EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 7 Jul 2019, 10:55 AM   #1
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

Superhuman email - ?

Would You Pay $30 a Month to Check Your Email?
One of Silicon Valley’s buzziest start-ups, Superhuman, is betting its app’s shiny features are worth a premium price.

By Kevin Roose

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/27/t...man-email.html

https://ourblog.siliconbaypartners.c...ck-your-email/
webecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8 Jul 2019, 12:24 AM   #2
TenFour
Master of the @

The answer is, "No", I would not pay $30 a month for email. I find that the simpler the app and the fewer things it does the better it does them.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jul 2019, 11:24 PM   #3
SideshowBob
Essential Contributor

I wouldn't because my email is mailing lists and low volume personal mail, but I can see the appeal to someone who has to deal with a high volume and and places a value on their time. Even at minimum wage you'd only have to save a few minutes a day to justify the cost.
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jul 2019, 02:35 AM   #4
TenFour
Master of the @

Further to my No above, I am highly skeptical of apps that claim to improved the email experience and speed things up. For example, conversation views, automatic filtering, ai-powered replies, etc. just seem to gum up the process for me when I have used them on other services. A plain old chronological order with no conversations works best, along with quick actions that can delete, archive, or move to another location. I have worked in cs where we fielded hundreds of emails every day and without fail any "improvements" we tried inevitably caused more problems than they solved.
Old 11 Jul 2019, 03:12 PM   #5
EricG
Essential Contributor

Conversation view has proven itself. Gmail has always had it, Outlook Express had it. It's probably 20th century.
EricG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jul 2019, 07:27 PM   #6
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
Conversation view has proven itself.
It's the first thing I turn off when installing an email app.
Old 12 Jul 2019, 08:49 AM   #7
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
The answer is, "No", I would not pay $30 a month for email. I find that the simpler the app and the fewer things it does the better it does them.
Exactly.

I just want solid email, I don't need cloud access, chat system integrated, etc. I don't really use the cloud a lot as I backup regularly on an external HD, and for chats I use Skype. I prefer my emails simple without integrations of all sorts of other function.

Regardless of that, 30 USD a year for really good email would be justifiable. 30 USD a month however?! I doubt many private users (= individuals, as opposed to companies) have the luxury to spend that amount of money on email. I already pay for other things such as hosting, I definitely wouldn't just happily pay 360 USD a year for email while reliable alternatives exist for 10% of that price (not to mention for free). I also, in the article, didn't see any specific feature that would make emailing so much better that it justifies such a price.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jul 2019, 12:41 AM   #8
germansaram

It's not an option for me neither. I'm actually satisfied with what I have.
germansaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2019, 07:29 AM   #9
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Well, I wasn't exactly asking the question of the article title - I just thought some of you might find the article (and viewpoint) interesting.
webecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Aug 2021, 04:15 AM   #10
TenFour
Master of the @

Superhuman raised another $75 million and it hasn't even launched yet. https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexkon...h=68b6fa0d4918
Old 6 Aug 2021, 08:18 AM   #11
markwolk
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by webecedarian View Post
Would You Pay $30 a Month to Check Your Email?
Yes. For Tuffmail, unchanged, as it is now, maybe with some security improvements backstage if needed.
markwolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Aug 2021, 06:48 AM   #12
digp
Master of the @

Why Tuffmail?
digp is offline   Reply With Quote