EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 25 Nov 2003, 06:13 AM   #1
ezfig

Question POP delete mail doesn't work

Is there any way to get Fastmail to delete mail once it's retrieved it from my server?

I know it says there is, but it doesn't work - not immediately, not after three days....
ezfig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25 Nov 2003, 06:36 AM   #2
schmoe
Essential Contributor

Works for me.

While on the subject of deleting pop link messages....

FastMail has a unique philosophy, all email will be deleted, but you can delay for a configurable period of time (max as long as 6 months) if need be.

The traditional or most typical philosophy gives the user 4 different options:
  • retrieve new, leave messages on server(marking them read)
  • retrieve new, delete new messages on server
  • retrieve all, leave messages on server
  • retrieve all, delete all messages on server
I find the traditional philosphy more elegant. Any reasons for implementing the unique approach? Not really a big deal for me, I have fastmail delete my messages right away, so either approach works for me. Just curious...
schmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Nov 2003, 11:21 AM   #3
claven

I've had this problem too, but just with one provider. Are duplicates of the old messages reloading into Fastmail or are they just staying on the source server?
claven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Nov 2003, 12:01 PM   #4
jrob720

Re: POP delete mail doesn't work

Quote:
Originally posted by ezfig
Is there any way to get Fastmail to delete mail once it's retrieved it from my server?

I know it says there is, but it doesn't work - not immediately, not after three days....
If your POP settings specify to leave messages on the server for (x days), then they won't be deleted (by FM, anyway) until the first time you do a POP retrieve (from FM) after the (x days) has expired. FM doesn't do that automagically (x days) later. Here's FM's FAQ

HTH,

-jeff-
jrob720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2003, 03:06 AM   #5
Mikedp

Pop depends 100% on your email client, so deleting the mail requires your email client to specificially request for them to be deleted.

As stated above, you can set for x # of days, or delete immediatly. But all that is thru your email program, nothing to do with fastmail at all.
Mikedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2003, 05:35 AM   #6
schmoe
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Pop depends 100% on your email client, so deleting the mail requires your email client to specificially request for them to be deleted.
As stated above, you can set for x # of days, or delete immediatly. But all that is thru your email program, nothing to do with fastmail at all.
I think it might be a fastmail issue. From ezfig's initial post, I presume he's using fastmail as his email client, configuring fastmail to delete popped email immediately.

I'm guessing the error is either at the external server or with his fastmail pop settings. To verify the external server, simply login from another email client (mail2web.com) and see if you can't delete email.

To verify the latter, can you list your exact pop link settings for pop link account that is not working? You needn't include the server, username, and password settings.
schmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2003, 11:27 PM   #7
ezfig

It works now

Hey all,

I have done nothing but forget for a while that I posted this problem. Now - suddenly - the mail is being deleted as expected.

Thanks for the suggestions.
ezfig is offline   Reply With Quote