EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 14 Sep 2018, 08:54 AM   #1
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Favourites in MS Edge odd behaviour

In my browser (previously MS Internet Explorer, since the upgrade to Windows 10 it's Microsoft Edge) I mark a lot of webpages as favourites. Not Always pages I visit often, but also webpages or sites I wish to not forget about ; marking them as favourites and having them listed amongst the saved favourites means I'll never totally forget about those pages since they pop up in the (long) list of websites I marked as favourite.

In MS Edge, usually a webpage can be marked as favourite by clicking the empty (colourless) star in the very right corner of the URL bar. Once marked as favourite, that star will colour yellow/gold and the site is saved amongst your Favourites.

Also, usually when typing the first characters of a web address marked as favourite, it will be auto-completed in the URL bar with a star icon to the left of it.

Lately my browser is behaving a bit odd though: once I revisit a webpage I saved in my Favourites, the star icon to the left of the URL (autocompleted in my browser) is gone and replaced by an icon that looks like a small clock.
Also, sometimes if I re-visit a webpage I marked as a Favourite, the star in the right corner of the URL bar is colourless again and I have to click it again to make it yellow/gold-ish again (as if re-visiting the page un-marks the website as a Favourite and I'd have to save it as a Favourite again ; which cannot be the purpose since many people save pages they very frequently visit as a Favourite)

Did anyone else experience a similar issue? Or does anyone know how this can be resolved? I don't want sites to be marked as a Favourite to disappear from my list of favourites simply by visiting the same site again ...
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 9 Oct 2018, 08:11 AM   #2
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Still occuring. A couple of URLs I had marked as favourites, some recently and some longer time ago, now had a white (blank) star as opposed to the yellow-goldish star indicating the webpage is saved amongst favourites. I had to click the blank star icon again, re-saving the webpage as a favourite, upon which the star coloured yellow-goldish again.

I don't get it. Contacted Microsoft helpdesk per telephone, but their advise didn't resolve this issue. I'm getting a bit clueless about this, especially because there seems to be no logical pattern as to when re-visiting a "favourite" does or doesn't "un-favourite" the specific page.
Old 10 Oct 2018, 02:19 PM   #3
Bamb0
Master of the @

Hmm can you click your favourites list and choose "Add to favourites"??
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Oct 2018, 12:37 PM   #4
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamb0 View Post
Hmm can you click your favourites list and choose "Add to favourites"??
The blank star icon in the right of the URL bar is basically the "add to favourites". Once added to favourites, the star gets a yellow/goldish colour and the website is marked as a favourite.

The problem occuring is that upon re-visiting the same webpage, the star icon is blank again and I have to save the page to favourites again. That isn't the purpose ; marking a page as favourite is exactly with the intention of regularly revisiting it. If that "unmarks" the page as a favourite, then there's little point in saving to favourites in the first place.

The odd thing is that there is no logical pattern neither. Sometimes revisiting the page doesn't unmark and the star icon in the right of the URL bar remains goldish, sometimes when revisiting the page the star is blank again.

Could this be a browser-specific issue with MS Edge? I'm used to that one, but if this issue is not occuring in other browsers, I'm happy to install Firefox...
Old 11 Oct 2018, 02:23 PM   #5
Bamb0
Master of the @

Are the sites still in the favourites list regardless of the star? (They should be)

Last edited by Bamb0 : 28 Dec 2018 at 12:38 PM.
Old 27 Dec 2018, 01:20 AM   #6
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Hmmm, never checked that. I'm not on my own computer now, but I'll check as soon as I'm back home and respond to your remark. So far I've only paid attention to the "star" icon's colour ; the odd thing is that when the star icon is not coloured gold you can click it and "re-add" the page to favourites.

I'll check whether they're still in the favourites list.
Old 28 Dec 2018, 12:37 PM   #7
Bamb0
Master of the @

See if you can right click anywhere on the page and choose "ADD TO FAVORITES" from the list... (I can do that so I am curious)