EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Google Gmail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Google Gmail Forum Discussions related to Google's Gmail service should go here: suggestions, tips, comments, requests for help, tech issues etc.

Old 1 Apr 2005, 01:40 PM   #1
ReuvenNY

Google plans to double Gmail capacity

More hot news: Google plans to double Gmail capacity to 2 Gb...

http://news.com.com/Google+plans+to+...tag=html.alert

Excerpt:

Google plans to offer a bottomless cup of storage with its Gmail Web-based e-mail service, dramatically raising the bar for rivals in the sharply competitive business for the second time in a year.

The Mountain View, Calif.-based Web giant on Friday plans to double the free storage on Gmail from 1GB to 2GB, said Georges Harik, Gmail product management director. After that, Google will add a yet-to-be-determined amount of extra storage daily, with no plans to stop.

The move highlights the seemingly inexhaustible storage needs of a small group of heavy e-mail users, and the sharply falling costs of online storage. Lifting pre-defined storage caps for Web-based e-mail could have broader ripple effects, Harik said, changing the way people think about quotas from something that is set in advance to something that grows with the user.
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 1 Apr 2005, 01:42 PM   #2
The Storm
Essential Contributor

Well, what on earth is going on in the free email world! Is there a method to this madness lol
The Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Apr 2005, 02:31 PM   #3
war17
The "e" in e-mail

2 GB and then add to this amount daily? Wow!

The last paragraph in the referenced article from news.com states that Gmail will remain in beta for now with no timeline for release.
war17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Apr 2005, 02:47 PM   #4
SAS
Cornerstone of the Community

Mine is already increasing in size....slowly. Every time I check my account, it goes up a little more.
SAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Apr 2005, 02:57 PM   #5
pyedka
Cornerstone of the Community

really no need to throw anything away.
pyedka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Apr 2005, 02:58 PM   #6
ReuvenNY

Quote:
Originally posted by SAS
Mine is already increasing in size....slowly. Every time I check my account, it goes up a little more.
You right, mine is up to 1057Mb...
Old 1 Apr 2005, 03:34 PM   #7
photog

Storage Going Up!

My storage limit has gone up 75MB so tonight. It seems to go
up 1 MB every few minutes or so. Anybody got any idea what's going on? As of now my limit is 1078 MB.

Charlie
photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Apr 2005, 03:43 PM   #8
Edwin
 Administrator 

Could be a joke... or a real-feature-masquerading-as-joke i.e. perhaps Google is moving to 1.5GB or 2GB, but is doing it in a "discussion-worthy" way. After all, they love creating a buzz!
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Apr 2005, 03:45 PM   #9
Edwin
 Administrator 

I swear I guessed before checking, but here's the relevant info straight off Gmail:-

Quote:
Storage is an important part of email, but that doesn't mean you should have to worry about it. To celebrate our one-year birthday, we're giving everyone one more gigabyte. But why stop the party there? Our plan is to continue growing your storage beyond 2GBs by giving you more space as we are able. We know that email will only become more important in people's lives, and we want Gmail to keep up with our users and their needs. From Gmail, you can expect more.
http://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/about_whatsnew.html
Old 1 Apr 2005, 03:45 PM   #10
war17
The "e" in e-mail

My storage is going up also, maybe in proportion to the amount of usage. It could be part of the Google storage upgrade discussed here.

http://www.emaildiscussions.com/...threadid=34297
war17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Apr 2005, 03:46 PM   #11
ReuvenNY

It seems real. See this thread:

http://www.emaildiscussions.com/...threadid=34297
Old 1 Apr 2005, 03:57 PM   #12
Edwin
 Administrator 

Relevant aside: My sincere advice to Gmail competitors is to stop trying to compete on storage! I am sure this announcement is going to prompt new calls for storage quota hikes on this forum and elsewhere, but I honestly don't believe you can ever out-do Google on that front. Any knee-jerk attempt to catch up will only cost more money, while benefitting a tiny tiny fraction of your userbase.

Instead, you need to focus on all the other things your service offering can do that Gmail can't - and start coming up with more points of differentiation.
Old 1 Apr 2005, 04:00 PM   #13
The Storm
Essential Contributor

Yahoo or Hotmail would have the capacity to do that. Tho I think that 2gb is just getting crazy - will it be 5? 10? no 50gb storage next?
The Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Apr 2005, 04:02 PM   #14
Edwin
 Administrator 

Quote:
Originally posted by The Storm
Yahoo or Hotmail would have the capacity to do that. Tho I think that 2gb is just getting crazy - will it be 5? 10? no 50gb storage next?
I doubt it, because Y! and H have somewhere between 10x and 50x more user accounts. Plus they were built on older technology - Gmail was engineered very recently so can take maximum advantage of the proprietary Google filesystem and the super-cheap redundant hardware configurations it supports.

Storage costs continue to drop about 50% a year, so presumably Google could keep doubling capacity each year basically forever, so long as it's willing to pump cash into infrastructure.
Old 1 Apr 2005, 04:10 PM   #15
mindlean

i'm using gamil as one of my main email services. so i'm checking it several times in a day. i noticed that my gmail account is now offering 1097 mbytes. gmail also added rich formatting. it's getting better.
mindlean is offline   Reply With Quote