EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 5 May 2002, 11:20 AM   #1
MrBond

Mozilla?

Does Fastmail still recommend use of Mozilla? It's approaching 1.0 now, and more email fixes are in than ever. But, does Fastmail still recommend it, and the various derivatives (Netscape 6, Beonex, etc.)? I have found that Mozilla Mail has been a very good IMAP client, and a good POP client as well. For the record, I support use of Mozilla.
MrBond is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5 May 2002, 11:59 AM   #2
psalzer

I think they still do, along with some others. I think Jeremy is still pretty happy with Mozilla as a browser as well as an e-mail client. It's not the only one they recommend, but I think it's still recommended. I'm looking forward to 1.0, too.
psalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2002, 06:59 PM   #3
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Do a search of the forum for Mozilla, and you'll see lots of tips from me and others.

Personally, it's the IMAP client that I use, and the browser that I use too. Mozilla still has a lot of shortcomings as an IMAP client, but it's probably the best free option at the moment. I just wish the developers would spend some time really understanding IMAP (e.g. getting instantaneous notification of new email, using faster approaches to showing # new emails, making it work right with Cyrus OOTB...)
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2002, 07:28 AM   #4
MrBond

RFE

Jeremy,
Are all of these issues known? I don't have much IMAP experience so I don't really know what issues you're talking about there (except instantaneous notification, sounds like what Outlook does with the evil Exchange Server =). I would suggest trying http://bugzilla.mozilla.org if you haven't already, and try searching for these issues or file an RFE on them (R equest F or E nhancement). It won't make the 1.0 builds (already branched, WYSIWYG in 1.0RC builds plus some bug fixes), but it can probably make the 1.1 branch if someone started working on them now.
MrBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2002, 08:46 AM   #5
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Frankly, I've given up on updating Bugzilla with IMAP issues. Given that this critical bug, which causes Moz to not work OOTB with most IMAP servers except for UW IMAP, is still not resolved (or even targeted!) after some years, makes me skeptical that anyone in the Moz team has any interest in supporting IMAP correctly. There are more examples of Bugzilla IMAP entries that are being ignored.

I'd love to find some time to understand the Moz codebase well enough to fix these issues myself, since they would only take a few minutes to fix. For instance, this one requires simply removing one character which is added when it shouldn't be. But getting on top of the code is a big job. If there's any Moz developers around I'd be happy to help in any way I can if you can work on these bugs.

Automated notification BTW is mentioned here: http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=141369
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote