EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 23 Sep 2019, 08:13 PM   #1
rabarberski
Master of the @

Where did the "Quota" page go?

I was trying to go to the quota page, which was linked to from the "Folders" page.
However, I don't see/find it anymore.

I checked help, and the page https://www.fastmail.com/help/account/limits.html says:
Quote:
You can also view a detailed report of your storage quota by going to Settings → Folders and clicking the Quota usage link at the bottom of the screen.
However, I still can't find it.

Is there still a quota page?
If so, how to get there?
If not, how to check my current quota counters?
rabarberski is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23 Sep 2019, 11:09 PM   #2
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Using the webmail interface, in Firefox:

I don't know about "detailed" but you can see your allowed storage and how much is in use from the info at the very bottom of the list of folders on your main FM page.

Separately if you hover over a folder name on that page you'll get a tooltip saying how many messages in total it holds, and to the right of the name there should be a number (of unread messages) in a box before the three-dots icon.

If you go to Settings - Folders, then on the righthand size of the page, opposite each folder name, there's figures showing: Total number of messages (Number unread) and folder storage size.

You can't sort the display by number of messages or size order.

Don't click on 'Sort All Alphabetically' (at the foot of the display) because (I think) people have found that doing so changes the actual order of the folders as you use them, not just their position on /this/ page. If you do click it you'll have to drag them all back into the right positions.

That's it, I think.

Last edited by JeremyNicoll : 23 Sep 2019 at 11:16 PM.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Sep 2019, 04:12 PM   #3
rabarberski
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyNicoll View Post
I don't know about "detailed" but you can see your allowed storage and how much is in use from the info at the very bottom of the list of folders on your main FM page.
I know about the total mail storage quota at the bottom left. However, there used to be a quota page where (It think) you could also see your daily limits with the amount of messages sent. (i.e. "Limits on sending/receiving email" as from here https://www.fastmail.com/help/account/limits.html). That is actually what I am looking for. (I have configured a server to use the fastmail smtp, and I want to monitor/check if it is not using too much of my sending quota)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyNicoll View Post
Don't click on 'Sort All Alphabetically' (at the foot of the display) because (I think) people have found that doing so changes the actual order of the folders as you use them, not just their position on /this/ page.
Ah wow. Indeed. I had clicked it yesterday, and now that I read your statement, I see that my folder order is messed up.
rabarberski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2019, 08:08 AM   #4
gardenweed
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabarberski View Post

Ah wow. Indeed. I had clicked it yesterday, and now that I read your statement, I see that my folder order is messed up.
Yeah, that's a nasty feature, that one. There's no 'undo' or revert.

With regard to the missing info from the old quota page ....
unfortunately FM seems to be continuing to remove features from a once great platform.
I used to use quota usage list and sort it order of folder size to see where I should focus for reclaiming some space.

From previous comments from FM rep's here, the decision to remove a feature (and simplify the UI) seems to be justified by the number of users that use that feature and the frequency of use.
I think that's a poor metric to use.
Just because an item is not being used a lot, doesn't mean that it doesn't have a really important usage case.

In 20 years, I've never used the fire extinguisher in our kitchen - on that basis should it be removed from the kitchen as part of a decluttering exercise?
I think not.
Similar with some of the decluttering going on at FM.

Oh well
gardenweed is offline   Reply With Quote