EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 7 Sep 2011, 04:33 AM   #16
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
No outage back then doesn't mean no outage now. We certainly did have an outage now - I estimate it was about 1/2 hour.

The bad news - same issue as last time, and the first blade again, but in our SECOND bladecentre. A blade died and flooded the network so hard that it stopped all traffic to other blades in the same centre. Pretty impressive.

The good news - we have a separate management network, so I could not only see immediately (well, within a few minutes of actually being aware of the issue and getting my arse in front of a computer with access) I could find the offending host and kill it as soon as I'd taken a screenshot of the kernel panic for posterity.

At which point everything started working again, just like magic. Except for one service, which stayed sad. I'll have to look into why it doesn't recover from DB outages later... for now I'm just restarting it everywhere.
brong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Sep 2011, 04:33 AM   #17
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flob View Post
It'd be nice if the "representatives of Opera" would check with their colleagues before making snide comments.
I have to agree with that. The remark was unprofessional.
541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Sep 2011, 04:33 AM   #18
akorvemaker
Master of the @

The comments from Neil and Johan look pretty reasonable to me. Also, looking at the timestamps on their posts, they were made about 12 hours before this recent outage that is mentioned on the status blog.
akorvemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Sep 2011, 04:36 AM   #19
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by 541 View Post
I have to agree with that. The remark was unprofessional.
Quoting something 12 hours ago and assuming it's related to a half hour outage now is pretty unprofessional. I saw that post then, and I confirmed that everything was fine. I have a pretty accurate timestamp for this outage starting - only it didn't page me immediately and I couldn't get to a computer immediately when it did.

Rob and Richard also came online to help, but I had already resolved the immediate problem by the time they contacted me, so I sent Rob back to bed and Richard back to his visiting family.
Old 7 Sep 2011, 04:38 AM   #20
tobiasdr

Are you aware of any email being lost? Test messages i sent from my Gmail account about half an hour ago just when this recent error surfaced have not arrived yet.
tobiasdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Sep 2011, 04:39 AM   #21
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brong View Post
Quoting something 12 hours ago and assuming it's related to a half hour outage now is pretty unprofessional. I saw that post then, and I confirmed that everything was fine. I have a pretty accurate timestamp for this outage starting - only it didn't page me immediately and I couldn't get to a computer immediately when it did.

Rob and Richard also came online to help, but I had already resolved the immediate problem by the time they contacted me, so I sent Rob back to bed and Richard back to his visiting family.
The outage was only a half hour ago for me, not 12 hours ago.
541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Sep 2011, 04:41 AM   #22
tobiasdr

Alright, my test messages arrived now.
tobiasdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Sep 2011, 04:48 AM   #23
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Email should not be lost - our servers were not accepting new email without being able to confirm with the database one way or the other, so it will be queueing remotely. 1/2 hour is not long enough for any sane site to start discarding queued emails.
Old 7 Sep 2011, 04:52 AM   #24
bbrener
Essential Contributor

The time stamps are inaccurate. My time stamps show 04.00am and here in Phoenix it was 12.00pm and 3.00pm EST. They seem to change when you log in and not when you are just viewing. They were current when they were made. I was watching the posts as new entries came in.
bbrener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Sep 2011, 04:58 AM   #25
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
I'm not sure what you mean, bbrener. The 'Date:' header, or the time they were delieverd to your mailbox (internaldate)?
Old 7 Sep 2011, 05:13 AM   #26
bbrener
Essential Contributor

No, I mean the date of the post shown in the forum. I believe that was the '12 hours ago' that may have been referred to. I can send you screenshots.
Your post shows a time of 04.58am (Australian time?) in the forum if I just view it. If I log in to the forum, the time of your post changes to 12.58pm which is my current time in PST and obtained from my profile obviously. I was pointing out that some might get confused by that.
bbrener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Sep 2011, 05:54 AM   #27
rabarberski
Master of the @

@brong: Although you might be aware, I didn't see it mentioned anywhere but beta.fastmail.fm is still down
(site reports "MessagingEngine.com Server Outage ...")

Regular server is OK, and I am fine using it, so not really an issue
rabarberski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Sep 2011, 06:05 AM   #28
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
rabarberski: well noticed. See if you can guess which machine was the culprit

We don't have multiple servers for the betaweb, so when it's down, it's down. I'm in the process of trying to bring it back up.
Old 7 Sep 2011, 06:06 PM   #29
rabarberski
Master of the @

Quote:
We don't have multiple servers for the betaweb, so when it's down, it's down. I'm in the process of trying to bring it back up.
Beta all fine now.
rabarberski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Sep 2011, 09:47 PM   #30
COUME
Master of the @

Quote:
Email should not be lost - our servers were not accepting new email without being able to confirm with the database one way or the other, so it will be queueing remotely. 1/2 hour is not long enough for any sane site to start discarding queued emails.
I received notification from LinkedIn that my email address was bouncing emails. btw, it was a domain hosted with FM not a FM email address so it.

Thanks
COUME is offline   Reply With Quote