EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 18 Oct 2017, 04:25 PM   #1
Kit

How do I delete a folder?

I have a subfolder in FM that I created and now need to delete. I move any messages in it to my inbox and then delete the folder. Sometimes immediately FM recreates the folder and moves the messages back. Sometimes it does it at my next login but no matter what I can not delete it permanetly.
I have posted to FM support but they have been no help and don't even answer me anymore. I'm very frustrated with their (lack of) help on what should be a simple issue.

TIA,
Kit
Kit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18 Oct 2017, 05:02 PM   #2
misc
Essential Contributor

Hi Kit,

this is indeed strange behaviour. Do you use any IMAP clients or services that connect via IMAP to your FM account? If so, maybe there is some kind of rule setup that moves messages into that folder (and also crates it if it doesn't exist)? You can check if there is any IMAP activity in the "Password & Security" section.

Cheers,
Michael
misc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2017, 05:09 PM   #3
Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by misc View Post
Hi Kit,

this is indeed strange behaviour. Do you use any IMAP clients or services that connect via IMAP to your FM account? If so, maybe there is some kind of rule setup that moves messages into that folder (and also crates it if it doesn't exist)? You can check if there is any IMAP activity in the "Password & Security" section.

Cheers,
Michael
Thanks Michael.
I looked in the Password & Security section and it shows when I've logged in with my iPad or Mac mail as well as FM mail. I have to check FM mail because the mail that ends up in my subfolder doesn't show up in Apple Mail. (I'm too used to Apple Mail to switch to FM Mail which I find to limiting)

Cheers,

Kit
Old 18 Oct 2017, 05:26 PM   #4
misc
Essential Contributor

If your Mac is using IMAP (not POP3) to connect to FM, then you can see all your subfolders in your Apple Mail client as well. Might be that you have to subscribe to your subfolders. You can do so in the "Account information" settings.

Back to your original question: Please check in your Apple Mail settings (cmd-,) if there are any rules that move messages to the folder you want to delete.
misc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2017, 03:07 AM   #5
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

I agree that an IMAP client is probably inducing the behavior you are seeing.
I would try (after doing what is necessary to make the subfolder visible in Apple Mail) deleting the folder from Apple Mail rather than the web interface. Even if that does not work, you may well receive error messages that hint at the source of the problem.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2017, 03:40 AM   #6
Kit

Talking I think (hope & Pray) that Misc got it

Quote:
Originally Posted by misc View Post
If your Mac is using IMAP (not POP3) to connect to FM, then you can see all your subfolders in your Apple Mail client as well. Might be that you have to subscribe to your subfolders. You can do so in the "Account information" settings.

Back to your original question: Please check in your Apple Mail settings (cmd-,) if there are any rules that move messages to the folder you want to delete.
Thanks to all. I think (hope & Pray) that Misc got it. I had a rule in Apple Mail. I deleted it and hopefully that fixed it.
It's sad that FM Support was not able to help and in fact don't even answer my pleas for help anymore.

Cheers,

Kit