EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 23 May 2020, 05:09 AM   #1
camner
Cornerstone of the Community

iOS contact syncing with Fastmail CalDAV

A while back I set up my iDevices to use the Fastmail contacts server, per the directions on FM's help pages. I then imported my existing contacts to FM's CardDAV server, and things seemed to work just fine.

What I've noticed, though, is that the sync behavior is different if I edit vs create a contact on one of the iDevices. If I edit an existing contact, no problem...the edit syncs via the CardDAV server to all of my iDevices and my computers.

BUT, if I create a NEW contact on an iDevice, no sync occurs. In looking into things, what seems to be happening is that the iDevice doesn't create the contact on the FM contacts server, but instead creates it in the iCloud contacts server. I can tell this by looking at the contacts using BusyContacts on my Mac, where I can see which contacts are on which server.

This is obviously undesirable behavior, as it forces me to manually move a new contact from the iCloud contact server to the Fastmail contact server. Is there a way to tell my iDevices which contact server to use as the default or primary contact server for new contacts?
camner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23 May 2020, 05:17 AM   #2
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

I do not currently have access to a phone with iOS, but I know there used to be a way to specify the priority sequence of Contact servers. If the FastMail CardDAV server is your top priority, you would appear to have found a bug in iOS.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2020, 10:51 AM   #3
camner
Cornerstone of the Community

Thanks much. I'll check out that setting on all of my various devices.
camner is offline   Reply With Quote