EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20 Aug 2016, 02:29 AM   #91
odedp
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by robn View Post
That would be the "there's no change" bit.

If you're on an existing plan you can renew it before it's expiry date and it will continue on that plan.
Thank you Robn for clarifying this issue

Oded
Old 20 Aug 2016, 02:48 AM   #92
akorvemaker
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacinto View Post
It will continue until Fastmail stops it. I wouldn't be surprised if legacy subscribers are forced to "upgrade" by the end of 2021, by which time all current five year subscriptions will have expired.
I expect it to be more like the old $15 lifetime Member accounts. They didn't ever disappear (I believe), but became less and less useful due to limited space.

Similarly, I expect my Enhanced account to continue at 15GB for $40 indefinitely, though newer features and storage increases may start to be applied only to the new accounts. But I will continue to get what I signed up for.

I don't love the new pricing style (especially for how it impacts Family accounts), but I believe the price of Full and Enhanced accounts has stayed the same ($20 & $40) since I joined in 2002. The increases to the new account prices is similar to just keeping up with inflation (at least here in Canada).

For reference: https://web.archive.org/web/20021201....fm/mail/login ($40 for only 150MB!!)

Andy
Old 20 Aug 2016, 03:16 AM   #93
Der

Perhaps FM has decided it wants a professional, adult clientele, and is no longer interested in servicing families. This would be unfortunate for families who would otherwise have appreciated FM's service, but it isn't necessarily a bad business decision. I don't know.

PRices do have to go up sometimes. If you like Microsoft or Google software and interfaces and think it's a better deal, then go for it. Personally, I do not, and an occasional increase in FM pricing is not going to drive me away. It's only the family aspect that is a shame for...well, families. I wish I could make a deal with FM along the lines of, look, I'd be happy to increase the cost of my legacy accounts within reason over time, as long as I could retain the ability to mix larger accounts with smaller ones. But maybe this wouldn't be cost-effective for FM even with price hikes. Again, I don't know.

The post immediately preceding mine suggests that perhaps legacy accounts would not participate in certain feature upgrades going forward. That would be unfortunate, and would certainly prompt me to look around for alternatives. Thing is...in the end, I might choose to stick with FM anyway. I just like it.
Old 20 Aug 2016, 03:21 AM   #94
nighthawk700
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der View Post
Perhaps FM has decided it wants a professional, adult clientele, and is no longer interested in servicing families. This would be unfortunate for families who would otherwise have appreciated FM's service, but it isn't necessarily a bad business decision. I don't know.
I agree with you completely (kept the quote short since your post is right above). If they want to become more business oriented, that's their prerogative. And I did mention in an earlier post that I could see paying some more. Just not $50 per family member.

That said, at some point if things remain as it seems it will, hopefully those of us who use the family accounts can collaborate on research for other options that might work.
Old 20 Aug 2016, 03:38 AM   #95
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
While Fastmail at one time (correctly in my view) regardd the forum as a selling point, several years ago they had a change of heart and decided to try to hide it. Bill, who tends to have his finger on the pulse and understand what is happening, has indicated that we hurt their feelings with our reaction to the way the new interface was introduced. Following that, Fastmail tolerate the forum, but would rather it did not exist. The change in attitude dates back to when three forums were merged into one and all links from Fastmail's own website to the forum were removed.
FM may have disowned this forum, but they are certainly still interested in what goes on here.

One only has to occasionally look at the "Currently Active Users" to see they're "onsite", even if they're not commenting on anything.

And now, I've said that, I daresay they'll stop signing in to the forum!
Old 20 Aug 2016, 03:46 AM   #96
emailer84

I've found the recent features FM have added (app, proper two-factor, etc.) to be great.

There's something I'm not quite sure about though. For family plans, can you still upgrade (for example FULL to ENHANCED) within the family plan or are we stuck with our existing level?

If it's no longer possible to upgrade the legacy plans (and I certainly understand why FM would want to simplify their plans) I hope they consider offering a tiny plan (such as 1GB) that allows the use of our own domains for something like $20/year, including the ability to share a domain between several of these plans. Some of us just don't need a lot of space, but need our own domains.
Old 20 Aug 2016, 04:00 AM   #97
mekitron

Smile Family Matters!!!

We all are talking about our family accounts. Who is worried about Fastmail family (and their sub-families)? To be honest, everyone wants to make more money and save a little too. So, folks here with family accounts simply accept these new plans or find a new vendors because Fastmail doesn't sale any new "family accounts" now.

Sorry, I don't mean any offense.

Last edited by mekitron : 20 Aug 2016 at 04:19 AM.
Old 20 Aug 2016, 04:30 AM   #98
Jacinto
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by emailer84 View Post
. . .

. . . I hope they consider offering a tiny plan (such as 1GB) that allows the use of our own domains for something like $20/year, including the ability to share a domain between several of these plans. Some of us just don't need a lot of space, but need our own domains.
You may want to take a look ar Runbox:

https://runbox.com/price-plans/#showDetails

They have Micro accounts, $20.00 for the first and $8.00 for what they call a sub-account. If you can pay in Euros, you'll save a couple of Dollars over the USD price, unless you're in the Eurozone.

--
Jacinto
Old 20 Aug 2016, 05:07 AM   #99
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

One of the most cost effective currently has to be MXroute.

Granted, not the most feature set, when compared to FM.

From their website:

Small

$25 / Year
5 GB Storage
Unlimited Domains
Unlimited Email Accounts
Old 20 Aug 2016, 05:12 AM   #100
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Rollernet offers unlimited email accounts and domains with their $50/year Personal level. (Their prices are also going up, but you can be grandfathered into the current rate.) The only real restriction is the email storage space: 3GB, but with the option to pay an extra $0.25/GB. Granted, they don't offer the extras (calendar/contacts/file storage) that FM does.
Old 20 Aug 2016, 05:14 AM   #101
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
One of the most cost effective currently has to be MXroute.
..and they're having a sale.

40GB Storage
Unlimited Domains
Unlimited Email Accounts
$40 for two years
Old 20 Aug 2016, 05:21 AM   #102
TheJapanese

Maybe have a look @ mailbox.org from Germany.
Good and quite cheap.
Old 20 Aug 2016, 05:22 AM   #103
soromak
Cornerstone of the Community

I would take into consideration EuMX, too. With an official release of a new infrastructure coming in September they will offer 5 accounts (each with 25GB of storage), DNS hosting for free for one year and very competitive pricing (I am not authorised to discuss pricing but low!) afterwards. Users, aliases etc. are managed through a separate control panel with a separate admin user. I find their current (so called legacy) infrastructure very stable and with a real life geo- replication in 3 countries implemented in a new infrastructure should be even better. Obviously it is missing some bells and whistles from FM, but for this price (and with an excellent support from EuMX) might be hard to beat for an average user or family.
Old 20 Aug 2016, 05:58 AM   #104
krimlin
Essential Contributor

Just as a side note:
I'm on an enhanced account and have the "new" option Settings -> Policy.
I am allowed to change my name there, I am allowed to use custom domain login screens, but I'm not allowed to chance the theme on that screen?
Quote:
Not supported with historical plans. Please upgrade to a current plan to use this feature.
Well, although I don't exactly understand this "policy", I would prefer not to see options I'm not allowed to use.
Old 20 Aug 2016, 06:05 AM   #105
leifhlund

Currently FULL account - 20 $$/year

Is true. I have 10 aliases used Nine already.. Can detete some aliases. Some aliases for "Specific" folder deliveries. But i have only Ten/10 aliases
For 30$$ i would get almost An Indefinit limit of aliases (Was It 500 aliases??)
-
Okay. But I don't need 2Gb for email - sounds a bit like Mobile data-plans/talk.
Here Denmark buy subscription: 10 hour talk Ten Gb data-traffic - free SMS/messages. Pay every Month/subsription..
-
I have davfs/Filearea access To fastmail on my manjaro-install.. Not use it so Much though..
-
It is a subscription issue.. Pay to the limit You don't use
Closed Thread