up when the deadline is met, users experience 403 error trying to login.

- late april 2005: the UES admin post a strong message where he want to "stop all of the hate and crap going around about UES". It seems that users complaining is not acceptable. Better they shut up when they have problems and try to keep all these undercover. He want users to " just do complain, positive only". Can anyone give me an example of a positive complain? He plan other changes, "re-doing the support department as it sucked aswell", lowered quotas, changes to the Xeon servers, etc. you know the same story repeated. Quoting xbot, "First UES was 5000MB. Then 4000. Then 3000. Now 128. Soon it'll be 4. Then it'll be gone. "

- early may 2005: with all those measures to improve UES services, users are complaining again (negative complains I think): POP access down for at least a week, timeouts trying to access the webmail, and UnitedEmail, the UES representative doesn't reply to user's complains from this forum.

- may 2005: quoting the administrator of UES forums: "We are however next week putting up 30 new Xeon servers in orlando, Fl (USA) to handle the webmail better, which will cause small segments of downtime (5 mins each max) while traffice packets converge on the new datacenter.". So now there are 60 servers, right? Some users still complain about not beeing able to access their mailboxes.

- 10th may 2005: "UES has moved to its new servers, Dell Poweredge 6600. We have also started to move to Merak Mail Server software, as it is cheaper to Admin, Cheaper to run, has less issues and is faster than our old outdated Atmail 4.03" Users need to migrate their old UES accounts to the new platform, there is a nice littl' helpin' video that explain everything and so on.

- may 18, 2005: UES representative returns: "Well I think people need to quit complaining, were getting better but it takes time. Things dont happen overnight!". Again! And later, "We have had some downtime today between 3-4pm CST as our Anti-virus system failed causing 2 servers to become infected.". People, please DON'T complain!

- may 2005: UES representative say that "all users need to understand that when a service is free there are no garanteed uptimes. [...] no free service thats being honest will garantee 100% uptime". And I recall a lot of UES statements when they said that "UES is now running 100%"... aren't they honest?!

- may 21, 2005. Rob (the UES representative) become edgy, Rob take the wekkend off, Rob goes to Miami, UES is down again, Rob is out of town, "UES will make it".

- june 1st, 2005. UES is down again. Five days later, POP is down. Later users complain not beeing able to login.

And now... This domain name expired on Jun 20, 2005. What kind of joke is this service? With 60 servers in different states, how come they are unable to keep a good service up? Who finances 60 servers with such an unstable service?

I wonder if UES administrators and representatives and moderators use UES as their primary email service. There was a lot of broken promises and a lot of unsolved problems. I really wonder what is going on there, at UES, for real.
alexu2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22 Jun 2005, 11:46 AM   #2
xbot
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
xxos.us
Indeed. We'll have to see what happens to UES. It's interesting, to say the least.
xbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2005, 12:16 PM   #3
mindlean

I used many different email services, and UES was the worst experience. I gave up using UES service few months ago.
mindlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2005, 12:23 PM   #4
davy51
Master of the @

no one is forced to use it you knew all this before you signed up and yet you still use it?

And i do use it but not as a primary I use it as a backup to collect my groups

everyone has been told to back everything up

mindlean had the right idea it didnt work for him so he stopped using it
davy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2005, 12:26 PM   #5
UnitedEmail
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
UnitedEmailSystems.com
Re: UES saga - service rating

Quote:
Originally posted by alexu2000
And now... This domain name expired on Jun 20, 2005. What kind of joke is this service? With 60 servers in different states, how come they are unable to keep a good service up? Who finances 60 servers with such an unstable service?
I dont have much time to go in-depth, but lets look quicly over the last year,

UES, goes public by buying out MyQuickMail (big bad move) MQM was screwed up big time, and the issues then were thrown on us.

We have made the service better, but it has been basicly bad, as we had stupid and bad employee's and CEO's

After I took control, about 2 months ago, I fired most of the employee's and support personal, as they sucked.

I then put into plans to move to Merak and Rackspace, this all hapened within the past 2 weeks.

We have been much better lately, and I feel good about this.

As far as the domain, we have renewed it last week, but directi has not credited the domain yet, so we have moved it today to Godaddy. It will be back up tomorrow, this was not our problem, but an issue from bad setup by old employee's
UnitedEmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2005, 12:47 PM   #6
UnitedEmail
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
UnitedEmailSystems.com
Anyone who would like to call me direct may call 1-877-830-0801 Toll Free in the US.
UnitedEmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2005, 02:44 AM   #7
Javier
Master of the @

I think it is the first time in all my life when I have seen a poll with ALL people agreeing (10 people, 100%, when I have posted this reply).

I think all of us will be delighted if the poll had this same agreeing, but in the opposite option.

But the better of all is that UES can't become worse (just trying to joke). Be sure, UnitedEmail, that all of us (at least me) will offer you all the help you need tryig to improve.
Javier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2005, 03:14 AM   #8
gunnarj
Essential Contributor

Oy Vey !

gunnarj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2005, 11:34 AM   #9
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
1 voted disagreed.
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2005, 01:14 AM   #10
metart
= Permanently banned =

I know the feeling Alexu2000. Lies after lies, gets very annoying after a while. Now, finally, somebody writes the events what has happened, showing us all the way he changes his story...
metart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2005, 01:21 AM   #11
davy51
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by metart
I know the feeling Alexu2000. Lies after lies, gets very annoying after a while. Now, finally, somebody writes the events what has happened, showing us all the way he changes his story...

I guess some people wouldnt believe the truth no matter what

some are just trouble makers that want to break a service

They are not capable of running a service so they will do their best to put down a service

so they go from forum to forum doing their best to lie about anything they can

Is that right metart
Old 24 Jun 2005, 02:05 AM   #12
metart
= Permanently banned =

UES just needs improvement. You guys got a long way to go, but i'm sure you'll eventually get there, as I did.
metart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2005, 02:26 AM   #13
davy51
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by metart
UES just needs improvement. You guys got a long way to go, but i'm sure you'll eventually get there, as I did.

Im sure we will

what service do you run metart

you really should get edwin to register you as rep for it
Old 24 Jun 2005, 08:40 AM   #14
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

I've never used UES but I've looked at some of the threads concerning it here and can see that it has had some real problems with stability. In that case I don't see why anyone would entrust important mail with that service in the first place. Having said that though, I don't see a point in any "trash UES" sort of thread, or of setting up a poll when it's pretty obvious what the results will be (no offense, alexu2000). If the service stinks, stop using it or else use it very casually to see if there are any improvements in quality. By the way, UES is a freebie, right? If no money has changed hands, then I don't really see what the beef is.
I guess most users of this forum could come up with a list of at least 10 free email providers that could be raked over the coals in much the same way as UES.

edit-- I should say, I do see what the beef is, but don't quite understand the heat with which it's expressed

Last edited by rmns2bseen : 24 Jun 2005 at 10:27 AM.
rmns2bseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2005, 10:36 AM   #15
davy51
Master of the @

UES just happens to be the one on the hot seat at this time

there are some with even worse records than ues

The webmail was down with a php error which was rackspace 's problem

it is back up

UES will keep going because there are people there that really want a great service