EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 15 Sep 2004, 07:13 AM   #1
pengolodh_sc

Problem accessing emails in webmail, slow access, no POP3

Greetings,

Starting Friday September 10th, I have been having problems with my runbox-service. While the login-page of runbox loads very rapidly, it gets very slow once i log ing - for each action, the server gives me a response-time of typically 30-60 seconds before I get a single byte back. I can log in, and I can view the listings of each mail-folder, and I can also move emails between folders, and delete emails from the folder when viewing the folder listing. However, I can not actually open the emails - when trying to open any email I have in any folder, the only thing that happens is that after 30 to 60 seconds the listing of emails in the folder reloads. I also do not have POP3-access anymore - trying to receive messages from runbox.com with Outlook Express gives me an errormessage that says (roughly - this is a translation from Norwegian):

Quote:
The server has unexpectedly broken the connection. This may be due to server-problems, network-problems, or a long period without activity. Account: 'pop.runbox.no', Server: 'pop.runbox.no', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure (SSL): No, Errorcode: 0x800CCC0F
I have experienced this problem on several computers, all based in Norway, using Opera 7+, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer 6+, on both Windows 98 SE and Windows XP SP2. All computers have broadband-access, with no signs of slowness accessing either Norwegian or foreign websites, outside of runbox. No computers have had any changes in setup, or upgrades/patches, prior to the problems appearing, and upgrades/patches from MS that I have installed afterwards have not helped.

Edited to add: I should also mention that since Friday, there have been no new messages shown in my mailbox, though I know that mailinglists/Yahoo!Groups this email-address is subscribed to have had numerous emails arrive over the weekends. My email-address is not listed as bouncing by Yahoo!Groups, however.

Last edited by pengolodh_sc : 15 Sep 2004 at 07:25 AM.
pengolodh_sc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15 Sep 2004, 11:46 AM   #2
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
can not actually open the emails - when trying to open any email I have in any folder, the only thing that happens is that after 30 to 60 seconds the listing of emails in the folder reloads.
I'm not 100% certain but that sounds like a problem that has happened in the past when they moved some accounts to another server and missed updating the account records. It could get the listing info from the database but couldn't get the actual message because it had moved to another server.

Regards,
Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2004, 09:22 PM   #3
Liz
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Hi there,

This was due to a rather big problem with your particular account this, in fact...fix in progress now, sorry..!

Liz
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2004, 11:51 PM   #4
trond
Essential Contributor

Hi.

Yes, Carverrn is almost right. We moved all users from gaspode, one of the file servers, to our new storage unit. For some reason, your user was not moved. On friday, we took gaspode offline to do some hardware and firmware upgrades, and that means that your account is actually offline as well :-(

I have now created a new homedir for you, and restored all the mails we had backup of. At the moment, 20 mails that arrived after the last backup, before gaspode was taken offline, has not yet been restored. These will be restored once gaspode is back online, which it should be later this week.

The missing mails arrived friday, september 10th, between 01:22 +0200 and 05:33 +0200

I'm really sorry about this. I'll restore your remaining mails as soon as possible.
trond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2004, 06:56 AM   #5
pengolodh_sc

Thank you for your help in this matter - such swift and efficient reaction forms a welcome change from other email-services I pay/have paid for. The account seems in working order now. I have one final question, if you do not mind - will I receive the emails that were sent while my account was offline, or are they lost now? This is not a critical matter, more a matter of curiosity from my part.
pengolodh_sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2004, 07:26 AM   #6
Liz
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
hei,

Actually, I'm not 100% sure - I think they would have bounced, as my tests did prior to the fix. In some similar cases, mail has been delivered upon fixing, but I don't think that was the case here, unfortunately.

Liz
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote