EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 6 Jan 2021, 01:14 AM   #31
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarland View Post
Just a heads up: huge problem with Fastmail. ....

...Your inbound mail is being sent to a third party without your action or consent.
Actually I think it is done with the user's consent: it requires that the user check a box when setting the spam filtering options.

To the subject of this thread: this issue probably should not affect a business's decision if FastMail's system is appropriate or not to their needs, as the customer can turn it off and on (in addition the user can leave it on and do it on a per folder basis, because the user can set each folder separately as "spam learning" or not, and the user can completely take over the spam filtering system for their account and rebuild it using filtering rules).
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jan 2021, 04:33 AM   #32
jarland
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
MXRoute.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaso View Post
Actually I think it is done with the user's consent: it requires that the user check a box when setting the spam filtering options.
Is it off by default? I genuinely don't know as I wasn't the primary account holder. I know I didn't enable it on my individual account.
jarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jan 2021, 08:21 AM   #33
TenFour
Cornerstone of the Community

There's a check box under Settings/Filters and Rules/Spam Protection/Advanced. The option is to "Share spam with other companies fighting it." I don't recall ever making that selection, so I believe it is on by default. However, the description implies that it is only messages you mark as spam that will be shared with other companies.
Quote:
Help fight spam by sharing emails you report as spam with spam-fighting companies. These emails are used to improve spam detection for everyone.
As a nonprofit communications professional I find that one problem is the average person has no idea what "spam" means, and they might mark your unwanted email as spam instead of simply unsubscribing from the email they originally signed up for.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote