EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 7 Mar 2023, 09:38 PM   #16
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpan View Post
the answer provided by chatgpt looks really fun. where did you query it?
Here: https://chat.openai.com/chat. ChatGPT is a very fun way of doing research, and getting results really fast. One problem is that sometimes the info provided is wrong. But after you get them you can use other methods to verify them, like Google and Wikipedia, and even if the info is nonsense it can lead to the path that eventually provides the correct info with little effort. (It can also code, so perhaps we should try to see if it can write Sieve code to accomplish some filtering tasks).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
I suppose another way of asking this question would be:
"What major email providers are mostly known only in their home countries, and would be unlikely to be known by those outside the country."
This was ChatGPT's answer to this question:
Quote:
Here are some major email providers that are mostly known only in their home countries and may be unlikely to be known by those outside the country:
  1. Russia: Mail.ru, Yandex.Mail, Rambler Mail
  2. Germany: GMX, Web.de, T-Online.de
  3. Brazil: Bol Mail, UOL Mail, Terra Mail
  4. Japan: Yahoo Japan Mail, Nifty Mail, So-net Mail
  5. South Korea: Naver Mail, Daum Mail, Hanmail
  6. China: Tencent QQ Mail, Sina Mail, 163.com
  7. India: Rediffmail, Sify Mail, Indiatimes Mail
  8. Italy: Libero Mail, Virgilio Mail, Tiscali Mail
  9. France: Orange, Free, SFR
  10. Spain: Correo de Orange, Ono Mail, Telefonica Mail
These email providers have a strong presence in their respective countries and may not be as well-known outside of them. However, some of them may have expanded their services to other countries or regions over time, so their recognition outside their home country may vary. Additionally, there may be other email providers that are not as well-known internationally but are popular within their own countries.

Seems to be inaccurate at least with respect to mail.ru.

Quote:
From a practical standpoint, I like having an email address that is instantly recognized and easily typed by anyone in the world. I run some mailing lists and people with long clever email addresses before the @ and strange domains after the @ are much more likely to be entered into our systems incorrectly. There are some that are so hard to read and type that I must basically go letter by letter and carefully hand peck each one and then double-check I haven't made a mistake.
Very long (and hard to type) addresses can be useful when one has to publish them in public where spammers are collecting them (like Whois database). Spammers tend to truncate very long addresses. Perhaps using a very long address (I think 63 characters is the official limit) and using a rule that allows it but rejects all or most truncations of the localpart (like: discard everything with same domain and first 8 characters of the localpart, except the long address itself) can eliminate a lot of spam, when such an address has to be posted where spammers tend to look for it.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Mar 2023, 03:12 AM   #17
soromak
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpan View Post
I think it should be "branded". when people say Norway Email, they first time think of Runbox. That's so branded.
Less popular than Hotmail or gmail in Norway, though.

Funny thing, so far i do not know anybody of my friends or associates in Norway using Runbox.

With servers in Oslo and Stavanger area Microsoft is quite well established in the business, and all the other free providers in private use.
soromak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Mar 2023, 05:09 AM   #18
rscaramelo

I'd like a good Portuguese one if there are any recommendations
rscaramelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Mar 2023, 05:25 AM   #19
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
22. Netherlands: Ziggo Mail, KPN Mail, Telfort Mail
In essence these are not e-mail providers, but internet providers (ISP) with e-mail as a by-product.
Startmail and Soverin are true Dutch email providers.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2023, 06:32 AM   #20
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscaramelo View Post
I'd like a good Portuguese one if there are any recommendations
Isn't sapo.pt the main email platform in Portugal?
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2023, 06:34 AM   #21
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
It is strange how accurate chatgpt's answers were, Hadaso It's almost like a conversation with a quite well-educated human being (educated in the field of email)!

As for the original question: in my country, Belgium, the overwhelming amount of people use Gmail or Hotmail or a domain provided by their internet service provider.
Email providers based in Belgium that are somewhat known are ContactOffice, Mail.be, and especially MailFence (the latter is very well known amongst those who care a lot about privacy)
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2023, 07:00 PM   #22
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
It is strange how accurate chatgpt's answers were, Hadaso It's almost like a conversation with a quite well-educated human being (educated in the field of email)!
well-educated and polite.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote