EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 25 May 2021, 11:20 AM   #1
Folio

Valid Email Addresses

Interesting -- well, I found it interesting -- article on what constitutes a valid email address. I did not know:

Quote:
The RFC is rather specific here, and mandates that the local part MUST BE treated as case sensitive.
I wonder if there are any email providers who would allow USER@domain.tld and user@domain.tld to point to different inboxes.

For the full article:
https://www.netmeister.org/blog/email.html
Folio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25 May 2021, 11:49 PM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

There are many web pages asking for an email address that reject legitimate entries. And I'm not talking about "<>"@example.com or ".jdoe"@[IPv6:2011:470:30:84:a276:63ff:ef72:3888]. I mean quite often plus addressing is disallowed
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2021, 12:17 AM   #3
TenFour
Master of the @

I suspect very few honor the upper/lowercase difference. Would cause too much confusion. I receive forms every day from people and many type in the their addresses incorrectly to the point I have to look them up sometimes, but one of the funny things is how often people omit capital letters or type in all caps.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2021, 11:09 PM   #4
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
I always learnt that upper case or lower case characters make no difference in email addresses. Unless there's a recent technological change of some sort, it makes no difference if you writer USER@domain.tld or user@domain.tld

Upper case or lower case can make a difference in URL's.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote