EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 8 Nov 2016, 11:36 PM   #1
cmac

gmail or yahoo?

Which would you rather use? gmail or yahoo. not so much for the function, either works fine for me but rather security i suppose.

i've been using yahoo email for a decade for a number of things that i don't use my fastmail account for as i prefer to keep them seperate but after the yahoo hack news, i am having second thoughts as to if i should stay with yahoo or not.
cmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8 Nov 2016, 11:44 PM   #2
ReuvenNY

Gmail, no contest... I would not touch Yahoo even if the pay me!
ReuvenNY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Nov 2016, 01:03 AM   #3
William9
The "e" in e-mail

I agree: Gmail.
BTW, I closed my Yahoo account, but I can still access it -- and send and receive messages
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Nov 2016, 01:18 AM   #4
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReuvenNY View Post
Gmail, no contest... I would not touch Yahoo even if the pay me!
Agreed: when Yahoo closed my account down (many moons ago) for no reason, I was not really upset, as I rarely used it. What did annoy me though was that they continued to forward my messages (to another account) where I continued to receive their spam.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Nov 2016, 12:11 PM   #5
ccl1
Essential Contributor

yahoo is flat out garbage.
I made a new account, gave the email to nobody. within days I started getting spam to my inbox. Not even the spam folder.
ccl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Nov 2016, 11:02 PM   #6
ezkop

I agree yahoo is garbage. Try sending yourself an email and you'll see, it could take up to 10min to get it. The ads are also too much, it's unbearable.

Gmail is solid. Though I just don't like the whole label system. Don't know if anyone prefer it to folders, I just find it unnecessary and confusing.
ezkop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2016, 04:29 AM   #7
cmac

made the switch...the hardest part was finding a decent available username. i have a bunch of gmail account but all ridiculous names i registered in my younger days.
Old 10 Nov 2016, 05:10 AM   #8
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

the only nice thing about Yahoo mail is the interface....thats kinddda nice. But technicaly spoken indeed it is garbage from the worst kind.. The only thing which soks more then yahoo mail is AOL....imho. Its good that these two have found eahother now....maybe something better will emerge,allthough i will doubt that.

yes if you can live with the snooping arround in your private emails Gmail is a good choice.

D
Dutchie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2016, 05:57 AM   #9
rockman

Neither. Outlook.com has a much better product.
rockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2016, 08:36 AM   #10
cmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockman View Post
Neither. Outlook.com has a much better product.
i assume hotmail is the same thing? i find hotmail slow and sometimes emails won't even load.
Old 10 Nov 2016, 09:06 AM   #11
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac View Post
i assume hotmail is the same thing? i find hotmail slow and sometimes emails won't even load.
Outlook dot com webmail is what is being referred to, methinks. It seems quite fast and works well for me. I am not convinced though that it is a better product than GMail.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2016, 11:10 AM   #12
ezkop

outlook.com... After the interface upgrade, you can't even see the total number of emails in each folder. And all emails are displayed on one continuous page, you have to keep scrolling to be able to see the old emails.
ezkop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2016, 11:46 AM   #13
rockman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkop View Post
outlook.com... After the interface upgrade, you can't even see the total number of emails in each folder. And all emails are displayed on one continuous page, you have to keep scrolling to be able to see the old emails.
Meh - no big deal. The new interface, which is essentially Office 365 Exchange Outlook Web Access, is almost perfect. The integrations features are quite clever.
rockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2016, 12:52 AM   #14
ccl1
Essential Contributor

I actually don't like the ui of outlook very much. The desaturated/low contrast off white/light grey etc makes it harder on my eyes. The layout could be better, theres about 2 inches of dead space from the top of the page to where my first email is displayed. I don't think anything they changed was an improvement from the old hotmail layout. I also don't like how I am automatically signed in to skype, and there seems to be no way to sign out of that. Or how I think it automatically added all the email contacts to my skype account.
Also it takes forever to try to log out. For example I'll click the icon, nothing. click, nothing, click, nothing. eventually a click will register and I'll get the dropdown box to sign out.
ccl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jan 2017, 03:31 AM   #15
Steven Avery

yahoo mail may be superior for yahoo groups forum answering

If you get a lot of forum mail on Yahoo, and if you want to answer online instead of from the desktop, your yahoo account might be superior for that purpose. I think I found that to be the case a year or two ago.
Steven Avery is offline   Reply With Quote