EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 21 Mar 2002, 11:32 AM   #1
JohnnyUtah

Question Pine and IMAP

I am trying to configure Pine to work with my fastmail account, and I'm running into some problems. I edited the .pinerc file:

folder-collections=Mail mail/[ ], FastMail {fastmail.fm}INBOX.[ ]

It seems to work and asks for my password and logs me in; however, it shows my inbox as being empty, although in fact I do have emails that need to be read.

Another problem that I'm having is that I'm unable to set fastmail as my SMTP server in Pine. I am a member and not a guest, so I should be able to use this option.

Any detailed suggestions would be appreciated

JohnnyUtah is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 21 Mar 2002, 12:00 PM   #2
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Search this forum for 'Pine' and you'll find a few tips for both of these issues. Let us know if these don't fix your problem.
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2002, 04:47 PM   #3
JohnnyUtah

Thumbs up

What I ended up doing to get it to work is a just a little different than what I found in the forum.

In incoming-folders:
{fastmail.fm/user=userid/notls}INBOX

folder-collections
{fastmail.fm/user=userid/notls}INBOX.[]

I couldn't get it to work with ssl, and it wouldn't work with a label. I'm using Pine 4.44 on Mandrake 8.2. When I login I get a message saying it's not secure, so if I missed something could somebody please let me know?

Last edited by JohnnyUtah : 21 Mar 2002 at 05:52 PM.
Old 21 Mar 2002, 06:22 PM   #4
spiderman
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Fastcheck.org
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnnyUtah
When I login I get a message saying it's not secure, so if I missed something could somebody please let me know?
I believe this message will go if you replace fastmail.fm by www.fastmail.fm .

SM
spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2002, 03:18 AM   #5
JohnnyUtah

I inserted the www. and it didn't change things one way or the other....I'm pretty sure it has to do with the notls in my statements:

In incoming-folders:
{fastmail.fm/user=userid/notls}INBOX

folder-collections
{fastmail.fm/user=userid/notls}INBOX.[]

I tried ssl, and that did not work. I get a message that says my fastmail account is insecure. Some of the posts I searched said that fastmail doesn't support tls, but that it does support ssl; is this still the case?
Old 3 Apr 2002, 05:07 AM   #6
jam

better late than never?

Fastmail *does* support tls....
It always has for their imap server, just not for their smtp server.

The problem is that unix pine doesn't come with encryption built in by default, only pc-pine.

You can download a version that supports SSL here, if you know how to build it...
http://www.washington.edu/pine/getpi...pted/index.cgi

I finally installed pc-pine 4.44 after travelling abroad for the last couple of months, and noticed a few things.

I think when they upgraded their smtp server to support tls (or at some other point), it changed the process a bit. You used to have to specify user=UID or you wouldn't be able to connect, and if you wanted /tls you had to specify it. Now, their servers automatically prompt you for that info and try to establish a secure connection even if you haven't specified it.... So you have to use /notls if you *don't* want an encrypted session, even with the fastmail.fm server.

[Edit: Actually I now think it's a Pine 4.44 thing. Same thing happens with other accounts I have.]

I learned a couple of other things, putting together a clean install again. Perhaps I'll put together a faq.

-jam

Last edited by jam : 6 Apr 2002 at 03:37 PM.
jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Apr 2002, 05:29 AM   #7
JohnnyUtah

Thanks a lot Jam, that was very informative. I'll use the link and download a version that supports tls. If you put up a FAQ let me know-

Floyd
Old 6 Apr 2002, 09:26 AM   #8
jam

Cool Okay!

I've written up a pine faq in three parts.

The question is should I post it here, or e-mail it Jeremy and Rob?

-jam
Old 6 Apr 2002, 10:45 AM   #9
JohnnyUtah

You could try both, and could I talk you into emailing it to me? I'm taking over my local LUG, and we could use it, with your permission of course
Old 6 Apr 2002, 03:40 PM   #10
jam

Talking

Sure. Where do you want me to send it? I think we both have the e-mail option turned off....

jam - paranoia is good, especially with the friends I have.
Old 6 Apr 2002, 04:18 PM   #11
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

The email option is pretty safe BTW--it doesn't show your email address, it just lets the user use a web form to send you email. This isn't made clear by the User CP unfortunately.
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote