EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > About this site...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

About this site... Do you have any thoughts, suggestions or comments about this site? Post them here...

Old 3 Mar 2020, 02:58 AM   #1
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Need to log in again all the time

Something weird going on today… I signed in, wanted to respond to some topics, but while doing so I had to re-sign in numerous times. As if my session expired after just a minute or so… A couple of times I had to re-sign in after completing a post, which then appeared in the topic only after re-entering username and password.

This is odd.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 3 Mar 2020, 07:27 AM   #2
Bamb0
Master of the @

Lightbulb

Make sure to check REMEMBER ME when logging in (Its not auto checked on those big login prompts.. Only checked on the 1 on the upper right)
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Mar 2020, 09:31 PM   #3
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

I don't want to be remembered.

Are you clearing cookies on exit? Do you have a cookie cleaner add-on installed?
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2020, 03:14 AM   #4
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Problem still not fixed. Each time I want to publish a post, I have to re-sign in before the text is actually published as a new post.

Remaining logged in is great on my own laptop, but I sometimes check the forum from other devices too where I would rather not see my password remembered or so. So this issue is really inconvenient
Old 26 Mar 2020, 04:23 AM   #5
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I don't understand your complaint. Are you asking to be able to post to EMD without checking in? That's not possible - it would lead to a huge amount of spam. If you post on EMD you will be shown as "Tsunami", and the only way for EMD to know it's really you is for you to sign in.

If you enable cookies and allow the browser to save your login credentials, you won't need to manually log in.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2020, 01:25 PM   #6
Bamb0
Master of the @

Tsunami: Are you checking REMEMBER ME when you first login??
Old 28 Mar 2020, 01:57 AM   #7
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
I don't understand your complaint. Are you asking to be able to post to EMD without checking in? That's not possible - it would lead to a huge amount of spam. If you post on EMD you will be shown as "Tsunami", and the only way for EMD to know it's really you is for you to sign in.

If you enable cookies and allow the browser to save your login credentials, you won't need to manually log in.

Bill
No, I don't want to post without signing in The issue is that once I'm signed in, after just a few minutes I seem to be logged out again automatically. When I want to reply to a post, most of the times I have to re-enter my username and password before the post is published.

I don't check "remember me" when checking the forum on a computer which is not my own (eg family or friend's computer, work computer, ...)
Old 28 Mar 2020, 03:17 AM   #8
Bamb0
Master of the @

As long as you click LOGOUT there is no reason to be afraid of clicking REMEMBER ME....

I always logout after Im done.......

Try it
Old 28 Mar 2020, 04:23 AM   #9
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow EMD Forum session timeout

See this EMD FAQ page:
https://www.emaildiscussions.com/faq...vb_use_cookies

Read the "Does this forum use cookies?" and "How do I clear my cookies?" sections. Here is how I think this works in more detail:
  • If you decide to not check "Remember Me" and so not use cookies, a session ID is sent when your browser communicates with the EMD website.
  • There is a session timeout when you choose to do things in this manner without cookies. If you move around the EMD Forums every once in a while you should be able to avoid the session timeouts. I believe that the default vBulletin timeout is probably 15 minutes, but Edwin may have set it differently.
  • See this vBulletin forum post (and related posts in that thread):
    Session Timeout setting
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote